Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:46 PM

170 posts, read 371,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So common sense.
It's not common sense. A lot of people in college have it drilled into their head to "Just finish! Get your degree! After that, you can figure out what you want to do."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,827,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's a great degree if you plan on completing college.
Yep. Pass the actuarial exams after getting a math degree and you can make a very nice living.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,036,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
Not sure what you're talking about. As I mentioned twice already, I completed college 10 months ago.
My apologies. The way that I read it I thought you left college after achieving your bachelors degree.

Have you considered applying to actuarial, research, or academic jobs (becoming a professor)? With the high level of education you have, doors are open.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:06 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,764,862 times
Quote:
My problem is that I have no significant experience to show for any type of position that exists. For instance, if a company wants an Entry-Level Business Analyst, they're hire a Business major who spent a summer entering data into Excel. They might consider hiring a Math major, but he's at a huge disadvantage if he doesn't have any formal experience doing what he's expected to do as a Business Analyst. The idea that I can have a weak background but be able to wow a hiring team with my intelligence and interviewing skills, is a pipe dream.
They aren't going to hire a business major because frankly that's what is expected. There are many majors that frankly do not exactly go with the job itself. Business majors cannot write and therefore cannot document in detail specifics. A sociology on the other hand is printing press they cannot write an executive summary.

How do you know you don't have experience? Have you been specifically told that?

How about this. Take a look at everything you've done. Put it in terms of what that meant to the stakeholder that you made it for. Find out industry terms and how that incorporates. Also remember what matters is not so much the job title but what you did. I know people in management that did nothing. Delegation is fine but this guy sweated gallons when asked basic questions. Meanwhile I knew some mid range managers that could do and know everything in the company.

It also helps to look up who you are interviewing with and their background as well to make things more relevant (try linked in).

Consider this. You can get people to agree or disagree on a given subject based on what they get out of it. The reasons can be different but the agreement/disagreement might not be.This is selling, pure and simple.

As for being in a better position consider the following. Many companies are copy cats. They don't do anything unless their competitor does something first. I worked for one. Well rumor has it the competitor is going to start asking for degrees. If this one follows (and it will) then then that means there's plenty of salary managers that are trapped. The older one gets the harder it is to go back to school, especially if they are salary and putting in at least 50 hours a week. Factor in children and the ability to relocate and eventually you have and advantage, not a disability.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:10 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,801,517 times
Quote:
It's not common sense. A lot of people in college have it drilled into their head to "Just finish! Get your degree! After that, you can figure out what you want to do."

It is common sense. The advice you just touted can work fine if the person has drive, which you do not. Lots of people I went to school with had no idea what they wanted to do, so they were pursuing multiple paths via internships and gaining experience while exploring different fields (something you didn't do).

For people without drive, having a very laid out path is necessary. Heck, you still don't seem to know what you want to do, and you don't want to do grunt work it seems or intern, so no wonder no one is hiring you.

You have an excellent general degree that can be utilized in most every field. The problem isn't your degree and there is zero doubt that you wouldn't be better off without it. You might be the same, but not better.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:11 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,490,217 times
I never went to college and started with a design internship for $15/hour. The outlook was definitely very good early on, and I was quickly promoted to a mid level design contractor making a very healthy hourly rate. However, almost 4 years in and I feel my career growth lost all it's steam and I'm very stuck where I am. It's been a struggle to hold down work, and finding new work often takes 3-6 months of unemployment. My bank accounts the last 4 years have gone from tremendous savings to being drained to my last $1000 due to the on and off nature of contractual work.

In short, it's been pretty good, but not an excellent path. I hear many stories of people who started work right out of college but "plateaued" about 3-5 years down the road and had to go back to college to advance further. In fact, I've enrolled to get my degree, it will only help, and I guess you can say I have the benefit of having a decent job while I pursue school on the side.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:23 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,541,734 times
Here's a (good) sample:

- Finance Analyst - USA - Houston TX 77042

you cant apply for that if you don't have any degree. (enjoy your warehouse job)
these jobs are typical, IT companies trying to maintain their pool of IT generalists (financial system support) for their own software and the competition and other widely distributed software. They'll probably give a low pay for entry level but think of it as a launch prep of your rocket powered career (assuming you wont slack around) and it will shoot up when you do impressive work. it will shoot up even more if you go work for the big firms (with experience)

This is the only book Isorta read after college. I just skim thru it and I cant even get passed chapter 5. I reread it just before an interview

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Options And Futures, 2nd Edition: Scott Barrie: Amazon.com: Books

this is too easy for you and most people. whats important is you can pickup 'trader linggo', 'how THEY make money'. you don't even need to buy the book, investopedia, Wikipedia etc is good

I am comfortable coding, even tho I do not understand finance that well. I just think everything is simple math in programming... there is always a natural progression on how to solve math problems. everything in life and work is the same

BTW I have an electronics engg degree. useless? mostly but its my excuse for being introvert, technical, punky, bad with English etc in a professional way.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:50 PM

170 posts, read 371,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post

Strong knowledge of financial principles and accounting/budgeting practice

Strike 1!

Understanding of core finance business processes to ensure timely delivery of financial results including Quarterly Business Reviews, close process, SOX controls, and Audit

Strike 2!

Understanding of BMC business drivers and financials

Strike 3!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,955,630 times
Quote:
B.S. Mathematics
Hold on...

You're 24 and recently graduated college if I recall correctly. You should be 6 or 7 years out of high school, no? Did you not go to college right away....change majors...only go part time...the time doesn't add up. What else did you do in that time?

Old 12-16-2013, 11:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,036,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Hold on...

You're 24 and recently graduated college if I recall correctly. You should be 6 or 7 years out of high school, no? Did you not go to college right away....change majors...only go part time...the time doesn't add up. What else did you do in that time?
He stated earlier that he completed college. He has a PhD or similar... which is good for 24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment