Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:12 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times

Advertisements

It works the other way from the outside. I know a few women who are having a hard time getting a second interview once the interviewer finds out they have Mom duties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 07:45 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
It works the other way from the outside. I know a few women who are having a hard time getting a second interview once the interviewer finds out they have Mom duties.

The company needs to focus solely on work duties. The candidate needs to be able to explain why they can focus on work duties the same amount of time, with the same sigular focus, as any other employee. If they cannot do that, the corp is doing a disservice to all staff if they hire them.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:01 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Employers aren't in business for being flexible they are in business to make money. A single person should be at a disadvantage at work because they get to go home and not have to deal with children? What if they have other things to care after?

To answer the original question, this is something I've seen everywhere I've been but I wouldn't necessarily say it's unfair, just there are different expectations. I've been asked to stay late to finish tasks in situations when a person with a child would never have been asked. However, I've never noticed the child situation to be abused by coworkers and I've never personally cared about the double standard as I understand the necessities of childcare and it's on me to address the double standard if I don't agree with it.
And that's my point -- if someone is abusing something, then it's on the offended person to speak up. Individuals doing individual things do not represent the collective group of working parents. Employers aren't in the business to be flexible, but at the same time it also is part of doing business. Being rigid, one way or the other, doesn't work. In fact, there are many big-ticket employers that actively promote work/life balance and consider it as a benefit to prospective employees. Other employers offer such things as backup childcare so that employees do not have to miss work.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 PM

914 posts, read 942,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
You can say this sort of thing about other things too... like smokers compared to non-smokers. Smokers at my job take many breaks, so how is that fair to me the non-smoker?

At any rate... there's nothing to be "upset" with or to "complain" about on this subject... family should come first not only for us who have kids but our employers need to be flexible as well. You being single are not at a "disadvantage" because... hey guess what... you get to go home after work each day and do what you want when you want and how you want. You can sleep in peace as well and yadda yadda yadda...

So the "advantages" and "disadvantages" work both ways.

The days of mom staying at home to be a house wife and caring for the children while dad makes all the money are now over.... most families simply can't afford to have just one person working and one person staying home. So you as the single not married with no kids people have to deal with this and so do all employers. Just remember though... those moms and dads who try to abuse this priveledge to be home or go home because a kid is "sick" and are caught lying about this will be handled approproatly.. i.e. termination.
Speaking as a smoker, who worked many jobs for companies before starting my own company (now I work when I feel like it, lol) - I often would take fifteen minutes less lunch in order to get an extra cigarette break.

This seemed common in most of the places I worked, and most supervisors I had were amenable to you taking your break times whenever you needed, so long as you did not take more break time, between breaks and lunches....as anyone else.

So some took their 2 fifteen minute breaks and a half-hour lunch....others took four fifteen minute breaks, etc. As long as you were fairly consistent with how and when you split up your breaks there was never a problem.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

There should be no special consideration that would impact either the business or a single colleague w/o 100% pre-approval from all impacted.
I'm only getting "approval" from a boss. I'm not getting "approval" of any kind from co-workers. I will, however, have the common courtesy to make sure that I get as much work done as possible and consult with them about whatever plans that I may have. Thankfully, my work environment is not so acrimonious. I don't do shift work and I do not work in a pooling environment. I work with three men, two of whom are family men themselves. So, we all get along. Quite well I might add.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Yes, I can believe that. I'm pretty certain that my single, no kids status was an asset when I was interviewing. What do some employers see when they are interviewing a mother? Excessive absences, inflexibility, kid drama. Thankfully in my case, it all came down to me being liked regardless of my status.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 PM

914 posts, read 942,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The problem is PEOPLE DON'T TALK ABOUT IT. They snipe away at each other behind everyone's back... everyone starts to resent everyone... Dysfunctional work space.

When I was single without kids at ANY of my jobs I was ALWAYS willing to help someone out that had kids. Always. But y'know what??? When I needed a favor....

"Hey Jane, can you cover for me? Gotta take the dog to the vet".
And Jane should RECOGNIZE without being told "I help you out all the time".
Reminds me of the time my mom's dog got hit by a porcupine in the morning before work. The dog came back with porcupine quills all in her face - fortunately none in the eyes.

And she had to call in to work to tell them this one.

The boss was okay, but she said, "that has to be real, or the most inventive excuse I have ever heard!"

My mom managed to get the quills out herself and was two hours late to work that day, but no vet needed in the end.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise;32653731.
What do some employers see when they are interviewing a mother? [B
Excessive absences, inflexibility, kid drama[/b].

Quite often, that is an accurate portrayal.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:57 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
You shouldn't have ever let it be known that you are single, because your marital status has no impact on your ability to do your job.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:41 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
Yes, when I was a single dude. I always felt just so slightly subhuman.

Now I'm married but with no kids, and there is still a palpable difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment