Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,214,458 times

Advertisements

the way u say it it sounds cute. but of course it is not. u took his money but not give him what he paid for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,295 posts, read 80,538,426 times
For those of us that are exempt, coming and going without scrutiny is normal.

When we are paying hourly employees $25-35/hour, half an hour here and there adds up. That's what PTO is for.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:04 PM

45,081 posts, read 60,132,206 times
Yep. Of course I have "additional duties as assigned" which entail me reporting 1/2 hour before the scheduled start time. Which, if I didn't do them, would have to be done by a VP. None of them are ever on time, usually roughly 45 minutes to 2 hours late every day.

One did mention to it this year about leaving early. I just said "Fine. You'll be in tomorrow then at 6:45 when the first bus comes in so you can supervise the kids.". Nothing has been said since.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 PM

17,689 posts, read 29,659,234 times
Default Have You Ever Left Work Early & Got Caught?

Have You Ever Left Work Early & Got Caught?
No.
Never had that kind of job.
Have gone to lunch and not returned that day.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:35 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,434,169 times
One of my ex military friends has a business here in Toronto.

His business is a simple one. He contracts with companies that have large corporate fleets, that are driven by employees, to go out and do business, on behalf of their employer. One example is a company that services heating and air conditioning equipment. If the company thinks that a employee is goofing off and is a time waster, they call him to put a tracker device on the vehicle, so he can find it, during the working day. He follows the signal and keeps track of the movements and uses a video camera to record the actions of the employee.

Lunch at a strip club, for three hours, with five beers, or using the company vehicle to do a "moving job " for a relative, involving furniture and boxes. Or sleeping in a city park, for three hours, with the phone turned off. All of that and more, has been seen and reported to the client .

What he charges, by the hour, is nothing compared to a situation where a employee, driving a company vehicle, has a vehicle accident while impaired, and hurts or kills somebody else. Or the public sees a company vehicle , with it's name and logo all over the truck, parked outside a bar, in the middle of the day.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:20 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,767,136 times
Maybe it's just me but for the most part I find there's *ALWAYS* something to do. If you think there is nothing to do how about train others on what you know? How about find if there's anything people need assistance with?

Some might not like to hear this but you work for the organization, not the department.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:09 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Most "Middle age professionals" do not have set hours or a time clock, so what exactly are you catching them doing? I know most of the time I put in 60 hours a week or more. So if I need to leave an hour or two early to take care of something I'm not going to go and ask my boss like I'm a little child. By the time you are in middle of your career you should have built up enough respect to be able to manage your own time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
This.

Because people expect me to get stuff done regardless of the clock when it needs to be done, I'm not about to live by whether or not I blow out early on a Friday.
^^^^^ This right here. I've given countless hours of unpaid time, worked and/or traveled on my vacation days, etc so no one really cares when arrive or depart. IF I were blowing out really early, I would probably let my boss know so that if something came up ~ he wouldn't look bad by having no clue where I was.

When I started one of my first (and fondly remembered jobs) ~ we had a very young office and our boss traveled a LOT. We used to take turns leaving early on the days she was gone and would cover for each other. We also wore jeans on the days she wasn't there - we got caught on that one! We worked hard and enjoyed each other's company and had so much fun - including our boss.

Alas, corporate America is NOTHING like it was 'back in the good old days'. Now, it's like a brain surgeon has more room for mistakes than the every day worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment