Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 09:44 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times

Advertisements

If it bothers you enough to come here and post, it must pertain to you. So don't do it anymore.

If it didnt hit a nerve, you would have forgotten it the minute you read and deleted it. For example, if I got a mass email at work saying, "please make sure when using the urinals that you aim properly" I would read it and delete it. Because it doesnt pertain to me. Now if my name were Joe, I might come here and say, can you believe that Company X sent out these emails?

I dont think its unprofessional or passive aggressive. It is obviously a company wide problem, and they are hoping people like you will appreciate the email and stop doing it. Also, the email is the initial warning. If you keep doing it, you're likely going to get more serious consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 10:05 AM

411 posts, read 900,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
I agree this email is unprofessional. It doesn't surprise me though. It's a classic HR passive aggressive strategy to send an email to everyone instead of confronting the actual time thieves.

I think corporations are "time thieves" more often than employees, especially in the salaried management world. expecting someone to work 6 days, 13 hour days etc. is also a great example of time thievery. Actually, it's life thievery. Yet I've worked for bozo's who think this is acceptable. They are usually the ones who go home at 3pm and are off every weekend. It's absolutely infuriating.

Last edited by fortwashingtonkid; 12-25-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 12-25-2013, 10:07 AM

29 posts, read 51,109 times
To me it sounds like a major culture problem: addressing adults like children being babysat. I think that's why OP thinks it's demeaning. I've been spoken to like that before at work, in a group, and it doesn't come across well. It sounds like an outdated management style and a distrustful setting.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:11 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
In respect to HR they are just trying to do their jobs, and apparently they have several people that have violated company policy regarding time. Of course they can NOT account for the hours that one stays longer or comes in early, this is why it seems coquettish to address the employees (unless they have a standard clock in time daily - such as a factory job). If I work 40 hrs in 4 days, you can bet I will do everything in my power to leave early on Friday, because I'm only being paid for 40 hrs of work, everyone understands this and does this.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:14 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Context is key here.
They have a bunch of employees taking advantage of the company by leaving 5 -10 minutes early and coming in late for work/meetings. OP probably does these things thus the offense at the email.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:58 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I can understand HR's issuing that email company-wide. HR may be aware of a few people violating company policies but how can it know which of hundreds more are doing so? As others have said, such an email should bother only those who've been leaving early, whether infrequently or regularly.

What used to irritate me was when the head of a department, which consisted of 6-7-8 employees, would send the same kind of email to his department. In that case, it was like saying "I dont want to confront the violator directly so the rest of you have to be bothered with this email."

Old 12-25-2013, 11:15 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Where I work, they weren't sending out emails, but instead had this kind of "motivating" message displayed on the computer screen when we signed on at the beginning of the day.

Sort of juvenile, but about par for the course at this point in the history of HR.

What your employer is doing is just standard operating procedure in many quarters now, I wouldn't feel insulted over it.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:26 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
They should single out the individuals who are slipping out early and talk to them, and not blanket-condemn the entire staff. Or better yet, they should shut the heck up and leave the staff alone. Judge people not by their adherence to an arbitrary schedule but by their performance. If I'm getting my work done and I leave early one day, late the next, which is the way I tend to be, then everyone should be happy.
They are probably too scared to do it or don't know who is doing it.

I remember I worked a job where our team had to go through "group therapy" because of THREE catty girls. We wasted a whole week on this when the best thing to do would have been to take those girls aside and tell them to stop stirring the pot!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:52 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Respect the corollary

"Plan your day so you are punctual. And never ever leave 5 or 10 minutes early. Over a year, that's 20 hours of unpaid time."

"Plan your day so you are punctual. And never ever leave 5 or 10 minutes late. Over a year, that's 20 hours of unpaid time that you will have donated to the company."

Old 12-25-2013, 12:25 PM

389 posts, read 692,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
"Plan your day so you are punctual. And never ever leave 5 or 10 minutes early. Over a year, that's 20 hours of unpaid time."

"Plan your day so you are punctual. And never ever leave 5 or 10 minutes late. Over a year, that's 20 hours of unpaid time that you will have donated to the company."
Thanks, Dave. I was just getting ready to comment asking whether the employees are salaried or not and if they are ever expected to stay later than usual...

Last edited by ThisIsMe123; 12-25-2013 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment