Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:29 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
BTW, it's not just the South and Fundamentalists. While visiting friends in Utah, I once interviewed for a position at a small town newspaper there, and nearly the entire interview was about my personal background, where I had lived, how long I was married, my kids, that kinda thing, with hardly any questions about my job experience or qualifications. But as my friends later explained, "oh that was nothing, you were just interviewed by a Mormon" (and needless to say, I didn't get the job)!
Yeah, I had an experience very much like that. The only difference was that I am a Mormon. I didn't get the job either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 08:32 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
LOL!

It didn't go down quite like that, but FMJ is one of my all-time favorite movies. Great scene.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:46 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Report what? Did this cause you any loss?

It would have cost me my mind. Would it have been Ok to talk about my dedication to the black arts and belief in Satan? While not a law, it is surely unwise to do what this woman did. Anyone who has to fill their day with fictitious and controversial discussions is going to be a problem to stay clear of.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:37 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The appropriate response would have been "I'm glad to know religious discussions are OK. I always enjoy talking about Satan, my master."
Pretty much!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:44 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
I had a interview once with someone that also is a minister on the side and went to divinity school. Needless to say it was a bit awkward to say the least.

If someone wants to be religious that's fine but frankly just keep it from work.

Having said this though there are some companies that can be cultish. See the book Corporate Cults

A list of some groups A to Z can be found here World Religions & Spirituality | World Religions & Spirituality

Old 12-13-2013, 10:10 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBookofLife View Post
Please don't get offended and please correct me if I get some wrong information.
This is a good place to exchange information and I am interested in this kind of topics. I learn stuff from you guys all the time.

42 U.S.C. §§ 2000e Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, this law protects an employee’s EEO. It applies to the government and private employers. The law focuses on the protection of employees’ religious belief.
It makes it unlawful if an employer:
(1) Fails or refuses to hire or to discharge any individual, or discriminates against any individual because of such individual's race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;
(2) Limits, segregates, or classifies his employees or applicants for employment in any way which would deprive or tend to deprive any employment opportunities or adversely affect his status as an employee, because of such individual's race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
For an employee to be protected under Title VII, he must show that:
1. He/she holds a sincere religious belief and his/her belief conflicts with an employment requirement;
2. He/she has informed the employer about the conflict; and
3. He/she was discriminated against for failing to comply with the conflicting employment requirement.
Employers can even hold regular devotional or prayer meetings for employees so long as attendance is not required and the meeting is voluntary.
On the other hand, there is no law to ensure a religion-free workplace right. Attempting to create such a workplace may put an employer under liability for denying an employee's religious freedom.
Sorry, but you're a tad off-base here -- completely understandable because this is an extremely complex subject area. Not only are the laws and precedents complex, but the answers change a fair amount when one moves from private-sector to public-sector employment -- requirements are much more strict on public-sector employers. The answers also change a bit when one moves from secular employers to religion-based employers (e.g. Catholic Charities, World Vision, etc.).

First and foremost, Title VII does NOT "focus on the protection of employees' religious belief" -- it is far broader than that.

Second, and generally speaking, a religion-free workplace isn't a problem, but a solution. There are exceptions to this, and a "religion-free workplace" can be taken too far.

Third, employers cannot "hold regular devotional or prayer meetings" because it strongly suggests they favor one religion over others. Employers can "allow regular devotional or prayer meetings" as long as certain conditions are met. Again, there are exceptions.

Fourth, you're a bit off on your Title VII protection requirements. Your item 1 -- under American laws, including the Title VII regulations and all related case law, people with "no religion" are just as much a protected class/group as Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Wiccans, etc. Your item 2 -- in the employment application process, which is what this thread has been about, the person isn't yet employed, so this does not and cannot apply.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
You might respond by asking, "Do you mind if I discuss gay marriage and legalizing marijuana?"

Aggressive Christians are everywhere in the bible belt. In this secular society they think it's ok to proselytize at police stations, work places, public schools.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:44 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, I had an experience very much like that. The only difference was that I am a Mormon. I didn't get the job either.
So are you saying that you don't find it odd to have a job interview that seems more concerned with your private life… or that Mormons never discriminate?

Former Bain Executives Fired Employees for Not Being Mormon

Last edited by mateo45; 12-13-2013 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: link..

Old 12-13-2013, 10:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
What incredible bigotry and insularity on the part of almost all the posters! How can people have the gall to express condemnation of any topic of conversation save conspiring to commit a crime?

Additionally, insulting a member of management is not a way to insure successful employment.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:53 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Note that I AM technically Christian, but after seeing the direction the Church has taken and the real beliefs of most modern far-right "Christians," I have found that the more forward the person's religion, the more unreligious the person's actual beliefs are, sadly.
Should you edit your last phrase to "the more forward the person's religion, the more unreligious the person's actual practices are, sadly", then what I would have to say is

Um... er... ah... "Amen?"

Having been born and raised in the American South, and having lived there for the first 42 years of my life, I know exactly what you mean. One survival skill I learned -- if you have any other choice, NEVER do business with any firm that loudly and publicly proclaims itself as "Christian-owned." If you must do business with them, keep one hand on your wallet at all times, and be sure to count your fingers after every handshake.

==================================

Hi-Jack ON:

I have also decided that a large number of these far-right "Christians" should create, and elevate, and celebrate, a new saint -- Saint Ebeneezer (Scrooge). I mean, they already emulate him. "... if they are to die they had better do it now, and decrease the surplus population!"

How appropriate would it be, particularly at this time of year? Marley's Ghost would have several million new "friends" to visit, and the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Christmas Present and Christmas-Yet-to-Come would be working a significant amount of Holiday Overtime. (Union workers, consult your contracts for the details...)

Seriously, the truly sad part is that the lessons of Jesus' "whatsoever ye do unto the least of these" parable, as documented in Matthew 25 verses 34-46, seems to be completely lost on many far-right "Christians." This is both interesting and rather sad, because I was raised in a fundamentalist Southern Christian tradition. I learned this lesson, so why didn't they? This is the very reason I do not refer to myself as "Christian." I am nothing like them, and I refuse to be even remotely associated with them.

Hi-Jack OFF

==================================

My apologies. We now return you to the regularly-scheduled thread.

-- Nighteyes, who follows the teachings of Christ as he understands them

Last edited by Nighteyes; 12-13-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment