Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 05:53 AM

7,970 posts, read 10,537,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
It's a problem because most people do not wish to spend a third of their lives in hell.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I also don't share my personal business,because anything you say can and WILL be used against you.
I have found this to be very true. It really takes discipline not to "share" too much, especially when you are at work for so many hours of your life and you are a sociable person at heart. But it truly is best to leave your personal life completely at the door and just be pleasant but business-only at work. Even when you feel comfortable with your co-workers, don't leave yourself open and vulnerable, as has been noted here by several posters, it can possibly be used against you.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:28 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,012,810 times
We spend 8 hours or more at work, 5 days a week. While I believe in working for a living it should not have to be like this. I don't blame this generation or anything but I do blame employers for creating stressful environments in which employees are pitted against one another and I seems like being a bad person will get you rewarded.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:55 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,656,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
There are a lot of miserable disengaged workers now due to companies shift in attitude from employees being part of the team to being parasites to starve. Also the lack of development and purple squirrelism rampant in hiring has a lot of employees pigeon-holed into what they are currently doing and no longer enjoy.
And there are also a lot of people out there who enjoy their jobs, the company they work for and their co-workers. Just as there are a lot of companies out there who actually do value their employees. You just hear about those here on CD much less frequently.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:01 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,656,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
I feel lucky to enjoy my job and the small crew i work with. The pay could be better, but i wouldn't trade it for the tight nit group we have and the trust of having each others back..and that's from the TOP down.

I'm in the same position, I work for a great group of people in a small company. As a start-up, its sink or swim for all of us and it is a very tight-knit, collaborative environment. We've all got each others backs, and we all function very well together both professionall and socially. We sometimes work long hours together, and also hang out after work on occasion, have dinner in each others' homes, are all on one another's Christmas Card lists, etc. Its a great environment to be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post

I felt like posting this after reading some of the horror posts.. There is hope out there if your in an unbearable environment..

Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,330,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
And there are also a lot of people out there who enjoy their jobs, the company they work for and their co-workers. Just as there are a lot of companies out there who actually do value their employees. You just hear about those here on CD much less frequently.
and many studies have shown that engaged workers are a small minority only ~30% in the USA.

Worldwide, 13% of Employees Are Engaged at Work

Old 01-07-2014, 03:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,239,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
you need to specify more what your talking about. how a company as a whole treats employees, how management treats employees or just overwall how everyone treats each other? any specific industry you notice this in?
I've worked in several different American states — in academia, for a Fortune 100 company, for a national retailer, a non-profit corporation, and for a regional business. I also freelanced for a long time, so I've been privy to the ins-and-outs of a lot of businesses where I wasn't a permanent employee. The fear and negativity that permeates businesses in the U.S. today is across industries and is also seen just as prevalently, if not more, in academia and other non-profits. Because when people are worried about their money, the first thing they do is stop donating it.

Everything is fine when money is rolling in. Everybody is in growth mode. Management is upbeat. People are being hired and getting regular salary increases. There is constant talk about how we're a family and we have shared goals and we're an asset to our community and our nation. People are working hard with the knowledge that their efforts will be rewarded. What's not to like?

Then, when the bad times hit — which at one time were isolated incidents of business failure mainly due to mismanagement — the spirit plummets. The problem is, this nation has been experiencing nearly two decades of massive bad times. It started when Wall Street (with acquiescence from the government) made it acceptable for corporate boards to constantly dismantle their own companies for quick profit. Instead of STABILITY being valued in the economy, quick profits from surges in stock prices became the goal. Most lower-level employees didn't really even understand what was going on in the board rooms. The general media ignored the story because it was too complicated to explain. The business press didn't see any harm in it and they are really just mouthpieces for Corporate America anyway, so they weren't about to sound an alarm.

The problems was, this need to satisfy Wall Street's addiction to these quick profits eventually had a tipping point. When there was no longer anything extraneous to divest, they started to divest things that were turning healthy profits. This merry-go-round of corporations buying and selling each other their assets to drive up stock prices became THE Way the rich get richer in the US and abroad. Did your grandparents worry about corporate raiders and leveraged buy-outs? Did your father's successful, profit-making employer put itself up for sale to the highest bidder? And if the buyer is German or Japanese and the ownership money is now going to Europe or Asia, do you think our government cares?

As long as the money is flowing TOWARD the already richest among us, and away from people who have no voice, we have a Federal Reserve, a Treasury, a Justice Department, a Commerce Department, a World Bank, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and even the majority in our Congress who will say, "No problemo."

Why do you think every time you check into a hotel it has a different owner from the last time you were there? Why do decades-long employees who lost their jobs when Westinghouse Defense Systems disappeared get their pension checks from CBS? Why do you think only one major department store chain and a few lesser chains now serve the entire nation? Why do places like Circuit City, Woolworth's, G.C. Murphy, Osco Drug, Pantry Pride — stores that sold things people need all over the country — disappear? Do you even know who owns Sears this week? It ain't Roebuck. There's only room for one or two big kahunas and if you're not it ... kaput.

Workers, from the lowest level to middle management, are merely pawns in this hideous game of "we don't make anything ... except profits for stockholders." They know they are being used. They know ownership doesn't give a fig about them. They can't plan ahead for the future. They know they may be unemployable once they are in their fifties. They have good benefits one year and the next year ... nothing.

I know smart, capable people who have been working for 20 years and have NEVER had a job they felt was stable. How can you celebrate your life and feel you're the reliable the support of a family when you're looking over your shoulder every day of your life? How many Americans have found out they were laid off days before Christmas? Millions.

No, it's not everywhere. There are exceptions. Companies that really DO make something. Companies that are satisfied with steady profits and don't chase the big stock price spike. But I agree with that assessment of it being no more than 30% of today's employers. Most of the big corporations, our nation's largest employers. are in this up to their necks. They abuse workers with impunity and constantly chase after every government subsidy they can get their greedy hands on. And where is the money coming from for government subsidies? Not CORPORATE tax payers ... they have entire offices of lawyers looking for tax breaks for them. It's the little guy who pays. The little guy who might own his or her house but now cannot even afford to pay the property taxes and utilities. The little guy who will be the first one in the unemployment line the next time the you-know-what hit the fan at his or her place of work.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 01-07-2014 at 03:53 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM

Great Post Jukesgrrl. I can see why you are a $500 winner.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:53 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,373,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Great Post Jukesgrrl. I can see why you are a $500 winner.
Agree 100%. Excellent post.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:03 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
In other words, let's go back to the days of Ozzie and Harriet Nelson, back in the days when whitey ruled supreme, and the darkies all knew their place. The whiteys could punch darkie in the face all they wanted, that was okay, that was darkie's place.

If the above is not what you meant...then you may want to consider how you sound to others!
Because above is what I got out of what you said.
And, for the record, I'm white.
no in other words you have gotten rid of one fearful and hostile work environment and replaced it with another. you have not progressed you have just changed places.
no you cant go back but you have failed to go forward. you have not improved the work environment you have improved your work environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment