Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,771,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The question is does having multiple interviews with everyone including the night janitor all asking the same retarded HR type question result in better chances of a good hire. It has been my observation that not only is the anwser no it often results in a worse hire as you are selecting for a better and better BSer. All you can relaibly get from those types of interviews is can this person act and dress in a professional manner. A technical interview can help assess competence but multiple ones are redundant and inefficient.
The issue is with one person, it opens up to did you read that person. With two or more, it gives more input that one didn't see. In the budget conscious and even worse ready-to-start, right-fit looking business mindset, one person isn't going to work. You need multiple view points. Now is going to the janitor right, not at all.

I agree technical interviews are good but you need to know if they are (somewhat) personable. For me, it is a bit hard because I am naturally shy (blame middle/high school and being teased for delay speech on that) does that mean I cannot communicate, no. I have however done well at school speeches, Boy Scout training and even got selected for jobs through interviews that I had in person and on the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,695,954 times
I had a Skype interview with the state of Hawaii, they had a panel of 4 people sitting on it. It was actually really good, one focused on one set of question topics, example: the bald skinny guy wearing glasses asked all the scientific questions, the heavy-set fella asked all the HR questions, etc.

It wasn't that bad, although I did not do all that great, I was not selected.

Another interview I had they brought all 18 candidates into the room together for a 2-day interview process. We had to take a math test, we had to get into groups and present team projects, and then after that it was individual project presentations. It was extreme and most of the candidates stated that for the company conducting this, to them it wasn't even worth it, as they had interviews at other larger companies that did not go to that extent. At the end of it I actually decided to pull my name, I just didn't like the position available.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:06 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,400,936 times
I definitely agree it correlates with company size. Im a corporate accountant with a Fortune 500. My interview process went as follows.

1. Controller called me and asked a bit about my experience. Scheduled interview
2. I interviewed with him and the Finance manager.
3. Had a phone interview with the HR rep, grueling personality crap that had nothing to do with accounting. "Tell me about a time where...."
4. Dead silence for 2 months.
5. Received an invite for a final interview with the Controller.
6 a month later got the offer.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,367,573 times
When I started working properly (I mean no longer in school/college) 14 years ago all my interviews were two part. Some not even interviews. For Hitachi I had an interview then a test with HP I had a test then an interview. Hell I moved in company from one State to another (technically from one part of the company to another in the same field though) and I had to do an interview for skills assesment that was required, they had to by company policy do it for internal apps apply for the same job and external apps before you moved onto the actual interview.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:46 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,308,339 times
Do employers really expect people to wait 2-3 months for a job offer..its crazy. I just applied to a job and happened to notice that the process could take up to 6 weeks which in reality is like 2-3 months. Interviews are redundant and bs these days. You still dont know if you're hiring the best person for the job.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,744,562 times
I generally aim for small companies and multiple interviews have been the norm.

20 person company:
Application
Phone screen with hiring manager
In person interview with hiring manager 2 peers I'd work closely with and the CEO
In person interview with another exec and peer from another department

From application to offer took around 10 days

50 person company:
Application
Follow up questionairre (in lieu of cover letter)
Phone screen with recruiter
Phone screen with hiring manager
In person with hiring manager and 2 peers and 1 director I'd work closely with. A 4th was added at the last minute while I was on site
In person follow up with hiring manager, 1 of the same peers, 1 new peer and the CEO

From application to offer took a little more than a week. In this role I felt like I got to meet everyone and ask lots of questions.

Smaller companies who hire well tend to do more interviews because fit is so critical on a small team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search