Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
id rather not disclose this, but it should be way more i feel for my educational background and experience.

i have a published MS degree and 4 years experience (3 professional, 1+ academia). people i work with get paid the same with a BS degree and fewer yrs experience. but 11k added is a great increase from what it is now, not huge but enough to make a move...even though ive only been with this company for a short amount of time (< 1 yr).
How big of a percentage raise are you getting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:13 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Saltbox View Post
If you're offered more to stay and you accept, it's not a good idea, in my opinion.

The reasons you wanted to leave are still the same.

If they're offering you more money because they're afraid they'll lose you, why weren't you worth more money a month ago??

Usually the employer offers more money because without the employee, he's up a creek without a paddle. In my experience, it doesn't work for the long term.
Precisely!

Don't leave just because of money. Don't stay because of money either.

I doubled my pay in the 12 months I left my first company. Not looking back at all.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
how long did you end up staying there?
I don't remember exactly; guessing at least another two years.

Quote:
i have an offer right now for an 11k/yr raise...i was debating telling my boss and seeing if theyd try to match, although i doubt theyd be able to match it, they might offer me 5k though...itd be a tough position.
That's a nice chunk of change. What are the pros and cons of staying? Of leaving?

Of course it's a risk to ask your current employer to match the offer. Only you can determine if it's worth that risk to do so.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Saltbox View Post
If you're offered more to stay and you accept, it's not a good idea, in my opinion.

The reasons you wanted to leave are still the same.

If they're offering you more money because they're afraid they'll lose you, why weren't you worth more money a month ago??

Usually the employer offers more money because without the employee, he's up a creek without a paddle. In my experience, it doesn't work for the long term.
I wouldn't necessarily say this is true, but it could be a valid consideration. Sometimes people will try to obtain offers from other companies to negotiate a counter offer for a promotion from their current company. One of my supervisors did this once. He was informally working at a director level, but his pay and title were only at the "senior" level. He applied for open director positions and received an offer from another company. He told his current company about the offer and they immediately went into OH **** mode and threw out a nice counter offer in fear of losing their top level guy in that department. He got officially promoted to director with a nice 20k salary increase on top of it.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:19 PM

50 posts, read 97,608 times
My husband is a HR Director... Here's his advice:

Never ever stay when offered a counter offer.

Here's why:

1. They know you wanted to leave.
2. They know you are only staying due to money.
3. If you leave right then, they have no one to fulfill your position and are essentially "screwed."
4. They usually cant afford the raise, BUT will offer it to you - while they look for your replacement.
5. They know its only a matter of time before even the money cant keep you ...

Never accept a counter offer ... you had a reason for leaving, so do it.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:52 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Well maybe different as I live and work in Germany but my HR person basically said the best way to get a raise is to get an offer from outside. If they want to keep me they will match, if not I will go. Am cutting out an hour early to go to an interview in a couple of hours.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:47 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleberrypie View Post

Here's why:

3. If you leave right then, they have no one to fulfill your position and are essentially "screwed."
4. They usually cant afford the raise, BUT will offer it to you - while they look for your replacement.

This is the reasoning Ive been given as well to never accept a counter offer.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:17 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleberrypie View Post

Here's why:

Sage advice! Solid for sure. Never stay when counter offered.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 AM

914 posts, read 943,000 times
I went back to a previous employer once for the same pay as I had been getting.

This was a second job, and one which I had enjoyed doing. It was simply a matter of, for a time, not having needed a second income. The first time I worked for them, it was part-time, and all I had. I left them for a full-time position.

Later, when planning my move from KY to TX...I decided to build up an "escape fund" as it were, to have extra on hand when I moved, just in case things didn't work out.

It turned out to be a good thing I did that, because the job that transferred me to TX...pink slipped me two months later.

All the jobs went to Puerto Rico.

So I had unemployment, plus my saved funds to exist on until I could find something else.

This is when I wound up working three jobs, as I mentioned earlier. First I picked up the newspaper route, then the market-research gig, then found the full-time job at the answering service.

After a time, I quit the newspapers, and then, later moved from the answering service to the insurance company I worked with...then quit the market-research thing.

Then got screwed by the insurance company, and wound up, my last year in TX, working temp jobs and delivering a store and rack route for the Houston Chronicle, while living in Austin. Of course, all the deliveries were in Austin.

Then, Hurricane Katrina happened, and it became clear I was not going to find permanent employment where I was at, as local employers began giving hiring preference to refugees.

That's how I wound up here in PA...which led to me being where I was when I was...which led to my disability - and led to my acquiring a new skill set, and now launching my business.

Been a wild ride.

But, most jobs I have been at...I wouldn't go back for even double the pay. With a few exceptions. One being the market-research company in KY I already mentioned, I'd go back to them yet again if I still lived there. And they'd probably take me back, too. I was good at what I did.

The answering service in NJ, which I did not mention, where was working part-time while on disability...I'd go back to them, too, except that they got sold to an out-of-state company.

I think most of us could isolate a job or two that we would go back to - but most of us would not go back to most of the jobs we've had.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We actually have a policy that provides for matching an offer when a key employee has an outside offer and the CEO signs the paperwork. I have never seen it happen though. There are a lot of people in the cemetery that thought they irreplaceable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment