Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:56 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I pay the same for my ticket as everyone else. But I don't get the same experience. Invariably someone spends the entire flight trying to recline their seat into my knees. I ALWAYS say something but it never seems to matter. The nimrod in front of me thinks that by repeatedly slamming their seat back, my knees will eventually disappear.

I have had to point-blank tell people who ask, "why don't you move your knees" that I have nowhere to move them. Some people are never going to understand that.
You aren't paying for an experience. You are paying for a seat, that is a fixed size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 10:00 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Didn't read the whole thread, but I rely on seatguru before flying. I'm totally tiny - five foot two - but have been on a couple of planes where the seats were so crammed together than even my knees were jammed up against the seat in front. Even some transatlantic flights, which was pure torture. I also try to stick with airlines like jetblue that have extra legroom everywhere.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:06 AM

471 posts, read 600,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I have found in general an absolute lack of empathy for the very tall. It's as if the ability to dunk a basketball is the be-all and end-all of human existence. And nobody considers the fact that the world is engineered for people who are "average" height.

Very tall people should know the basics -- What is seat pitch. Which airlines have better (and worse) seat pitch, and also the seating configurations.

And yes, very tall people should become good at asking for what they want. Learn what seats might give an extra inch or two, and then ask for them. I have found that bulkhead is almost always booked solid months in advance (and usually by people who don't need the extra leg room, which I find irksome). But there are usually some oddball seats in the back that have great legroom. My wife and I have to split up most of the time, but she doesn't mind. She prefers it when we arrive and I'm not in considerable pain.

I pay the same for my ticket as everyone else. But I don't get the same experience. Invariably someone spends the entire flight trying to recline their seat into my knees. I ALWAYS say something but it never seems to matter. The nimrod in front of me thinks that by repeatedly slamming their seat back, my knees will eventually disappear.

I have had to point-blank tell people who ask, "why don't you move your knees" that I have nowhere to move them. Some people are never going to understand that.
You are one entitled guy, how do you know "they don't need it"? You seem to expect the world to accomodate you, but have nothing but contempt for others.

Nimrod? You are inconveniencing the person in front of you, taking away their ability to use the seat as it was designed for them and rather than acknowledge that they must sacrifice for you, you insult them and demean them.

Let me try and fix your statement for you based on the passenger not being able to recline the seat they paid for:

You: Oh I'm so sorry sir, this cramped seat is so small, I'm taking up all the room and you can't recline your seat.
Them: Ugh, well, can't you move your knees or something.
You: No sir, unfortunately I can not, I'm so sorry to have inconvenienced you, if there was a way I could move and not take your space, I would. Here since you can't recline your seat and you must leave it up for me and be less comfortable to make me more comfortable, let me buy you a drink, and my apologies.
Them: Why thank you, no worries, all the best to you too, we'll make the best of it together.
You: Thank you, your accommodation is most appreciated, cheers!

See how much better than could go when you drop the entitlement and have respect for others, rather than demanding free accommodation and then insult others while taking away from them.

A little shift in attitude and humility and recognition that others would have to sacrifice to give you more would go a long way. Drop the entitlement and contemptuous attitude and insults like "Nimrod".

Old 12-26-2013, 10:54 AM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
You are one entitled guy, how do you know "they don't need it"? You seem to expect the world to accomodate you, but have nothing but contempt for others.

Nimrod? You are inconveniencing the person in front of you, taking away their ability to use the seat as it was designed for them and rather than acknowledge that they must sacrifice for you, you insult them and demean them.

Let me try and fix your statement for you based on the passenger not being able to recline the seat they paid for:

You: Oh I'm so sorry sir, this cramped seat is so small, I'm taking up all the room and you can't recline your seat.
Them: Ugh, well, can't you move your knees or something.
You: No sir, unfortunately I can not, I'm so sorry to have inconvenienced you, if there was a way I could move and not take your space, I would. Here since you can't recline your seat and you must leave it up for me and be less comfortable to make me more comfortable, let me buy you a drink, and my apologies.
Them: Why thank you, no worries, all the best to you too, we'll make the best of it together.
You: Thank you, your accommodation is most appreciated, cheers!

See how much better than could go when you drop the entitlement and have respect for others, rather than demanding free accommodation and then insult others while taking away from them.

A little shift in attitude and humility and recognition that others would have to sacrifice to give you more would go a long way. Drop the entitlement and contemptuous attitude and insults like "Nimrod".
WHO is entitled? You think the tall guy behind you should buy you a drink after you've broken his kneecaps, as some sort of apology for having the nerve to possess them?

Wow. Just... wow.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:16 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
The exit row on most airlines these days is considered an upgrade that costs extra, above and beyond the cost of the ticket. The OP has indicated that his employer is balking at paying anything extra for seats.
I can't blame his employer. When a company has a lot of employees that travel, those small upgrade costs can add up.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:25 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,685 times
The term you want to use with your employer is 'reasonable accommodation.'

And fly jet blue if you can.
I'm the same height as you. JetBlue is tolerable.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:49 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
WHO is entitled? You think the tall guy behind you should buy you a drink after you've broken his kneecaps, as some sort of apology for having the nerve to possess them?

Wow. Just... wow.
This is, sadly, par for the course when flying. I would GLADLY have five or six inches removed from my legs if it were medically possible. People simply don't get it what it's like to be a giant in an world designed for "normal" people.

If airlines made the seats twice as tight so that people of average height could feel my pain (literally), perhaps THEN they might have a little understanding.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Since you are coming out ahead, why not offer your corp a "zero sum cost" tradeoff, such as "If you pay to upgrade my seat, I'll stay at a hotel one star level or more below my prior trips, and if you are still out of pocket, I'll substitute fast food for a restaurant meal at least once or twice until you are whole".

As you said, OP, even paying the measly $40, you have come out ahead.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:17 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,462,189 times
I'm only 6-3 and can relate to the pain that airplane seats cause (though I'm sure it's way worse at 6-7). Ideally airlines would accomodate passengers with seating for various heights at no extra charge. Of course, they're more interested in making money and packing us all in like sardines. I agree with most of the posters though. Just eat the loss because you are coming out ahead on this deal.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Since you are coming out ahead, why not offer your corp a "zero sum cost" tradeoff, such as "If you pay to upgrade my seat, I'll stay at a hotel one star level or more below my prior trips, and if you are still out of pocket, I'll substitute fast food for a restaurant meal at least once or twice until you are whole".

As you said, OP, even paying the measly $40, you have come out ahead.
If it were really a measly $40 (and how dare you insult $40 by calling it "measly" ), that would be one thing. I have been quoted $150 for an exit row seat for a two-hour flight. On long-hauls, it's worth it if that's the only option.

But as I have said a couple times, people who are really tall can ask gate attendants and flight attendants for better seats and usually get them. It's a question of knowing the seating layout and arriving early enough. Since my home airport is Las Vegas, it's no big deal to drop by a day (or two or three) before departure and ask the gate attendant well in advance.

The attendants know full-well that the seat pitch isn't just a "tight fit" for really tall people. It can cause serious pain. Asking nicely will usually result in the most comfortable seats in coach -- except for bulkhead for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment