Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 01:16 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times

Advertisements

How do you even get an interview? Why would you even call someone in for an interview with an unrelated degree with all the people that apply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 01:20 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Yeah, those filthy scum. How dare them apply for a job that's unrelated to their field.

Is this thread for real? People jump around to all different types of fields throughout their working lives. Just like any career, you start from the bottom and work your way up. It's really not that difficult.

Now unless of course you're just trolling here...in that case, why I am wasting my time.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:24 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Kill Him Kill Him Kill Him!! GO TEKKIE!

Old 12-24-2013, 01:32 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
How do you even get an interview? Why would you even call someone in for an interview with an unrelated degree with all the people that apply?
These days it is difficult. There's so many candidates for most jobs, the most obvious way to pare them down is be required degree.

But back when the economy was better it was very possible.

For a lot of jobs related to computers, employers realize whether the person can do the job is more important than the degree. They are behind the scenes and make things work. For my field, our bosses sell us by listing our credentials to clients, so an engineer with an English degree doesn't quite cut it, despite the fact that he could probably do the job.

Also, for computers, it used to be there were more jobs than people with relevant degrees. No longer the case.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:57 PM

170 posts, read 373,276 times
It's pretty simple why that happens. The percentage breakdown of majors is not representative of the job market. At my school, I think, there were more Math majors than Electrical Engineering majors, yet EE is directly related to many in-demand jobs while Math isn't at all. Hence you have a lot of people retooling their knowledge to try and get the jobs that actually exist. At least for a Math major it's not too difficult to get a good programming or data analysis skill set to get a job. I feel bad for people who are Psychology majors and haven't taken a math class in years. Makes it a lot harder to learn in-demand skills.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:04 PM

389 posts, read 692,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Pretty sure it's against C-D TOS to accuse someone in the forums of trolling instead of simply hitting the 'report' button.

Those in glass houses and all...

OP, oftentimes skills and abilities needed in one field will be applicable to other fields. It's also helpful to know someone in or have some kind of connection to the new field.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:04 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
It's pretty simple why that happens. The percentage breakdown of majors is not representative of the job market. At my school, I think, there were more Math majors than Electrical Engineering majors, yet EE is directly related to many in-demand jobs while Math isn't at all. Hence you have a lot of people retooling their knowledge to try and get the jobs that actually exist. At least for a Math major it's not too difficult to get a good programming or data analysis skill set to get a job. I feel bad for people who are Psychology majors and haven't taken a math class in years. Makes it a lot harder to learn in-demand skills.
That's the spirit. Math scares people, especially the ones who's been away from school too long. Use that to your advantage when you try for finance/regulatory related jobs

Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
Yes there are lots of Sociology Majors working as Accountants and Engineers.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:45 PM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
That's the spirit. Math scares people, especially the ones who's been away from school too long. Use that to your advantage when you try for finance/regulatory related jobs
Doesn't scare me. I got a liberal arts degree but took a lot of computer science courses as electives (mind you this was in the Eighties so I was programming in languages no one uses today) and just missed having it as my minor. Got my butt kicked by calculus because I was overloaded with other classes and work when I took it but I really enjoyed Discrete Computer Mathematics and I do have a head for numbers and logic.

Right now I'm prepping to go back to school and actually get a bachelor's in IT (web development), with communications as a minor, then possibly a master's. Since I know I'll need to actually kick calc's butt this time around, I've pulled out the math books and grabbed some open coursework (from MIT, etc.) to work on the math in my own time before I start taking credit courses. I'm enjoying the mental exercise.

Oh... and I've actually done some IT contract work. Low-level stuff, but yes a person can sometimes work in a field other than the one their degree is in, provided they've learned the relevant skills and can demonstrate this to an employer.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:01 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
I was making a point that in most cases if you have a career, you need to be trained and educated in that line of work. Eventually most people in college will come to the conclusion that in todays world college needs to move from a place where one just gets educated in liberal arts, to a place where professionals get trained to work in a specific career. College will become a higher end vocational technical institute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
The absurdity of this comment makes me realize that you're not serious.

Clearly that is not the case and nobody is claiming that to be the case. But wouldn't you believe it, there are jobs out there besides accounting and engineering. I know, right? Mind-blown.

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 12-24-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment