Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:49 PM

170 posts, read 371,418 times

Advertisements

My job search has been almost unreal. Either I'm the object of some large-scale practical joke, conspiracy, or I'm schizophrenic and only imagining everything. It's like living in a thriller or sci-fi novel. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 0 jobs available, and the supposed "job market" is just a big ploy to give people false hope.

I've interviewed in-person for 6 or 7 positions, and I'm not convinced that anyone was hired for any of them. If I'm ever interviewing on the same day as other applicants, I'm going to get the phone numbers of everyone else in the group so that I can call them up later and see if anyone actually got the job. I can't take the website Indeed seriously anymore. Ditto LinkedIn. I'm starting to think that these sites are big conspiracies, that there are no real listings, that the profiles are bots, not real people, etcetera. Also, based on the fact that the number of responses I was getting for my applications suddenly dwindled to 0 (I was getting, on average, one phone or email response every day until 2 months ago, after which I've had 0 calls or emails about any jobs I've applied to), I do think that all companies are sharing some database that's a blacklist of unemployed people who they're not even going to bother interviewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 02:56 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,394,147 times
You know too much. Prepare to be erased.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:56 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,339,629 times
It took me close to nearly two dozen interviews to land a job. I too have been jerked arround, led on, treated rudely, subjected to HR gobbledygook to the point I hate them with a passion, for quite some time. In some cases they already have a candidate in mind and are interviewing for EEOC or company policy compliance, In other cases they are not very serious about hiring and kind of window shopping candidates.

One painful lesson I've learned is when to walk away. When I am getting jerked around and given writing assignments or more than 3 interviews I've learned they either aren't serious or their HR bimbos have been let off their leash and I just gracefully walk away.

All you can do is keep trying. I got to the point where I was just numb. I'd show up do the best I can and of course then the HR hack shrinks would accuse me of not being passionate.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 12-30-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 03:02 PM

HR is evil. Yet if you ask any of them youd think they were the only true caretakers of the business. They deliver the orders, they get the sales, they maintain the books, yes THEY are the end all be all of the corporate world. The sad fact of the matter is they are the result of years and years of lawsuits and policies.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,579,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I do think that all companies are sharing some database that's a blacklist of unemployed people who they're not even going to bother interviewing.
Ditto to that. I was planning on changing my name and a few other details to test that out, because I think you're right about that. Employers have access to IRS so they can get databases of long term unemployed folks from that end.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:31 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,401,751 times
I'm right there with you. It really does feel EXACTLY like that. I definetly feel like I'm being tricked or messed with when I get called for an interview. Something about it just feels shady. Getting phone calls at random hours of the day and night from potential employers, and I mean RANDOM hours. Showing up for an interview somewhere, waiting for the manager to come out, people staring at you. It can get really awkward sometimes, almost like you're an alien from outer space to other people. It also seems that alot of companies are in fact just interviewing people for fun, some kind of game. This is what gets me the most because I have to waste my time and money going to these interviews when in reality they aren't interested. Just window shopping.

In the movies you just show up, and the boss says "start tomorrow".

Old 12-30-2013, 03:32 PM

170 posts, read 371,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Ditto to that. I was planning on changing my name and a few other details to test that out, because I think you're right about that. Employers have access to IRS so they can get databases of long term unemployed folks from that end.
This is getting out of hand.

I'm going to make a realistic prediction of what the working world will look like in the year 2100. Everyone who has a job will be a perfect specimen. The males will be 6'2", perfect head of hair, strong body, IQ of 140+, flawless medical record (which will be public info to employers), flawless criminal record (no parking tickets), never been unemployed, went to an Ivy League school, very outgoing and charming. They will be making a lot of money, but also be taxed a lot, and the tax revenue will go to unemployment insurance and government jobs programs (like the military). 90% of the population will, like I said, either be unemployed and receiving tax revenue to keep consumer spending up, or employed by the government as part of a jobs program so that everyone doesn't go insane from their long-term unemployment.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post

In the movies you just show up, and the boss says "start tomorrow".
My coworker and I were just talking about this. Now its, "When can you start? How about in 2 months when HR finally gets around to clearing me to hire you."

Old 12-30-2013, 03:48 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,339,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Employers do not have access to the IRS files and tax returns. They can only get your credit report in states where it is still legal and with your signed permission.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:39 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,331,247 times
When I hear from headhunters, I often wonder if they are a joke. Seriously, it's amazing how incompetent some of them are at their jobs. I had one unknowingly send me to interview with the same company twice within a few month period. You had to be here to appreciate the moment. We were both looking at each other like, WTF??? I had others call me about jobs I was grossly unqualified for. A fried who didn't even work in my industry knew this from the job duties description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment