Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 12:35 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,050,410 times

Advertisements

Around 2.5 months, 2011-2012. Worst job ever. My job was seasonal, and they didn't keep me on past since I really sucked.

If it counts, my 2-month paid research internship at USF in Tampa in 2009 was a little bit shorter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 12:42 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,683,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
If it counts, my 2-month paid research internship at USF in Tampa in 2009 was a little bit shorter.
of course it counts, its a job. btw im a USF alum.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:23 PM

852 posts, read 3,800,766 times
I had a job for one day, an overnight clerk at a gas station, and had to go to arbitration to get my $25.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:33 PM

318 posts, read 472,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
Not what I'd call a "bad" sitcom, but your description put me in mind of this:

I love Lucy Candy Factory Video wmv - YouTube
This clip is hilarious! Thanks for sharing this!

Lucy captures perfectly that sense of frazzled desperation my friend and I felt that day... the only difference was that with us, there was periodic swearing.

Last edited by Sedivec; 12-15-2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,922,753 times
1 day!

I was hired to work for the guy that owned the place. His wife had an office next to his, never met her, never interviewed by her. The building was located on a big hill with a rear driveway access. Down the hill out front, no access except the lawn was a store. The wife sent me down that hill to get her a candy bar and drink at 10:00 AM. Fine and dandy no sidewalk I just hoof it down the grassy hill and back up.

At 2:30 wife comes out of her office and hands me her car keys and tells me to go to the school and pick up their three kids. How am I a rank stranger going pick up her three children!! She had already called the school and gave them my name and I would be driving her Caddy. I pick the kids up drive back to the office and kids want a candy bar and drink. Back down that dagum hill I go with high heels on and three kids. Back up the hill and the children want to play outside in front of the office. Guess who has to sit out there and watch them!! One of the guys that worked there came outside to smoke and told me I was about the 14th or 15th person they had hired for the job.

After yard playtime, we go inside and the children spread their books and homework out on my desk. Wife comes in and told her children if they had questions I would help them with their homework. Then wife tells me I can leave early. Whoopee, but and there was a but, I needed to drop the children off at their karate class first. She and hubby would pick them up when they closed up.

Never once in my interviews, my job description, never ever was child care mentioned. No mention of wife until first and only day I worked. Fetching and carrying candy bars and drinks up and down that small mountain side was never mentioned nor was hauling children or doing homework.

I went into the guy's office, that I had only seen one time that morning when I reported to work. I told him I was sorry but I would not be back.

My next two jobs I stayed at one 12 years and the last job I stayed 22 years! But I have never forgot my one day of climbing that darn hill and hauling candy bars and children!

Old 12-15-2013, 03:30 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,149,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpegg0 View Post
2 hours at Burger King. It was my first job, and I was barely 16 years old. I walk in the first day and they hand me a uniform shirt size 2X (obviously not my size) that I'm almost positive had not been washed. It was covered in sweat stains and smelled like an onion ring. They gave me no training yet got frustrated when I could not magically work the registers. I went home early and called the second day to tell them I wouldn't be back.

I quickly discovered that food service was not for me.
I think we tie for first place I lasted 2 hours before I was fired from a part time job in a dress shop when I was about 16 or 17. The boss lady was very aggressive and pushy with her selling techniques, and I was not. When a customer tried on a dress and said she thought it didn't look right, it was a bit small, I was overheard agreeing with her. Apparently I was supposed to tell her she looked awesome, and convince her to buy even more. I was so relieved to be let go.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:34 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,961,601 times
About 2 days, maybe 3 as a telemarketer. I went back at the end of the week and the place was empty. Never got paid.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:38 PM

826 posts, read 1,888,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpegg0 View Post
2 hours at Burger King. It was my first job, and I was barely 16 years old. I walk in the first day and they hand me a uniform shirt size 2X (obviously not my size) that I'm almost positive had not been washed. It was covered in sweat stains and smelled like an onion ring. They gave me no training yet got frustrated when I could not magically work the registers. I went home early and called the second day to tell them I wouldn't be back.

I quickly discovered that food service was not for me.

Lol. That cracked me up.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:46 PM

532 posts, read 955,246 times
Not me, but a coworker was on day 2 as a receptionist. About 2 hours after opening she told the other receptionist she left her lunch in the car and was going to go get it. She never came back. One of the managers drove around the parking lot just in case she had been hit by a car or assaulted, she was not there. They called the police (just in case something had happened to her), the HR Manager called me to see if I could give them a description -- I said I thought she was tall!

We never heard back from her or about her, or obviously she just got in her car and left.

Our question was...why come in for 2 hours?

Old 12-15-2013, 05:01 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,556,666 times
3 days. I worked for a company that went door-to-door trying to get people to switch their energy policy. It was a Chicago winter, it was cold, and it was awful. I came down with a bad case of strep throat and flu from the stress and temperatures. I was cut a check for $60 and left, vowing never to return to their city ever again. I still get nightmares just thinking about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment