Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 04:34 PM

47 posts, read 70,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Have you ben diagnosed with anything? Most conditions can be overcome enough to function by learning some coping skills.

Good luck to you. I guess your parents don't mind taking care of you. *shrug*
Actually, I have. Asperger's Syndrome. Let me see if I can find it...

Quote:
individuals with AS have deficits in some tasks involving visual-spatial perception, auditory perception, or visual memory. Many accounts of individuals with AS and ASD report other unusual sensory and perceptual skills and experiences. They may be unusually sensitive or insensitive to sound, light, and other stimuli; these sensory responses are found in other developmental disorders and are not specific to AS or to ASD.
To be honest, there was already talk of me going on disability for this. I just don't want to go on it because I think there has to be something out there I can do. The idea of just sitting back on disability for the rest of my life until I grow old and die just doesn't seem very appealing... you know? I'm not a stupid person, I just don't have other people's reflexes and ability to handle copious amounts of sensory input. In ever other way, my mind works fine.

My issues are mostly triggered when I try to do something like drive, or I'm in a huge, noisy crowd with boisterous people. Almost any other situation, I can generally handle.

Last edited by jeremy1988; 12-17-2013 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:37 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
Given everything you've said so far. You should be a call center rep. It's not pretty work, but it's work that has high turnover that you should be able to find a job in. It'll also pay better than minimum wage.

The only thing is, you can't answer a call and as soon as someone yells at you because their item broke, quit because people are mean.

When I said tighten your bootstraps, I don't mean you need to have a competitive advantage, you just need to work hard enough to seem like you really don't want live off your parents for the rest of your life and be a contributing member to society.

You can also get student loans. Take out a loan for the algebra class. Then it's on you. Maybe because it's your own money you'll have to pay you'll try harder. Also, I hate to break it to you, but every math class at pretty much every university ever is going to be taught the same way. They will not care if you turn in the homework or not. Pass the exams and you're good to go.

You need to think about tomorrow. Because heaven forbid, what are you going to do if your parents pass away?

Old 12-19-2013, 12:50 AM

47 posts, read 70,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Given everything you've said so far. You should be a call center rep. It's not pretty work, but it's work that has high turnover that you should be able to find a job in. It'll also pay better than minimum wage.

The only thing is, you can't answer a call and as soon as someone yells at you because their item broke, quit because people are mean.
I could probably do that. The reason Wal-Mart was so bad is because of the physical expectations, plus being yelled at by a customer isn't nearly as intimidating as being yelled at by a superior.

Quote:
You can also get student loans. Take out a loan for the algebra class. Then it's on you. Maybe because it's your own money you'll have to pay you'll try harder. Also, I hate to break it to you, but every math class at pretty much every university ever is going to be taught the same way. They will not care if you turn in the homework or not. Pass the exams and you're good to go.
In the past, I've had teachers that seemed pleased if you did well or seemed a bit disappointed if you didn't meet their expectations. I did a lot better in those classes. I've observed, however, that Math teachers tend to be some of the most hands-off, apathetic teachers out there.

They just kind of toss the material out there and administer tests, they're condescending and confusing if you ask for help understanding something, and they have all the charm and enthusiasm of a lethargic fast-food worker on antidepressants.

What about a Math tutor? It has been suggested to me before that I might benefit from more individualized attention on that subject, since it's a problem area for me. Any chance of them having a better attitude?
Quote:
You need to think about tomorrow. Because heaven forbid, what are you going to do if your parents pass away?
They're going to leave me enough money to get by for a long time without income. Money isn't what scares me though. It's the fact that I would be truly alone if that happened, especially since I'm asexual.

That's the one reason I want a job so badly. That way, at least I would have co-workers and acquaintances to face on a daily basis.

One of the most unnerving things about life is that it usually follows this course:

Birth-Childhood-College-Career-Marriage-Children-Retirement-Death.

But mine is shaping up to look more like... this:

Birth-Childhood-Retirement-Death.

So, I REALLY want to put College and/or Career in there if I can, and get as much out of them as possible. I've lost two milestones stages by virtue of my nature, I don't need to make it four. Life is too short already.

Thinking about the future without those two things is more than a little sad, and money isn't even the main reason why.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:55 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1988 View Post
I could probably do that. The reason Wal-Mart was so bad is because of the physical expectations, plus being yelled at by a customer isn't nearly as intimidating as being yelled at by a superior.

In the past, I've had teachers that seemed pleased if you did well or seemed a bit disappointed if you didn't meet their expectations. I did a lot better in those classes. I've observed, however, that Math teachers tend to be some of the most hands-off, apathetic teachers out there.

They just kind of toss the material out there and administer tests, they're condescending and confusing if you ask for help understanding something, and they have all the charm and enthusiasm of a lethargic fast-food worker on antidepressants.

What about a Math tutor? It has been suggested to me before that I might benefit from more individualized attention on that subject, since it's a problem area for me. Any chance of them having a better attitude?

They're going to leave me enough money to get by for a long time without income. Money isn't what scares me though. It's the fact that I would be truly alone if that happened, especially since I'm asexual.

That's the one reason I want a job so badly. That way, at least I would have co-workers and acquaintances to face on a daily basis.

One of the most unnerving things about life is that it usually follows this course:

Birth-Childhood-College-Career-Marriage-Children-Retirement-Death.

But mine is shaping up to look more like... this:

Birth-Childhood-Retirement-Death.

So, I REALLY want to put College and/or Career in there if I can, and get as much out of them as possible. I've lost two milestones stages by virtue of my nature, I don't need to make it four. Life is too short already.

Thinking about the future without those two things is more than a little sad, and money isn't even the main reason why.

At any job, you're going to have to deal with a superior that is going to yell at you, if you mess up a lot. So just don't do that and you'll be fine.

A math tutor will be the best thing for you. They will work 1 on 1 with you and make sure that you have all the concepts down. Algebra is like a tool box. You just need to learn how to use the tools, and then you'll be able to do everything. The tutor will teach you how.

I've taken up to Calc III and a few other high level math courses, and EVERY one of them taught the exact same way. Pretty much read word for word out of the book during the lecture, didn't really answer questions, and then assigned homework.

I really recommend trying out a call center. Places are always hiring for those. If you can get one at a bank, that would be great because they pay well.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:08 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Asperger's can be an impediment to employment on it's own. Combine that with the inability to do high school level math by college and I see a disaster.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:11 AM

473 posts, read 796,381 times
I happen to work in a field involving people who feel they are unable to find any suitable job. In some cases, there really is no work. For others, they just have no real desire to work. Then for some, they sincerely believe they cannot work, but really can. These people have heard so many times that they cant do anything, they actually begin to believe it. You sound like you are in the last category. Given your current situation where you are well cared for, you have less urgency regarding a need to find a job and that can further compound the issue.

However, dont give up on work simply because the Wal-Mart gig didn't pan out. It sounds like that job was just a bad fit for your physical conditions. Understandably, they likely weren't pleased with the performance and that was likely fair, though your impairment would likely amplify the impact of their commentary. The job of stocker involves lifting boxes, moving boxes, and stocking shelves. It sounds like that is not work you find yourself suited for. It was not like they advertised a data entry job, but then when you showed up switched it to lifting 50lb boxes of computer components. Chalk that job up as a learning experience and move on.

I concur with the recommendation to get a tutor. Most remedial math classes are designed for people who were slackers, rather than those with a genuine learning impairment. A tutor can give you that one-on-one attention that is needed.

Finally, while admirable that you want to avoid disability and would rather contribute, if you truly find yourself to be unable to work, then disablity may be a reasonable alternative to expecting your parents to provide for you for the rest of your life.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:06 AM

389 posts, read 692,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Asperger's can be an impediment to employment on it's own. Combine that with the inability to do high school level math by college and I see a disaster.
Yep, really the only thing they have going for them are STEM skills, which many do have. For those who don't, there are very few options, pretty much none of which provide a decent income.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:08 AM

389 posts, read 692,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1988 View Post
Actually, I have. Asperger's Syndrome. Let me see if I can find it...

To be honest, there was already talk of me going on disability for this. I just don't want to go on it because I think there has to be something out there I can do. The idea of just sitting back on disability for the rest of my life until I grow old and die just doesn't seem very appealing... you know? I'm not a stupid person, I just don't have other people's reflexes and ability to handle copious amounts of sensory input. In ever other way, my mind works fine.

My issues are mostly triggered when I try to do something like drive, or I'm in a huge, noisy crowd with boisterous people. Almost any other situation, I can generally handle.
I thought "Aspergers" immediately, even before getting to this post where you confirm it. I'd search CD for other threads posted by people with Aspergers who have similar struggles as you. There have been at least a couple.

Hang in there!

Old 12-19-2013, 12:09 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
seems like youd enjoy computers...maybe work as some technician for a company...almost all companies have computer technicians. you can get some simple/practical experience working for a small store (maybe a mom and pop run computer store) then work your way up until you land yourself a salary gig at some company. you could take some tests along the way and earn some certificates.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:28 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Call your state Department of Rehabilitation (called Vocational Rehab in some states) and open a case with them. They will diagnose you and provide a plan for employment. They will also wash you out if it turns out you're wasting their time. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment