Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:12 AM

9 posts, read 14,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
The fed jobs are usually more secure. If you take a chance and don't like the industry job, can you return to the fed job?
I doubt it. The number of jobs are shrinking. Lots of people are just dying to get into a federal job and hang on till they retire, so of I left it would be several years before I could get back in, if ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:19 AM

95 posts, read 249,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemnop View Post
I'm actually early 30's and have been with the Feds just over 10 years. Caught a few lucky breaks and scaled the GS ladder quickly. I'm a high 13 ( got it within 4.5 years). So I'm looking at long stretches between step increases now.
May I ask how you scaled the GS ladder so quickly without moving to DC? I've seen folks who are stuck on GS-5/7/9 levels for years and years.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:30 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sure, leave. There are people just as qualified as you, hungry for your job. Just know, it is easier to leave, then get back in. I have seen plenty leave, saying "Nah,nah, I got this, and this, and this..."...and want back in two years later, when their company lost the contract. And they are unemployed, FIFO.

If you have always worked fed, you have no clue about how cut throat private agency work is, and the level of expectations...

I think you are young, and full of yourself, and how awesome you are...we have all been there. I am older, and wiser. I know I am lucky to have a fat federal job, with the fat retirement benefits, and security. Been out there, glad to be out from the cold.

Don't think you have irreplaceable skills. And can come back any time....

Old 12-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Government jobs are not as secure as they used to be, including federal, but those stock options can lose their value a lot faster than a government pension plan. Also, it's a lot easier to go from private sector to public agency than the other way around.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:41 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
I wouldn't. Keep in mind there's a growing number of economics right now that are saying the stock market is in a bubble. So that wealth you are talking about might not be there in another 10 months.

You might have to deal with politics but at least it can be predictable from two sides. Imagine if where you worked was controlled by multiple interests that can buy and sell it at the drop of a hat.

I worked for a company where randomly a guy bought 10% of the place. He held it for a few months and then sold it. We're not talking a few million here we're talking tens if not a hundred millions of dollars. What was he planning? No one knows.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:55 AM

270 posts, read 405,688 times
Early 30's, STEM field - go for it. The best thing you can do for your retirement is make more money now and invest it. You've probably going to work another 30 years. If you are driven, talented, and motivated (and it sounds like you are), you don't want to decide at 33 years old that it's time to start marking time and step increases until you retire. The federal government is just another employer competing for your talent.

I'm a fed in a STEM field too, worked for the government for about 9 years now (I'm a GS-15) after they hired me from a contractor. I manage big, high visibility projects and within 5 years or so I'm going to move on because I'm not going to get paid much more than I do now. Government compensation for an engineer becomes less and less competitive the more senior you become, and the benefits package isn't that special (insurance is OK, the TSP may be a bit better than some 401Ks but there are no bonuses). I actually work a lot too (nights, weekends, holidays, you name it) and getting paid the same as some lazy GS-15 retired in place at a desk somewhere doing nothing doesn't appeal to me either.

I also really understand your point about the general loathing of federal employees. Unfortunately people often confuse those of us who "work for the government" with "the government". Many civil service employees could do much better for themselves outside of the government and feel they are serving the public. While there are a lot of freeloaders, there are also FBI agents, attorneys, engineers, meteorologists, and many others who protect the public.

As far as work/life balance, really depends on the job. Where I live there are lots of STEM jobs where you get paid twice what I do working 40 hours a week, as well as ones that work crazy hours. You need to ask people specifically at the employers you are looking at.

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoKramer View Post
May I ask how you scaled the GS ladder so quickly without moving to DC? I've seen folks who are stuck on GS-5/7/9 levels for years and years.
Sure - when hiring STEM grads they bring you in on an accelerated program. The first jump is given in 6 months ( only 5 to 7 or 7 to 9 though) then you were guaranteed a jump every year w/o having to compete up to a GS-12. They paid for my masters degree while I was a 9, and I had finished my time obligation just as I was finishing my 12. I started applying for jobs in industry and at other agencies but they wanted to hang on to me. When one of the 13s got a 14, I interviewed and got his slot. So from 5 to 13 took about 5 years.

But now I'm looking at 3 years between step increases and the 3.5% annual cost of living adjustments have been non existent. Nothing more depressing than the prospect of the same salary THREE YEARS in a row ( or a 1% inflation adjustment).
I don't mind working hard; I've had 2 jobs for the last few years trying to keep pace with rising prices. So i want to hear about life on the other side.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sure, leave. There are people just as qualified as you, hungry for your job. Just know, it is easier to leave, then get back in. I have seen plenty leave, saying "Nah,nah, I got this, and this, and this..."...and want back in two years later, when their company lost the contract. And they are unemployed, FIFO.

If you have always worked fed, you have no clue about how cut throat private agency work is, and the level of expectations...

I think you are young, and full of yourself, and how awesome you are...we have all been there. I am older, and wiser. I know I am lucky to have a fat federal job, with the fat retirement benefits, and security. Been out there, glad to be out from the cold.

I don't think that at all. If I leave I know I can't get back in. But you can't tell me you were never tempted by the 50% salary jump, the luxury shuttle buses, free food, and chance to work on exciting projects. I'm not talking about leaving to be a contractor. In talking about leaving for a major internet company.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemnop View Post
But now I'm looking at 3 years between step increases and the 3.5% annual cost of living adjustments have been non existent. Nothing more depressing than the prospect of the same salary THREE YEARS in a row ( or a 1% inflation adjustment).
I don't mind working hard; I've had 2 jobs for the last few years trying to keep pace with rising prices. So i want to hear about life on the other side.
This has happens in private companies as well. Many people went years with no increases (or bonuses). Some even had cuts.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:41 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

wiser? yet almost every post you make is irresponsible.

just because you like to sit on the pot and get a hand out from taxpayers does not mean everyone does.

private world is not for everyone, i say because you have been sheltered in a fed job for 10+ it may be hard to get back into a private world mindset. let us know what you decide to do...good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment