Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:22 PM

257 posts, read 608,774 times

Advertisements

Whether they would offer relocation really depends on the field of work. When I graduated with a computer engineering degree, I was one of the only females at the time with that degree and heavily recruited from many different states with paid relocation, etc. As well, the economy was in full swing back then. Now with a Masters in Journalism, I'd be applying for multimedia jobs, and there are more that have those skills. When I post my resume', most of the contact I get is from recruiters for local contract jobs - that don't offer relocation. I'm fine with taking that at first if it comes down to it, but I'd need to get the call for an interview first.

If I they called Monday for an interview Weds, that would be fine with me, I have a car. I don't really care about relocation as I have pared down what I own due to extensive travel but it would be a nice plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 10:53 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Why not just be honest? Besides chances are the HR department is going to process an I-9 in the first week of employment. It's hard to hide an address when it's on your drivers license!

Old 01-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Well, I already explained why it is better especially for contracting jobs to have a local address. Obviously, if I got the job or was in negotiations with an offer I would be moving at that point. I have a couple friends I could stay with if I couldn't find an apartment right away as well.

A lot of people don't change their driver's license for a while after they move so I don't see that as being an issue.

I mostly want to get a feel for how many calls/what the interest level would be if I did move. If I get one call in three months, then it might not be a good idea to move right now. If I get a call a week, then chances are better I'd find something shortly after I moved. I know several people who have moved to a new town and didn't find anything for six months or longer, all the while paying rent and getting farther into credit card debt, or having to move back or move elsewhere in the end.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:27 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
What exact contract jobs are you referring to? IT work? General contracting? Plumbing? The major aspect is if someone can go to work on time, that's about it.

"A lot of people don't change their driver's license for a while after they move so I don't see that as being an issue."

That depends on if the job is driving. You eventually have to convert the license. It IS a larger issue since it is lying.

I realize that from a technology perspective emails and phone calls do not have a physical location. But if you fill out an I-9 then it gets legally involved here. If you don't appear for say a summons to appear in court it automatically becomes a warrant for your arrest!

There are easy ways to tell if someone lives in a given area. Credit checks for starters. Then there's calling up tax assessors to verify property ownership etc.

I don't know what type of industry you are in where you get one call in three months or a call a week. Are you sure this isn't consulting? Why not just incorporate as a business and let people go to you?

Old 01-01-2014, 08:03 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I just put down a random local address on my resume with a google voice number.

When called and they wanted to set up an interview I said I was back at home staying with family for a little while since my job hunt wasn't going so well and I was just subletting a place in NYC. We did a skype interview and then they wanted me to come in for an in person interview so I had to catch a last minute bus (to save on money) and then do my interview.

They only considered me because they thought that I was a local candidate. If I didn't have that address on there, I wouldn't have even gotten a phone interview.
You put a fake address on your resume?

Why does your resume have an address on it at all? Mine hasn't had one in years, and it has never stopped me from getting work.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:35 PM

If you post your address online, there is a field you need to fill out for an address. I just posted to Indeed, and just put Denver with a zip, without a street address... got a google voice number... so will see what that pulls up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment