Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times

Advertisements

My thoughts here. Your wife had been there for years. Most likely had worked her way up the pay scale. The company does not know her and knows it can hire someone else much cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 11:39 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Unhappy Top performing and highly likable people don't get fired in a perfect world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Maybe your wife wasn't nearly as good or as likable as she has been telling you? Top performing and highly likable people don't get fired. There is something missing here.

As much as we'd all like to think that "Top performing and highly likable people don't get fired", that is not always true. Just because somebody is "likable", does not mean the person who gets to make the firing decision likes them.

Or maybe he just likes a friend (for whom he needs to create a job opening) more... lots of reasons why a top performing and highly likable person would get canned without cause, no reason for her to blame herself.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Maybe your wife wasn't nearly as good or as likable as she has been telling you?

Top performing and highly likable people don't get fired. There is something missing here.
Hahahahahahaha are you serious? They fire top performing people ALL the time, you just have been either lucky enough to never see it, or you've never been a top performer.

I was fired from a job despite working the hardest and being there the longest.

Lucky for me, a job I had applied for almost a year prior (government) came through so I was unemployed less than 2 weeks before starting a new job.

AND the VP from the old job? Felt bad for me (said it was out of his hands apparently) and gave me an additional two weeks of severance pay, so the B**** that fired me didn't know she essentially gave me a two week paid vacation. I wasn't even upset- I was glad to be out of there because I knew she was a terrible manager. I was vindicated when not even a week later major equipment was malfunctioning because people weren't doing the maintenance they were supposed to (as I pointed out to her before being "fired.').

OP I'm sorry for what happened to your wife, make sure she gets good references from the bosses, don't put this new guy down, and collect unemployment while she looks for something new.

These are always blessings in disguise IMO, him letting her go is a sign of things to come there! Definitely things are about to go down the drain there.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:47 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Move on and going forward don't love what you don't own. File the UI and get another job.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:07 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
People like to bring in people they are familiar with. That doesn't mean they are making an opening for a friend.

Ask any asst. coach. A new head coach comes in and get assts. that he knows will do it his way. The old coaches may have been very good but that is just the way it works.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:36 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Small businesses have no rules.
No procedures.

Vent. All you want. It will help. cf. Elizabeth Kubler Ross Grief Cycle model, five stages of grief in death, dying and bereavement

1. Your wife should file for unemployment insurance as soon as possible. She has paid into the fund and is entitled to collect.

2. Help her with updating her resume. That is part of moving on.

3. Tell her not to interview for 2 weeks. Time is needed for the anger to subside. See Kübler-Ross above.

4. Document everything. I presume she has a letter related to her firing.
Sorry, Dave .... but no employee pays a contribution to the U/I fund. It's all paid for by the employer.

But it is good advice to file for U/I benefits ASAP, because the OP's post that his wife will have no difficulty finding another job is not equal to actually having that new job, and ... as you have posted ... there may be a time frame before the OP's wife is ready to take on a new job.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:26 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besmirched
.........Then, 5 days before Christmas, after her last patient left and she was putting on her coat to leave for the day, the new PT/manager called her into his office and fired her.......
I am so sorry.......... I hope you both can have a merry xmas

Old 12-24-2013, 08:03 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Sorry, Dave .... but no employee pays a contribution to the U/I fund. It's all paid for by the employer.
And, if the employer did not pay, then the employee would be paid more. Therefore, the employee pays.
The worker pays.
What are going to tell me next: that Social Security taxes are half paid by employer and employee?
Do you live in a delusional cave?

Old 12-24-2013, 08:04 PM

28 posts, read 34,634 times
Thank you all so much for all of your encouraging comments and support. It is me that is bothered about this guy doing this to my wife like it's no big deal. My wife has accepted it and already has a job lined up.
But her moving on to me isn't the point.
It's just an evil thing to do to someone that doesn't deserve anything but praise and getting away with it.
Actually she had the best #s profit for the company and was paid the least of the therapists.
A friend in the #s area looked it up for her.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:23 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besmirched View Post
Thank you all so much for all of your encouraging comments and support. It is me that is bothered about this guy doing this to my wife like it's no big deal. My wife has accepted it and already has a job lined up.
But her moving on to me isn't the point.
It's just an evil thing to do to someone that doesn't deserve anything but praise and getting away with it.
Actually she had the best #s profit for the company and was paid the least of the therapists.
A friend in the #s area looked it up for her.
It's their loss. Glad she has a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment