Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:55 PM

9 posts, read 27,790 times

Advertisements

What could one possibly do for an interviewer to say your not qualifed to work there? Doesn't everyone say jobs like those are for people starting out ? Now I can admit I do not have the best of social skills, I am not the kind of person you would want in a customer faced role. So I usually avoide those but no luck with that.either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 05:36 PM

n/a posts
i was once denied employment at the local burger place...

Old 12-12-2013, 05:37 PM

833 posts, read 1,192,118 times
First, I hope you don't spell like you do here, on the application. That could be problem #1. Other than that, some of the people I see working at Walmart, shouldn't even qualify to be working period. Are you over qualified? Or under qualified? I recently got an email from an employer that stated, I was overqualified for the position. I'm only 22 and it was an administrative assistant!!

It's all about luck when it comes down to entry-level positions like that. Best thing to do is keep trying. You'll eventually meet someone who will give you a chance. In the mean time, get educated so you won't have to continue to work at places like wallyworld.

Best of luck to you!! I remember telling my wife this when she was 16 (apply to 1,000 places. Chances are 1 out of the 1,000 will give you a shot)

If you're looking to get into "warehouse" type work. FedEx Freight hires no experience dockworkers P/T (you'll end up close to $20/hr DOL within the year, so about 10/hr full time only working 4 hours a day) they were the ones who gave me my first shot. Look into it.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 PM

833 posts, read 1,192,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
i was once denied employment at the local burger place...
You and I both

Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM

275 posts, read 452,066 times
During a 4-month spell of being jobless in a small Ohio town at 19 with some college experience and my previous job being for 3 years, I applied to over 50 places, including our local Wal-Mart.

I had only four interviews and finally got hired to a factory. From a few people I talked with, small-town politics played a part in a lot of decisions.

I wouldn't sweat it. Sometimes certain jobs get a lot more applicants than you would believe. Try seeking out some jobs that other people don't generally want to do - improve your odds that way!

Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 PM

615 posts, read 1,377,268 times
I wouldn't say so. I'm pretty sure I was once denied a job at McDonald's while in high school. I currently work a white collar job in Downtown, Chicago.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:22 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,677,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
First, I hope you don't spell like you do here, on the application. That could be problem #1. Other than that, some of the people I see working at Walmart, shouldn't even qualify to be working period. Are you over qualified? Or under qualified? I recently got an email from an employer that stated, I was overqualified for the position. I'm only 22 and it was an administrative assistant!!

It's all about luck when it comes down to entry-level positions like that. Best thing to do is keep trying. You'll eventually meet someone who will give you a chance. In the mean time, get educated so you won't have to continue to work at places like wallyworld.

Best of luck to you!! I remember telling my wife this when she was 16 (apply to 1,000 places. Chances are 1 out of the 1,000 will give you a shot)

If you're looking to get into "warehouse" type work. FedEx Freight hires no experience dockworkers P/T (you'll end up close to $20/hr DOL within the year, so about 10/hr full time only working 4 hours a day) they were the ones who gave me my first shot. Look into it.
This is great advice. I would also say to try FedEx and UPS. A lot of folks don't think to try these two places for entry level jobs. I know at FedEx Office, you would have the opportunity to learn actual skills that could help you earn more in the future. This is an entry level position. You might check them out.

Don't be too hard on yourself about being rejected by Walmart. My niece was rejected by them and ended up with a much better paying factory job. Not to mention, she ended up with benefits which she wouldn't have received from Walmart. I was also rejected by Burger King. I was 18 at the time and the economy was much better then.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,082 posts, read 80,136,113 times
Even Walmart has a lot of applicants, in DC they got 23,000 applicants for 600 jobs. Those are not good odds, especially if many of the applicants have experience and good customer service skills. It doesn't mean you are beyond help, it's just a numbers game. Hopefully you get lucky soon.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,483,002 times
While there are many things about job interviews that you CAN control or influence, there are at least two that you can neither control nor influence.

The first, and most important, is WHO you're competing with. Generally you don't have a clue about your competition, and even if you did you can do nothing about it. For example, you can be justifiably proud of being the World's-Second-Best at any job. Talk about excellent qualifications!!! Now, what's likely to happen if you go up against the World's First-Best in that job?

The second, and particularly for entry-level positions, is HOW MANY you're competing with. In keeping with our WalMart scenario, there was a very recent situation where they had about 600 or so openings, and got more than 23,000 applicants!!! How many superbly-qualified people do you suppose never even got an initial interview?

Last edited by Nighteyes; 12-12-2013 at 08:45 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 PM

29,628 posts, read 24,644,961 times
The first job I applied to was for a bus boy position at 16. Glad I didn't get it. About 4 months later, I got a $14/hr job, which allowed my to buy my first car in cash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment