Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:07 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I can spend my SSDI on whatever I want, and I bought most of my bikes from work money and unemployment checks. $403 weekly unemployment checks for 93 weeks was a lot. I probably splurged in 5 bmx bikes on UI.

My Parent's are the ones who own the house so they pay all the bills and property taxes. I just pay for internet. But I take care of my mom and drive her around.

********* andywire... I'm not rubbing it in. She should try to get some gov aid just like it helps me. So I'm just an example of a lucky guy on Gov aid, even though I'm very unlucky with work.

L'Artiste -- the problem with your JOBHUNT is that there aren't many jobs in marketing in New Orleans. Do a monster.com search between New Orleans and Chicago and Chicago has over 220 marketing related jobs whereas New Orleans has only 8 jobs. So I think what you have to do is get any job out there in N.O. and save money for a move to another city. Then look for a marketing job NATIONWIDE. You probably don't have many possessions to tie you down, unlike me. Has your past jobhunt only been for the New Orleans area?
You forgot to mention that you supposedly turned down jobs while collecting welfare and disability.

While I personally believe that your Jesse69 persona is a wholly concocted fake to troll around the interwebs, it's the mere possibility that your scumbag tale could be true that hurts the long-term unemployed. Many states give too much, too easily. If you've been out of work, the guy supporting your life on the dole is so resentful of every person collecting that they don't stand a chance.

To the OP:
I have been to the brink of what you think of. I've done my damnedest to make sure I didn't wake up. If you really want it to happen, you can make it happen. Doesn't matter the outcome. Either way, you'll be right.

You're going to have to start smaller, dirtier and further away than you think. If you're just sitting around grandma's house - go get a CDL. You're a two hour drive from a 65-70K/yr job.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:10 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
L'Artiste -- the problem with your JOBHUNT is that there aren't many jobs in marketing in New Orleans. Do a monster.com search between New Orleans and Chicago and Chicago has over 220 marketing related jobs whereas New Orleans has only 8 jobs. So I think what you have to do is get any job out there in N.O. and save money for a move to another city. Then look for a marketing job NATIONWIDE. You probably don't have many possessions to tie you down, unlike me. Has your past jobhunt only been for the New Orleans area?
This is actually some very good advice by Jesse69. I'd suggest doing the same thing if I were you. Keep your head up, kid. If you ever start thinking bad thoughts, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255.

Your family and friends are also there for you. Reach out to them for moral support.

We are here for you as a last resort. Talk to us. We will get you through these feelings until you find something.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
You forgot to mention that you supposedly turned down jobs while collecting welfare and disability.

While I personally believe that your Jesse69 persona is a wholly concocted fake to troll around the interwebs, it's the mere possibility that your scumbag tale could be true that hurts the long-term unemployed. Many states give too much, too easily. If you've been out of work, the guy supporting your life on the dole is so resentful of every person collecting that they don't stand a chance.

I never got a job offer from any company so I never turned down any job. I never collected welfare, I had food stamps for 16 months then no more and I only get SSDI now. I'm not a fake troll here either. And I'm not a scumbag scamming the system, I've applied for jobs nearly 4.6 years of my 5.33 years of unemployment. I WANT TO WORK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
$403 x 93 = $37,479 You spent over $37,000 on BMX bikes while unemployed?

And you still live with your parents at age 45?
IDIOCY! I probably spent $2200 on 5 bmx bikes on my unemployment checks. And it's common for minorities to live with their parents when they get old, THEN WE TAKE CARE OF OUR PARENTS. I fear that I'm stuck to Chicago jobs because I have to help my mom. Unlike WHITE PEOPLE where parents kick out their kids and don't expect them to live with them as adults.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:27 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,632 times
You've talked repeatedly about turning down offers of 35K, 40K , and talked at length about how you won't take a job "beneath" you.

If your story is indeed true - I still say it isn't - there is NOTHING beneath you. Felon, psychopath, welfare leech, abuser - that about cover it?

Old 12-22-2013, 06:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
i have felt that way but not bek of work bek thru difficult work i had over the years become ruthless.
so i did something about it, i changed.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:29 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
With the new thing of not hiring umemployed people which creates long term unemployed people, a lot of people are essentially screwed ? Do you ever feel like jus ending it all since your family sees you as a burden or because soon you'd have no place to live? I wonder if the suicide rates are higher , then again the news never covers it
Back in the spring there were quite a few news articles about this; one even in the NYT. The rise in the suicide rate was backed up with stats from the CDC.
You have people who made a nice living, lost it, and fell into such a deep emotional pit that they could not climb out. When you are unemployed and "no" is the most consistent thing you hear, it's not surprising.
I have had some days where I have thought of it, but I keep trying to find reasons to stay.
It's especially hard when you are childless and single and do not have the emotional support of a partner or the responsibility of a child to keep you focused.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:31 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
It's especially hard when you are childless and single and do not have the emotional support of a partner or the responsibility of a child to keep you focused.
You've gotta be kidding me. You think you'd be in a better spot if you had a child to support?

Old 12-22-2013, 06:34 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You've gotta be kidding me. You think you'd be in a better spot if you had a child to support?
I would have a reason to live.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:48 PM

914 posts, read 942,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
With the new thing of not hiring umemployed people which creates long term unemployed people, a lot of people are essentially screwed ? Do you ever feel like jus ending it all since your family sees you as a burden or because soon you'd have no place to live? I wonder if the suicide rates are higher , then again the news never covers it
Absolutely.
I was there, once, in my young 30's. And if not for my dog, I would have done it, too.

I knew that it would not be fair to my dog for me to do that. I had rescued her and rehabbed her, and she had been a total basket case when I first took her.

She had been strayed and abused...she had a lot of emotional baggage. I knew nobody would ever bring her back again if I stepped out.

And, in time, she repaid me the favor of having brought her back...she brought ME back.

My point: The people you love...will be there for you...just as you were there for them in the past. and they will be there for you now...because they know you will once again be able to be there for them. That is what love is.

In my case, all I had was the dog. But it was enough.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:50 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
I would have a reason to live.
Get a dog instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment