Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 06:27 PM

914 posts, read 942,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Why not make your own job? What you're going through isn't anything unusual. It's regular life for most of the world. What you're experiencing is actually the end of the Disneyworld experience for the United States. We did it to ourselves, but, there you have it.... real life.

Sometimes I feel like committing suicide because I have a job :-)
LOL, I hear you there.

I started my own business back in January of this year. Been the best year of my life, and I'd slit my wrists before going back to Corporate America.

It is much nicer having my own business...even though I work harder.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:36 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
^^Same occurred to a family member. Nearly lost his mind after losing his nice paying corporate job. Then got his act together, started his own company and is now doing quite well.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:40 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Back in the spring there were quite a few news articles about this; one even in the NYT. The rise in the suicide rate was backed up with stats from the CDC.
You have people who made a nice living, lost it, and fell into such a deep emotional pit that they could not climb out. When you are unemployed and "no" is the most consistent thing you hear, it's not surprising.
I have had some days where I have thought of it, but I keep trying to find reasons to stay.
It's especially hard when you are childless and single and do not have the emotional support of a partner or the responsibility of a child to keep you focused.
One thing that kept me from even considering it was if my grandchildren, now too young to remember, someday ask what happened to me and their parents having to explain suicide because of having no job. And they would say they'd rather have me around, they don't care if I have a job.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:55 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
One thing that kept me from even considering it was if my grandchildren, now too young to remember, someday ask what happened to me and their parents having to explain suicide because of having no job. And they would say they'd rather have me around, they don't care if I have a job.
The person who kept me going was my 7 year old nephew. He could care less if I have a job or a career. He just wants me around.

OP have you considered the military? Teach for America? Teaching English overseas, Americorps, Peace Corps, The US Border Patrol?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:34 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
LOL, I hear you there.

I started my own business back in January of this year. Been the best year of my life, and I'd slit my wrists before going back to Corporate America.

It is much nicer having my own business...even though I work harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
^^Same occurred to a family member. Nearly lost his mind after losing his nice paying corporate job. Then got his act together, started his own company and is now doing quite well.

What type of business did you two people start?

Old 12-24-2013, 01:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,341 times
Extended unemployment is not a value judgment against who you are in this current economy because many face the same circumstances. If you'll allow yourself to be flexible, it can be an invitation to stretch your creativity and to develop new skill sets which are economically valuable. You, independent of work status, have value as a person. That you can never lose, unless you convince yourself otherwise, but that's totally up to you.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:05 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times
I feel like that right now. I NEED a job and income after graduation, else I am FKed in life. Corporate fellows hate me and just say "you ain't worth my time and money". I am more depressed about graduating rather than happy. There is nothing to be proud about when you are going to be ridiculed after you graduate by employers in corporate America about how worthless and unemployable college graduates from average level state schools are. Every time I feel happy about achieving something, there always comes along a guy who says, "your achievements are worthless and will take you nowhere unless you are from a top 20 school". I am just sick and fed up of hearing such things. It is now so bad, that I have accepted myself unemployable material. The fear of unemployment does depress me indeed.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 12-24-2013 at 08:04 AM..

Old 12-24-2013, 07:19 AM

106 posts, read 107,655 times
What?!?!

No. Why do that just for being unemployed?

Old 12-24-2013, 07:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Better to take out a few who caused the loss of jobs first. If someone does not value their own life, it would be better to be a Robin Hood type and take a few parasites out, right?

Old 12-24-2013, 08:26 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Why not make your own job? What you're going through isn't anything unusual. It's regular life for most of the world. What you're experiencing is actually the end of the Disneyworld experience for the United States. We did it to ourselves, but, there you have it.... real life.

Sometimes I feel like committing suicide because I have a job :-)
jimmy page...actually i did.. it didn't work... i still have my business.. it does provide funds.. if i was in a third world country i probably could have rent for an entire year.

yea i guess i was raise in the disneyworld of america, where you go to college or not.. and will have a chance at job, or even a ****ty job and the economy was great and blah blah.. .. i didn't do it to myself i think because i wasn't of age to mess up this disney world, i kinda wish i was born just 10 years earlier then i woulda been out of college in the year 99/2000 and had a chance at life ..until it all went to helll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment