U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-11-2013, 06:02 PM
MJ7

5,158 posts, read 2,534,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Actually - if a compay is willing to fly YOU in for an interview (and pay for room/board) then they're also willing to do it for any qualified candidates - as it means they've opened the job up to a national (or at least inter-regional) search.

Which means you may have a LOT more competition, or at least higher level competition.

Usually a large company (fortune 500) will try to whittle the # of candidates down to a reasonable #, but that said - flying in and housing 3-5 candidates for a mid or higher level position would be very reasonable and no one would think twice about.
well yes, larger companies can afford to do this, smaller firms cannot. i was addressing smaller companies, 500 or less employees.

ive been flown to a 2 day interview before, i arrived 18 other candidates arrived, we had to share a hotel room with the other one, we had to take a math test after meeting the hiring managers from the company and then had to give team and personal presentations. they had 3 job openings and 18 candidates, it was odd. i did well, however, after learning more about the company i opted out of it, but it was an experience.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:39 PM

1,839 posts, read 781,020 times
It depends on the position and the company.

The only job I have gotten without knowing anybody was long-distance. I wanted the job, I went to the interview Thursday, said "I'm here, when do I start", so I got the job. Flew back home for the weekend and was at my new job Monday morning. The rest of it are unimportant details. For example my starting salary!!! It only lasted two months.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 PM

231 posts, read 548,707 times
I can't imagine why anyone would be OK with this, unless they were desperate or wanted the job more than anything else. $300 + a hotel is *nothing* for a company to pay if the right candidate is involved. That's just a cost of doing business. I've been in this situation *twice* before and both times, the company offered reimbursement without even asking. If they would have expected me to pay for a long trip myself, I probably would have laughed in their face and declined the offer.

You people who wouldn't even think about asking for reimbursement need to have more respect for yourself. Companies only get away with this bull**** if you let them. Besides, if a company is too cheap to pay a few hundred bucks for a plane ticket, do you really want to work there? If a company is "too small" to cover these costs, then they shouldn't be interviewing candidates from out of state in the first place.

Last edited by bighusker; 12-11-2013 at 10:12 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 10:14 PM

1,839 posts, read 781,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighusker View Post
You people who wouldn't even think about asking for reimbursement need to have more respect for yourself. Companies only get away with this bull**** if you let them. Besides, if a company is too cheap to pay a few hundred bucks for a plane ticket, do you really want to work there?

Sure you do. My buddy is the HR Manager for a well-known Hedge Fund. They got more money than God, yet they pay for nobody. You want it? You figure it out how to get there.

For them to interview you it's an achievement in itself. People would walk from LA to NY to get an interview there. And on average they do 20 interviews for 1 position. My friend, who himself has a Psych PhD from Columbia says that odds are longer to get an interview there than get admitted at an Ivy League school.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:34 AM

4,353 posts, read 1,466,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Sure you do. My buddy is the HR Manager for a well-known Hedge Fund. They got more money than God, yet they pay for nobody. You want it? You figure it out how to get there.

For them to interview you it's an achievement in itself. People would walk from LA to NY to get an interview there. And on average they do 20 interviews for 1 position. My friend, who himself has a Psych PhD from Columbia says that odds are longer to get an interview there than get admitted at an Ivy League school.
I think that you're probably talking about an exceptional employment situation, rather than a rule that can be applied generally. That's part of the assessment process: if you know in your heart that the company is "major league" then yeah, you buck the generalities, make an exception, and pay for the interview. A newly-minted CPA who has a chance to work at one of the big firms? Yeah, I'd probably take the gamble.

But if it's just a case of responding to an advertisement posted online and you're not necessarily familiar with the company, I think I'd pass. I think that in the end, a person has to decide what they're worth, and they have to evaluate the prestige of the company they're looking at.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:35 AM

7,754 posts, read 11,835,233 times
In a "perfect" world, I'd want them to pay for my travel expenses upfront. If one were of top executive or otherwise professional "rock star" status, then it would probably be assumed by all parties.

If I were Joe/Jane Schmo seeking a mid-level (or lower) opportunity, I'd want to be promised - in writing - that I would be reimbursed for my airfare and (if applicable) lodging if the company decided not make me an offer within 48 hours of the interview.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:48 AM

328 posts, read 258,817 times
I've flown myself out for an internship before. It seemed a little crazy at the time - to pay for a flight to an interview that wasn't even for a job or college - but it felt right in my gut. Ended up getting the internship and it led to a lot of other really great opportunities in my field. I certainly don't miss the $400 or so bucks I spent.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:39 AM

1,949 posts, read 1,491,790 times
Don't forget, you can also deduct your job search expenses. So your flight + fees, food, hotel, everything, can all be deducted in your taxes. So you really aren't paying the face value of everything.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 AM

1,546 posts, read 671,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Don't forget, you can also deduct your job search expenses. So your flight + fees, food, hotel, everything, can all be deducted in your taxes. So you really aren't paying the face value of everything.
That depends on whether you itemize or take the standard deduction.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:52 AM

1,546 posts, read 671,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Would I spend $300 to get a job that I wanted? Yes.
Who wouldn't? The real question is would you spend $300 to NOT get a job that you wanted? How many such jobs can you afford to chase?

I would only do it if I felt there was a very high chance of a successful offer. At a minimum, there should have been a phone/skype interview to let both parties screen for dealbreakers. From my end that would mean knowing exactly what the job duties are, the skills actually needed (as opposed to boiler plate listing), and the compensation offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment