Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should there be a minimum tip level mandated by law.
Yes, if a tip is given it should be at least 15% by law. 5 6.85%
Yes, but 15% is too high 1 1.37%
Yes, but 15% is too low 1 1.37%
No, the percentage should strictly be decided by the tipper 66 90.41%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:22 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
A restaurant deciding to raise its prices is not and should not be illegal; it's their prerogative. Paying below minimum wage should be illegal. Expected/required tipping from the customer in order to make up for the sleight is simply adding insult to injury.
No one is making below minimum wage at the end of the day.

While I'm not a fan of the whole tipping process I certainly don't think it would ever lead to less expense for the customer. Chances of restaurants paying more and not charging more are pretty much zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 11:54 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,871 times
We should get rid of tips entirely, and pay a fair wage to servers instead. That's what most other countries do - most people find it bizarre that Americans tip. Pay a fair wage for the job, and let that be that. Tips can go by the wayside. If someone is a bad server, then they get reported to their manager and given a warning, suspended, or fired, just like it would be at any other job. Notice that there are plenty of customer service jobs that aren't tipped, so it's not as if there will suddenly be a rampant amount of awful servers because they're not getting tipped and earning a fair wage instead.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:31 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Do you have data for that conclusion?

In states where the restaurant is required to "make up the difference" between the permitted lower-than-minimum wage and the tips, how does the restaurant determine that at the end of the day? Do they require the waitress to empty her pockets on the counter at the end of the shift? This isn't a rhetorical question--I really don't know. I know some waitstaff are required to share tips with busboys and others, so maybe they do have to empty their pockets at the end of the shift.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Do you have data for that conclusion?

In states where the restaurant is required to "make up the difference" between the permitted lower-than-minimum wage and the tips, how does the restaurant determine that at the end of the day? Do they require the waitress to empty her pockets on the counter at the end of the shift? This isn't a rhetorical question--I really don't know. I know some waitstaff are required to share tips with busboys and others, so maybe they do have to empty their pockets at the end of the shift.
I don't really know how they figure it out. Just know what the rules are.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
No, I would pay them enough NOT to need tips anymore, considering how hard their work really is.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:35 AM

389 posts, read 692,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

While I'm not a fan of the whole tipping process I certainly don't think it would ever lead to less expense for the customer. Chances of restaurants paying more and not charging more are pretty much zero.
In many states servers are paid $2-3/hour and must make up the difference via tips. Federal minimum wage is $7.25.

$2-3 < $7.25.

Again, restaurants deciding to raise their prices is acceptable. If you can't afford it, don't go out to eat.

If the restaurant cannot afford to pay at least federal minimum wage, they should not be in business, same as any other business.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I was shocked when I heard CO allowed servers to get paid something ridiculous like $2.35 or $3.10 hr plus tips that's slave labor, no thanks. Now I am sure some corporate apologist will come along and says those jobs were never meant to support a family
In Arizona servers were paid $2.17 hour for many years. In the last five years it has gone up to almost $5 hour so it IS getting a bit better. Having worked in food service for over 30 years I was definitely working for tips and, depending on where I worked and what hours, I could make around $20 hour...including tips. NO employer is going to pay servers that much. As a single mom of four I managed to support them just fine but there was never much left over to put into savings.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:43 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
I don't think it's a good idea. A better idea would be to mandate minimum wage before tipping and make tipping optional.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
In many states servers are paid $2-3/hour and must make up the difference via tips. Federal minimum wage is $7.25.

$2-3 < $7.25.

Again, restaurants deciding to raise their prices is acceptable. If you can't afford it, don't go out to eat.

If the restaurant cannot afford to pay at least federal minimum wage, they should not be in business, same as any other business.
And if the salary plus tips don't equal minimum wage the restaurant has to make up the difference. So you are wrong, they are not making minimum wage. For some reason you want to exclude tips as part of the compensation as well. Not sure why. They are part of a servers compensation. They go on their tax return. That money does in fact actually count.

And restaurant owners are just following the law. They aren't doing something illegal. If you really don't like the way it is set up then you should lobby to have it changed. And of course they can afford to pay minimum wage because they would just raise prices to offset it.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I don't think it's a good idea. A better idea would be to mandate minimum wage before tipping and make tipping optional.
Tipping is optional now.

But I get your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment