Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:31 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac11 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am applying for academic advisor/student services types of jobs.

So, do you think a MA degree is better than practical experience in the field?

Why?
For what it's worth, the academic advisors at the major universities in the states I've lived in all had Masters degree in Higher Ed or something related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 08:10 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times
Quote:
Hello!

I have a Bachelor's degree and a graduate certificate in my field. I keep hearing from people that what is keeping me from finding a job is that I don't have a Master's. However, I have plenty of experience in the field.

What do you think?

Is the Master's the new Bachelor's? Or is there a chance for me?

(My field is higher education - student services).

Thanks!

Education is one of those fields that require a MS just because it is EDUCATION. The MS can give no real skills, but they just want to see that you have one. They want people that work in higher education to be well educated.

I think it is kind of stupid, because there are a lot of degree mills out there that will accept you and eventually pass you as along as you pay their insanely high tuition. Not to mention the insane amount of cheating that goes on, you don't know who really earned their degree and who cheated their way through it.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 PM

728 posts, read 1,899,917 times
My friend has a Masters and all the student debt to go with it. After a few years of looking for work he now works at the post office delivering mail where someone with only a high school diploma can work along side him.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:42 PM

31 posts, read 68,221 times
I have worked at a university's career services department and observed that nearly all of their job listing "preferred" a master's degree. By preferred, they mean they will throw your resume out if you don't have one. Admin assistant? Need a graduate degree or 20 years of experience. Tutor coordinator? Grad degree. Driving instructor? Grad degree. Etc.

Student Advisors are required to have a masters, preferably in College Student Personnel.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:27 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
My friend has a Masters and all the student debt to go with it. After a few years of looking for work he now works at the post office delivering mail where someone with only a high school diploma can work along side him.
I suggest OP try to find a job that relates to her major. If you can't find a job now you might not be able to find one when you have that masters degree. Employers want degrees and experience. Try to get the experience. Try a YMCA and become a youth counselor, etc.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Everyone knows a guy who...

Anecdotes like these are meaningless when giving advice. Your friend and the choices he made have no bearing on the potential experience of the OP. Your friend gave up on looking for a more lucrative employment. That was a personal choice. It has nothing to do with obtaining a Master's degree or future prospects for Masters degree holders.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:11 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,536 times
OP, after briefly speaking to one of my friends who works in higher ed about how to get a job in that area, I was told that at big universities masters degrees are basically a must, and that if you're looking into grad school you should make sure the program you pick has an internship.

Many programs encourage internships, but there are some where it's a required part of the curriculum in order to graduate. According to my friend, those are the schools you want to apply to because they apparently have more connections and the internship is always a way to line up a job before graduating.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:35 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
An MA for that? Are you only looking at the higher-level universities? I have an undergrad related to this field as well, and regular colleges/community colleges do not require an MA for this. Maybe it's worth 'down-grading' employment locations rather than spending all that time and money for an MA.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Hello!

I have a Bachelor's degree and a graduate certificate in my field. I keep hearing from people that what is keeping me from finding a job is that I don't have a Master's. However, I have plenty of experience in the field.

What do you think?

Is the Master's the new Bachelor's? Or is there a chance for me?

(My field is higher education - student services).

Thanks!
There is always a chance but I believe your occupation prefers a graduate degree. What does the job descriptions state?

Old 12-22-2013, 10:53 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
We're approaching the point where nothing less then a graduate degree is becoming required (I have one myself as well) for many jobs, which in my opinion could probably be done with an associates degree. Some of the salaries out there for jobs asking for a graduate degree are comical to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment