Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:58 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBookofLife View Post
So many people fraud their employers. As soon as their job is secure, they start to show their true color. They suddenly have so many special needs. refuse accommodating to their special needs? talk to their lawyer.
I forgot where I heard this but it's something along the lines of, "Companies pay their employees just enough to retain them; employees do just enough to keep their jobs." That might be oversimplification, but I think it's been more true than untrue in my experience. It's human nature - people do whatever they think they can get away with, and probably not much more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I forgot where I heard this but it's something along the lines of, "Companies pay their employees just enough to retain them; employees do just enough to keep their jobs." That might be oversimplification, but I think it's been more true than untrue in my experience. It's human nature - people do whatever they think they can get away with, and probably not much more than that.
most people i know work very hard, for a long time, and the employer does not reward them, the employee quits to find the reward/promotion they were looking for at their old job.

people that have families with kids and a mortgage will usually do what you described because they arent moving anytime soon.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
The more I read this forum, the happier I am in Australia, where 38 hours is the max work week, min wage is over $15 AUD per hour, and we get 4 weeks paid leave after one year and other perks under the NES. Our economy is doing just fine too, so it shows you don't have to screw over your workers to make a profit and have a strong middle class and economy. Oh plus we have National Health Care too, so that's one less thing to have to worry about. I think the U$ could learn a lot from the Aussies-I wouldn't trade my Quality of Life here for anything.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
The more I read this forum, the happier I am in Australia, where 38 hours is the max work week, min wage is over $15 AUD per hour, and we get 4 weeks paid leave after one year and other perks under the NES. Our economy is doing just fine too, so it shows you don't have to screw over your workers to make a profit and have a strong middle class and economy. Oh plus we have National Health Care too, so that's one less thing to have to worry about. I think the U$ could learn a lot from the Aussies-I wouldn't trade my Quality of Life here for anything.
How is $15 AUD anything to brag about when your tax bracket is a minimum of 19% and everything costs 30% more than the US?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How is $15 AUD anything to brag about when your tax bracket is a minimum of 19% and everything costs 30% more than the US?
How is what we have here in the states anything to brag about? The average American seems hell bent on accumulating cheap, breakage garbage. It's cheap because it was made by pseudo slave labor in another country, and scanned by pretty much the same in some behemoth retail store. The goal of every American seams to be to collect a dwelling full of this garbage. It breaks after a year or two and the dopes buy it over again. All the while, the Waltons get richer, the people complain about it, yet you know where the majority shop.

What's so prosperous about America anymore? We can't pay our bills, we're crawling on our knees to China begging for more loans, which they happily oblige so the average American can continue buying their trash and stuffing our faces with disgusting fast food. If the average American actually lived within their means (what their paychecks could afford), this country would not look as prosperous today. Corporate earnings would be MUCH lower, people would be driving older cars, houses would not be as big and they would not look as nice. Credit earned all of that... Giving the illusion of prosperity.

Remember when America was good at stuff? We'll, we're 30-something in math, science, reading, etc. We work 60 hours a week, have no time to rear the children, so 1/4th drops out, figures out how to milk SSDI, etc.

What makes America so special anymore? Prosperity is earned, not deserved or handed down by birthright. This country needs to get it's priorities straight for a change. American exceptionalism is a handicap.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:21 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
A few points:

1) Agreed upon wages are being paid... keep in mind that the corps are doing everything in their power to make those wages as low as possible. Maybe you don't think this matters, but to deny it's effects is disingenuous.

2) A safe work environment is a good thing. They don't have that in 3rd world countries, which is where the jobs are heading. Also, corps spend money buying up politicians to encourage certain groups of rabble to oppose OSHA and anything else that gets in the way of the corps making more money.

3) Benefits are also good. And they are taking those away as fast as possible.

4) Following the laws is required... but the corps write the laws (buying up politicians), which in no way justifies what they do, though it makes it harder to nail them for it.

Nobody here expects their employer to "care" about them - send them flowers, comfort them in hard times, etc. But we DO expect not to be treated like disposable trash that is to be thrown away as soon as possible. We also don't like having our jobs vanish in the face of the corporate ultimatum - become a 3rd world nation (live on slave wages) or have no jobs. That's simply not acceptable.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
the $15 is MINIMUM-most folks make way more than that-the AVERAGE wage is about $73,000.00 here compared to the 2012 ave of $44322 as of 2012. So yeah that higher COL is more than offset by the increase in pay, not to mention the other perks of living here-such as way better quality of life, better health care system, longer paid time off, etc. No contest at all-Australia is way better

Old 12-18-2013, 11:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
How is what we have here in the states anything to brag about? The average American seems hell bent on accumulating cheap, breakage garbage. It's cheap because it was made by pseudo slave labor in another country, and scanned by pretty much the same in some behemoth retail store. The goal of every American seams to be to collect a dwelling full of this garbage. It breaks after a year or two and the dopes buy it over again. All the while, the Waltons get richer, the people complain about it, yet you know where the majority shop.

What's so prosperous about America anymore? We can't pay our bills, we're crawling on our knees to China begging for more loans, which they happily oblige so the average American can continue buying their trash and stuffing our faces with disgusting fast food. If the average American actually lived within their means (what their paychecks could afford), this country would not look as prosperous today. Corporate earnings would be MUCH lower, people would be driving older cars, houses would not be as big and they would not look as nice. Credit earned all of that... Giving the illusion of prosperity.

Remember when America was good at stuff? We'll, we're 30-something in math, science, reading, etc. We work 60 hours a week, have no time to rear the children, so 1/4th drops out, figures out how to milk SSDI, etc.

What makes America so special anymore? Prosperity is earned, not deserved or handed down by birthright. This country needs to get it's priorities straight for a change. American exceptionalism is a handicap.
You might want to read LeaveWI's post. He didn't mention any of those aspects about living in Australia. He was talking about minimum wages, working hours, healthcare, and benefits.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,729 times
Companies do care. They care about the bottom line.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:37 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
the $15 is MINIMUM-most folks make way more than that-the AVERAGE wage is about $73,000.00 here compared to the 2012 ave of $44322 as of 2012. So yeah that higher COL is more than offset by the increase in pay, not to mention the other perks of living here-such as way better quality of life, better health care system, longer paid time off, etc. No contest at all-Australia is way better
Well, you can brag all that you want, the reality is, it costs way more to live in Australia than it does the US. You can read the article, but I highly suggest that people read the comments. If we are going to compare anecdotal evidence, then let's really compare it. In the quote above, we have one opinion...why don't you all read the opinions of others who live in Australia and do NOT agree with the above poster about how glorious it all is:

Cost of living in Australia compared to the US

You get $15 minimum, but you pay more for just about everything, by a good margin:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

So, really, you're not getting ahead with that $15.

Last edited by Yac; 12-20-2013 at 05:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment