Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:23 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Would you advise to give two week's notice still?
How many people work in your current company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 AM

87 posts, read 261,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
the whole concept of why do we have to give them two weeks and they dont give us two weeks has been kinda talked to death. yeah its not fair but thats how you gotta play the game. if you never need this reference again dont give it to them, if you do need the reference you gotta give the two weeks and wait to see what happens. your probably not going to stay with this new job for life and at sometime in the future you probably wont want that gap on your resume about this employer your talking about so just give them the two weeks. maybe even express to themyou are interested in working and helping with the transition. the reason tehy do let people go is they figure how hard are yougonna work when your leaving probably more socializing saying goodbyes, etc.
OP - What did you decide to do? How did it turn out?

Old 12-17-2013, 08:33 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Give two weeks.

It is the 'right' thing to do.

You never know when your path will cross with someone who was/is aware that you were less than 'professional' when you left the job.

More importantly, you have to live with yourself. It is a lot easier to do when you behave in a moral manner.

If they toss you out the door, so be it. YOU did the right thing; THEY have to live with their behavior. I know in the short term that is hollow consolation, but trust me, what goes around, comes around. Karma is hell.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:40 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
I would recommend always giving 2 weeks. Don't burn bridges.

Additionally, some places have it in their employee handbook that if you don't give two weeks notice they do not have to pay out any accrued but unused vacation time (laws vary by state). THAT can end up being a huge hit to the wallet as well.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:58 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
How many people work in your current company?
About 1,000.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:00 AM

So against my intuition, I gave two weeks notice to my manager yesterday. She was surprisingly supportive and happy for me. Honestly, it was not the reaction I was expecting from her given how the company culture is so cut-throat. I thought she'd be more straight-to-business and let me know that my services would no longer be needed. She did not react that way at all though. After telling her how appreciative I was of her mentorship and the opportunity to work here, she told me she was very happy for me and that she'd always have my back. It went very well.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
So against my intuition, I gave two weeks notice to my manager yesterday. She was surprisingly supportive and happy for me. Honestly, it was not the reaction I was expecting from her given how the company culture is so cut-throat. I thought she'd be more straight-to-business and let me know that my services would no longer be needed. She did not react that way at all though. After telling her how appreciative I was of her mentorship and the opportunity to work here, she told me she was very happy for me and that she'd always have my back. It went very well.
Glad to hear it and good luck on your new job!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Glad to hear it and good luck on your new job!
Thank you. It was a year and a half in the making.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
I would take the high road and give them notice. I understand where you are coming from. Be better than them.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:49 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Lightbulb Eventually the company stock was delisted and they got picked up for pennies by the largest competitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80
I'd say look at your employee handbook. If it says you are required to give 2 weeks notice and you provide it and they terminate you immediately you have grounds for a lawsuit and possibly to declare unemployment as then it becomes a termination
Not sure about the lawsuit.

If you give notice, and they let you go immediately, the company has effectively fired you. This means you can immediately file for unemployment benefits, and they cannot dispute your unemployment by claiming you quit, nor by claiming you were terminated "for cause". Settled law in most states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Additionally, some places have it in their employee handbook that if you don't give two weeks notice they do not have to pay out any accrued but unused vacation time (laws vary by state). THAT can end up being a huge hit to the wallet as well.
If you don't trust the employer, schedule +2 weeks of paid vacation, give notice the day before vacation starts.

I worked for a few months at a company run by a controlling jerk who would routinely pull the "terminated immediately, no extra pay" card whenever somebody gave notice. The "extended vacation" technique became so popular, they updated the employee handbook so you couldn't schedule a vacation longer than 5 days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment