Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times

Advertisements

Ive been a shuttle bus driver before, and some of my co workers got into accidents and were injured. but its a bus, at least its more crash worthy.

im wondering about taxi drivers, delivery drivers (small cars), limo drivers,hotel vans, parts supplier, police, or any job that requires driving for 40 hours a week in a sedan or a van, is it more dangerous?

if anyone has worked in these fields, please reply. I know for a fact that for a person, the more time they spend on the road, the more chances they can get into an accident, and sometimes its not even their fault. theres tons of accidents on the road that are caused by someone else, and the victim dies because they are in the wrong place at the wrong time, and working at a driving job increases your chances of 40 more hours per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
My friend is a delivery type person for a medical supply company. He also sets up equipment too. On average he puts on about 300 miles a day.

He's been t-boned and had his van rolled over twice since he's worked this job... for less than 5 years.

He's also seen a whole bunch of stuff on the road that is pretty crazy too. Like the lady driving down the freeway at 80 MPH in front of him with her dog on her lap kissing her face... until she missed the turn on the freeway and drove straight into a wall...

Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Gotta drive "heads up". Heads up drivers avoid accidents, but I doubt that defensive driving can be taught to most people. Most people think they are great drivers.

I drove an 18 wheeler from 2005 to 2010 and put 750,000 miles (3000 miles/week) on it, too, so I was busy. I experienced several near misses, and can take credit for avoiding some close calls. As it was, I retired with a spotless record.

If you enjoy driving - really enjoy it - the chances are you will be safe. You get to where you can almost sense accidents. But if you don't really enjoy driving, don't try to drive for a living.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
Ive been a shuttle bus driver before, and some of my co workers got into accidents and were injured. but its a bus, at least its more crash worthy.

im wondering about taxi drivers, delivery drivers (small cars), limo drivers,hotel vans, parts supplier, police, or any job that requires driving for 40 hours a week in a sedan or a van, is it more dangerous?
This is an easy answer for me as long as I can get some information from you.

What's the probability you will be injured or die if you crash in a shuttle bus?
What's the probability you will be injured or die if you crash in a taxi?
How many hours per day are you driving a shuttle bus?
How many miles per day are you driving a shuttle bus?
How many hours per day are you driving a taxi?
How many miles per day are you driving a taxi?

The risk of danger is a product of probability and outcome (in this case injury or death). If the probability of injury or death in a taxi is twice that of a shuttle bus (just throwing out numbers here) and you drive the taxi half as often (in hours or miles) as the shuttle bus, then the risk is about the same.

Last edited by Cheektowaga_Chester; 12-06-2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old 05-26-2014, 11:45 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,379,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
My friend is a delivery type person for a medical supply company. He also sets up equipment too. On average he puts on about 300 miles a day.

He's been t-boned and had his van rolled over twice since he's worked this job... for less than 5 years.

He's also seen a whole bunch of stuff on the road that is pretty crazy too. Like the lady driving down the freeway at 80 MPH in front of him with her dog on her lap kissing her face... until she missed the turn on the freeway and drove straight into a wall...

has that friend quit driving or is still doing it?

Old 05-27-2014, 12:10 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
A driving job is absolutely more dangerous than your typical 9-5. But it's less dangerous than being a coal miner or an onsite petroleum engineer.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:29 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
I was doing IT for a hotel group and driving all over Europe, seemed dangerous. Just worked a 10 hour day in Berlin then a 6 hour drive to my next appointment. I almost fell asleep at the wheel too many times. Was fun for a couple of years though.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:42 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,021 times
How about EMT drivers? I always though that EMT drivers had to be a good wheel man or ladies...

( edge of the shelve) pedal to the metal.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:46 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
I drove a taxi when I was finishing in school and when I first started my company, I never had an accident, but many of the other drivers did. 90% of the time it was no fault of the cab driver but they go hit by idiots out drinking or driving distracted. Some of the people I worked with got hurt bad enough to put them in a coma, but for the most part the accidents were minor fender benders.

You need to be careful, it does not matter the type of vehicle you are driving, anytime you are on the road it can be dangerous even semis and trains are dangerous, not as bad for the drivers but for the general public around them they are the most dangerous things on the road.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I spent 5 years working in the field for a major utility, driving all day making about 40 stops a day in Oakland, CA. While I was involved in two minor accidents during that time (both the fault of the other driver and both cited) the danger was not from driving, it was from being robbed or assaulted, especially since one of my duties was turning off people's service for overdue bills. I look at vehicle accidents the same way as insurance companies do. It's a numbers game, the more you drive the more likely you are to get into an accident. On the other hand, the fatal accidents that you read about on a regular basis are most often the result of a drunk or cellphone distracted driver, with the victim just being unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that can happen to anyone whether they drive for a living or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment