Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 07:37 AM

914 posts, read 942,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
SSDI is a giant scam and is hurtling towards insolvency so it most definitely hurts the rest of us.
No, it is not a scam. Some people scam the system...but for those, like me...who are legitimately disabled...it was a lifeline which enabled me to become self-sufficient once again.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:47 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
DON'T BLAME ME FOR NOT WORKING, BLAME THE COMPANY THAT WOULDN'T HIRE ME AS A SOLIDWORKS MECH DESIGNER FOR $48,000 / YEAR WHEN THAT'S ALREADY A LOW BALL SALARY FOR MY 5.79 YEARS EXPERIENCE AND A MECH ENG DEGREE. AND BLAME CUMMINS ALISON TOO FOR NOT HIRING ME AT $48,000 A YEAR FOR A TECH WRITER JOB. AND I WAS WILLING TO DO A $15/HR EBAY LISTER TECH WRITER JOB BUT THE RUSSIAN GUY DIDN'T LIKE ME. I'M WILLING TO WORK AND I APPLY FOR JOBS EVERY WEEK, AND IT SURE GETS DEPRESSING THAT MY MANY APPLICATIONS DON'T GET RESPONSES. SO I'M NOT A GOV LEECH, SSDI IS JUST SOMETHING I CAN FALL BACK ON. AND MY YEARLY $13,800 SSDI BARELY HURTS THE ECONOMY OR YOU, THE TAXPAYER. IT'S THE MANY BIG CORPORATIONS THAT DON'T PAY TAXES LIKE GE THAT HURT THE ECONOMY. THEY HAVE MANY LAWYERS WORKING ON TAX LOOPHOLES JUST TO NOT PAY TAXES.

I won't bust my myself up for a 40 hr / week $9/hr job, because then I might make too much money and they might cutoff my SSDI and most important, my FREE Medicare. Health Insurance is TOO EXPENSIVE to buy so I depend on this free Medicare instead of paying for Obamacare. I need a good paying FT job which is hard to get, plus I'm stuck to getting this job in Chicago. If my career is toast I'm considering if I can work as a taxi driver. Or I wonder what else I can do... Maybe apply for a city job.
So sounds like we agree. You know you can get a job but don't accept anything below a certain salary because it doesn't make sense to you when you can sit around and do nothing and still collect assistance from taxpayers.

My medicare, my unemployment, my SSDI. None of it is yours, it's given to you because you are too patheric and inept to actually work. The market apparently detemined you aren't worth what you think you are. Based on your responses and thoughts, I wouldn't hire you either. Yup, it's everyone elses fault that they don't give you the salary you think you deserve.

Your 13,800 is hurting me - it's not a large scale but the collective of you is hurting.

You're inept right now. You've unfortunately become displaced and lost your manhood and pride along the way. Admit it to yourself and then you'll be more able to do something about it rather than sit around making up nonsense rationalizations. After losing a job and then trying hard but being unable to find something comparable there comes a point when you re-assess and consider doing what you can to preserve your being. You shouldn't have decided to take the low road and mooch. If you needed to, then OK but not for the long term like you have. It's damaged you. I feel sorry for you, I truly do. Like I said, I would rather work a low wage nothing job and try to make the best of myself than be like you. There is pride in working, whatever the work, nothing wrong with a $9/hr job. People working low wage jobs have my complete respect, they're trying. Both my father and mother worked low wage jobs for years and years. They eventually built up to jobs that were less than low wage but it was never much. I wish you well and hope you are strong enough mentally to dig yourself out from where you are but first you need to find some pride and respect for yourself. Good luck.

Edit: People with your attitude and in your situation have mostly put themselves there. For most, the only way to help those like you is to cut you off and thereby make you work. Otherwise, you'de starve. That low wage job wouldn't sound so bad to you then, eh? You'de be happy to have it. Get what you can, support yourself the best you can, try to build up from there. That's how it should be.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Have you looked outside of Louisiana? I am looking outside of Indiana even though I really don't have the money to move. I figure if I land a job out of state, I am willing to stay in a homeless shelter if necessary until I can get on my feet. I figure it is better to move with no money than remain underemployed for the rest of my life.

Remember, a job only provides you with money and stuff that can be replaced. You can't be replaced. Please don't kill yourself. It is only money.
i have, i kind of laid off of it because i read people using toss applicants that aren't in the state now.. but i've started again..

Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Not a Louisiana person, but it's one of my favorite places to visit (but I've never really been to North Louisiana). I am a Southerner though, and found that creole/cajun dishes like gumbo, jambalaya, and red beans + rice are:

1.) easy to make in big proportions (tons of leftovers)
2.) pretty cheap to make when made in big proportions
3.) can be altered to actually be pretty healthy (when I cook I cut a lot of the salt and fats out, use smaller servings of brown rice instead of white, etc.)

I make a ton of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food too because those dishes are usually just a ton of vegetables (veggies = cheap, meat = expensive) and some starches, the meat is almost always optional.
i know right with #2.. get a box of zatarians and you can eat maybe 3-4 days and the box is like $1.50-1.72, i just got the redbeans, the jambalya and hte shrimp scampi box!

i always wanted to try mediterrean food but where would i get it..??
i use to live in a place with food trucks and the gyro was always there but i never had time to stop

Old 12-23-2013, 09:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
my mother told me she wish i wasn't here ..so thats clear that she'd rather i be gone,if i could leave, alive.. i would but i can't afford to if no one won't hire me
L'Artiste:

I can't tell you that things will get better, but I can tell you that sometimes life can surprise you. I went to a really good school and worked in my chosen field for more than 20 years. But the field died out and I found myself trying to break into other related but very closed positions. I couldn't get any of these jobs. I found myself moving from unemployment to underemployment. Needless to say, I got very discouraged and depressed. I was also married to someone who was not supportive and who gave me hell because I wasn't making the money she thought I should have made (and that I thought I should have made).

I have no problem telling you that I wanted to die. But I had kids and couldn't bring myself to commit suicide. I sought out counseling and found a place that provided me someone professional to talk to on a sliding scale. This helped immensely.

While life has not improved in many ways, I have been able to find not just one job, but two jobs plus an array of freelance work.

Please talk to someone who can help you. Just hearing input from someone else may help you cope with the depression and hopelessness. Contemplating suicide is not a good outcome.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:15 AM

I'd like to add, L'Artiste, that your mother should join you in some of that counseling. She needs to know the negative impact she has on you by voicing her wish that you were not there.

She's not helping you get into a frame of mind that would lead to possibly pulling yourself out of the rut you are in.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
Let's clarify something here. Suicide is an "option". So is living. So is turning to crime. They are just options. They might not be the best ones under all circumstances but they are choices. I can easily see where at a certain level of despair and hopelessness that death becomes an inviting "option". Until we have lived in the conditions that some people are having to deal with, it is a bit arrogant to tell them "don't worry be happy" along with the other common cliches that flow onto screens. If I lost my home, my job, my family, my dignity, then I might well consider death as a viable option. If I am terminally ill and in massive pain, it is my favored options which is why I support medically assisted death (another subject).

Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Let's clarify something here. Suicide is an "option". So is living. So is turning to crime. They are just options. They might not be the best ones under all circumstances but they are choices. I can easily see where at a certain level of despair and hopelessness that death becomes an inviting "option". Until we have lived in the conditions that some people are having to deal with, it is a bit arrogant to tell them "don't worry be happy" along with the other common cliches that flow onto screens. If I lost my home, my job, my family, my dignity, then I might well consider death as a viable option. If I am terminally ill and in massive pain, it is my favored options which is why I support medically assisted death (another subject).
bingo.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times
Quote:
With the new thing of not hiring umemployed people which creates long term unemployed people, a lot of people are essentially screwed ? Do you ever feel like jus ending it all since your family sees you as a burden or because soon you'd have no place to live? I wonder if the suicide rates are higher , then again the news never covers it
The news has covered it. The rate among 35- to 65-year old men is skyrocketing. But the suicide rate always skyrockets in economic turndowns.

While I think that suicide can be a rational option (not everyone who commits suicide is mentally ill), it's a permanent option and not one to be mulled over without talking to a professional counselor/therapist first. There are definitely other options which may not be seen, by only one's self, if one is depressed.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
With the new thing of not hiring umemployed people which creates long term unemployed people, a lot of people are essentially screwed ? Do you ever feel like jus ending it all since your family sees you as a burden or because soon you'd have no place to live? I wonder if the suicide rates are higher , then again the news never covers it
Why not make your own job? What you're going through isn't anything unusual. It's regular life for most of the world. What you're experiencing is actually the end of the Disneyworld experience for the United States. We did it to ourselves, but, there you have it.... real life.

Sometimes I feel like committing suicide because I have a job :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment