Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:21 PM

322 posts, read 384,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
You will still need technicians to fix the robots when they break, and mechanical things break, software malfunctions
But but but, AI will result in self-creating and self-healing software haha. I remember the days when AI was supposedly going to overtake the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
You will still need technicians to fix the robots when they break, and mechanical things break, software malfunctions
Or we'll end up with some system with a Master Control Program-like AI that'll take over the world. LOL down with the users!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 AM

914 posts, read 942,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Or we'll end up with some system with a Master Control Program-like AI that'll take over the world. LOL down with the users!
That sounds more like TRON.

You shouldn't have come back, Flynn.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:52 PM

1,485 posts, read 953,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Yeah, retail is a field I prefer to stay out of because I have this "tendency" to want to hurt customers. : Give me a machine to work on, or some merchandise to unload and I'm good, but if I have to get within 50' of a register to wait on peons then it will get ugly...
I'm like that too. If I gotta work for someone else give me something to do in the back and pay me well.
I absolutely HATE dealing with customers. Customers can be the most moronic, stupid people.
When I worked at a burger joint not long ago I was cashiering along with cooking. I would get the dumbest people coming in.
People would come in asking if we sold cheeseburgers. Two big signs out front of cheeseburgers didn't convince them.
I'd get others coming in and ask what we got. I pointed to the giant menu above my head.
Then there was the neighborhood heroin addict that would come in looking like a zombie and all he could say was "eat, eat".
People would actually call in and want me to read the entire menu to them as I had a long line of customers waiting to order. I referred them to the website that shows our menu. they would get angry and hang up.
And the kids. I would be in the middle of taking a customers order and 5 kids are interrupting asking for water cups! Not purchasing anything.

I could go on. But I HATE dealing with customers.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:20 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
I know for a fact in my area (maybe the whole state) just about any businesses that employ people have a bad attitude towards everything. And yes, it has spilled over into the hiring arena. Seems there are just so many people looking for jobs in such a concentrated area, that the manager can be as selective as possible and any little mishap can get you disqualified. There is no such thing as common courtesy or honesty. You can spend money going to an interview and be promised a call and never get it. Work history gaps, GED instead of HSD, College degrees (it scares the manager because you are smarter), skin color (even white), facial features, tone of voice, pretty much anything.

Something has got to give.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I could go on. But I HATE dealing with customers.
I really feel sorry for people who have to work with the unwashed masses. I was at the grocery store the other day and some ass hole was yelling at one of the cashiers "Why don't you have any more lanes open? Don't you have anyone else working here?" in a real hateful tone.

He made eye contact with me for a second and I gave him the meanest "go to Hell" look I believe I have ever given anyone. People who are abusive to cashiers/customer service people make me sick.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 PM

41 posts, read 52,037 times
What's most STRIKING to me when entering a tenant's space is how quiet it is. It's like you can here a pin drop in the place..A bunch of people in cubes working on their PC's, nobody talking to one another (unless it's behind closed doors in
a conference room)..
I think to myself, "how can anyone work in this type of environment" as it's stifling..you can feel as you walk in there..

IMO opinion it's PC that has caused the office environment to be as it is today..

God forbid you say the wrong thing anymore (whatever that is), and your co-worker complains, and your out the door.

I feel bad for these working people who work like mimes..and work in fear..

You nailed it. That working like mimes is what I've seen a lot of when I've gone on interviews lately.

At the most recent place I worked, the people didn't work like mimes...but something wasn't right with the atmosphere and I couldn't put my finger on it for a while. Something about the way people were talking to each other was irritating me beyond belief and I, for the first time ever, resorted to wearing headphones at work because it was just unbearable. I eventually figured out that what was bothering me was that the people were working in fear. They were talking but not really talking. Everything sounded too carefully scripted, people watching what they were saying, no sincere humor. There was a guy there who ended every sentence on a lilting feminine "upnote". Another who had an incredibly annoying, hyena like laugh that never had any real relation to anything said. Everyone, right down to the shipping department, deferred to their supervisors, no one had any opinion of their own. Now...my job before this was at a corporate office and I had never experienced anything like this even there. This company I'm describing above was a small business. I came to find out that the management were terrors and realized fear was what was producing the strange and irritating behavior I was finding. I ended up leaving because I cannot work like that. I refuse to but then again, I also literally can't. My system won't let me.

People there sold out and were absolutely spineless. It was like a version of Roritor Pharmaceuticals from the movie "Brain Candy" come to life, without the fancy office.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:02 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times
People sell out because they believe there's an incentive. If they know they can spy on their coworkers and report them to help them up the ranks for a supervisor job, they'll do it. You have to truly trust your coworkers and even trust doesn't exist anymore. It's every person for themselves.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepickedthruspithole View Post
Tired of running into it nearly every company I interview at. Have been in the workforce since 1996. First began noticing this rudeness in 2006 but it was not nearly as common as now. What has caused this? It's not just office jobs - I've seen/heard the same thing with my friend's retail job. I miss camaraderie and having fun at work.

Because no one can afford after this guy got into office. Now, it's hang on to your job, maintain a certain glum ethos that says, "you got me boss, there is nothing I can do" and then act happy or like a seal clapping for a fish every time the President gives his JFK type style empty speeches.

In short, they have to ACT like they still support him to save face. All the while, now doing the job of 2 and praying to god THEY don't get laid off.

Party on Garth...

Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepickedthruspithole View Post
Tired of running into it nearly every company I interview at. Have been in the workforce since 1996. First began noticing this rudeness in 2006 but it was not nearly as common as now. What has caused this? It's not just office jobs - I've seen/heard the same thing with my friend's retail job. I miss camaraderie and having fun at work.
Why?..Because most workers today feel they are asked to do more and more with less in addition to walking a VERY tight rope. Plus in retail today (was in it back in the 80s and 90s) the pressure to upsell, unload extended warranties and such is relentless.

Essentially, most employers have their workers by the 'nads and they know it. In turn, the result is a group of co-workers who don't trust one another and Heaven help you if you say the wrong thing to someone. Additionally, with social media being the dominant force today that it wasn't 10, 20 years ago, almost every aspect of your personal life and thoughts are subject to scrutiny and can cost you your job. It's to the point that if you want to keep your job, watch what you say on FB, twitter, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment