Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 01:52 PM

29,664 posts, read 24,695,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
It's not about getting the job, it's about the fact that people have the audacity to lie to someone in the face.
They did not lie to you. They already hired someone for the position they were seeking to fill. How does this not compute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:20 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,699,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I didn't say anything about the total rate in which I bill the work out.

Sure you did, right on the first page of this thread:

Quote:
While I might make $20/hr on the project, when factoring in the time scouting out the work, it may have been closer to $16/hr... And I have even offered up to $18/hr for good help.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:27 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,006,282 times
Quote:
They did not lie to you. They already hired someone for the position they were seeking to fill. How does this not compute?
Debatable - a few examples:

1) Companies claiming a person is "not qualified" and thus didn't get the job, when they are qualified. This means that either they lied by claiming they were not qualified or that they screwed up (or lied) when setting the qualifications.

2) Companies posting fake jobs. My former place of employment did this regularly. For example, they needed a new department manager, so they picked one out in April and everyone knew that. Then, in May they posted the job publicly - and everyone knew that the only reason they did that was to keep Legal happy. That job posting was a lie. Nobody who applied had any chance of getting it since they had already chosen the person.

Those are just a few examples. While it is wrong to say a company "must" hire somebody, it is also wrong to let them skate by while posting fake jobs, hiring cronies vs. qualified people, refusing to hire people for stupid reasons (such as being out of work.) and so on. Accountability is required for everyone involved, not just from the employee.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:33 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,636,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Sure you did, right on the first page of this thread:
No...What he charges his customer is obviously different than what he pays his helper...

Old 12-30-2013, 02:24 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,144,090 times
Many want to get service few want to give it

Old 12-30-2013, 02:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,755,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
2) Companies posting fake jobs. My former place of employment did this regularly. For example, they needed a new department manager, so they picked one out in April and everyone knew that. Then, in May they posted the job publicly - and everyone knew that the only reason they did that was to keep Legal happy. That job posting was a lie. Nobody who applied had any chance of getting it since they had already chosen the person.
This. The fake job postings have sky-rocketed in this current job market, especially with the internal hiring phenomenon. It is not some rare "psycho-babble" response, there are many people out there saying this including Huffington Post and the New York Times. If I could find the articles I would list them. However I do not.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,478,218 times
Quote:
Seriously, for all the complaining... It's like everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side! I promise you, it is not... For 6 years, I have avoided hiring anyone for the various projects I have undertook. If it meant I had to work 16 hours a day for a week, I'd gladly take that over dealing with the incompetence of others. I know the way I like things done. They are not the easy way, but they are the right way, and they net the results I seek. That is usually a labor of love more than a way to bring in money.

I sleep much better at night knowing I put in a genuine effort in what I set out to do. Unfortunately, I rarely deal with "wage slaves" who feel the same way about work. What they fail to realize... Profit margins are slim for average quality anything. If you're capable of offering exceptional quality in any product or service you offer, you can charge more. People also call back when they need more work done, or they refer you to others. How can I pay someone more if they are only willing to be "average"?

I have attempted to hire in the past. I even paid decent for the work. Often times, a "helper" stood to do better than I hourly, since much of my time was spent actually securing the work. While I might make $20/hr on the project, when factoring in the time scouting out the work, it may have been closer to $16/hr... And I have even offered up to $18/hr for good help.

Here's what happens when I find "good help"... One guy pukes after 20 minutes of working. Says he doesn't like the smell of oil and is going home. I clearly stated the job would involve (protected) contact with oil and various forms of sludge prior to bringing the guy on... Left high and dry, I'm stuck working 14 hours a day in order to meet the quoted timeline.

Another guy started, and worked ok for a couple hours... Than he started whining about supposed breaks that were required by federal law. According to this work horse, workers are required breaks every 2 hours, paid by the employer. Apparently, he was a laid off auto workers and that's how things ran in the plant. Ya... He didn't last long.

Brought one guy on who tried to tell me what tasks should be assigned to him. Naturally, he wanted the easy stuff... Ya, that didn't work out. Had one guy that wanted to hit the bathroom every hour and half. Being that he was "suited up", that meant he had to remove his protective boot covers, protective suit, gloves, etc... A single bathroom break could easily run 20 minutes.

I have done an awful lot of off the beaten path work in the past. Never have I found any incentive to seek help. It's just not available in the form that I seek... Competent and without tons of baggage. Since I refuse to hire illegals, who many employers seem to prefer, I guess I'll be working in solitude should I continue down this path. From the perspective of a full time employed "wage slave"... I value the security that a steady paycheck offers, without all the hassle of jumping hurdles (finding decent employees).
Good question.

Many have never supervised a department and had most everyone call in sick. Many have never had to try and get reliable employees to give up a day off they really wanted and needed because the slackers all didn't feel like getting out of bed that morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment