Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times

Advertisements

I've never gotten to work in a large office of a fortune 500 company downtown, and was wondering what it was like. Is it how it is portrayed in the media? I'm talking about working in good jobs, that require a degree like Marketing, Finanace, Accounting, Law, etc. Is it exciting? Boring? Do most people like their jobs and are happy? Is it like a Highschool mentality? Is their a lot of hooking up at the office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I've never gotten to work in a large office of a fortune 500 company downtown, and was wondering what it was like. Is it how it is portrayed in the media? I'm talking about working in good jobs, that require a degree like Marketing, Finanace, Accounting, Law, etc. Is it exciting? Boring? Do most people like their jobs and are happy? Is it like a Highschool mentality? Is their a lot of hooking up at the office?
I work for a Fortune 100 and have worked for a a company that just got bought out by a Fortune 100 company. It all depends on the company you work for. The company I currently work for gets free pop, and we have small raffles during the holidays for specific teams. Its nothing like Wolfs of Wall Street if that is what you're getting at.

My company is mostly just a bunch of people who are looking to make a few dollars in exchange for working. Nothing too exciting really. There have been a couple of in-office hookups but I would recommend against doing so just in case it doesn't work out.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:35 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
I work for a Fortune 100 and have worked for a a company that just got bought out by a Fortune 100 company. It all depends on the company you work for. The company I currently work for gets free pop, and we have small raffles during the holidays for specific teams. Its nothing like Wolfs of Wall Street if that is what you're getting at.

My company is mostly just a bunch of people who are looking to make a few dollars in exchange for working. Nothing too exciting really. There have been a couple of in-office hookups but I would recommend against doing so just in case it doesn't work out.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Two words: corporate culture.

Some places are laid bad and collegial. Some places are more formal. It just depends. I wouldn't say there are "hookups," but there are some couples to be found. Many places have formal policies involving romantic relationships with co-workers. Usually it's okay as long as someone isn't managing their SO.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:42 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
I worked for Orbtiz in their corporate office in Chicago. There definately are some perks to working in a large company, large corporate office, especially for a cool employee friendly company. We had free vending machines with snacks, cokes, redbulls, etc, free coffee free lunches oftentimes, etc.

You got a lot of perks like free gym membership to a really nice gym in the building, free travel benefits, etc.

It really comes down to what you like. I went to work for Orbitz after working for a small startup company. We wore whatever we wanted to work, had beer in the fridge, would leave in hte morning for milkshakes, lunch for lunch and late afternoon for a snack as well. It was a very small free spirited office, everyone knew each other. I went from this atmosphere which is great for me and my workstyle and preference but going to a corporate office I hated.

It felt way too structured, way too much bureacracy, I spent my entire first week doing new hire papperwork, signign up for allthese systems and programs, etc. At my old job with the startup I was given a tour of the office, a laptop, filled out a w9 and was working an hour later.

Some people would have hated my startup and woudl love a structured large corporate office others hate a large corporate office and would like a diff job.

Once hting in a large corporation you have a very specified job. you do one thing and one thing only. iN a smaller startup type environment you wear all hats and have your hands in everything

Old 01-07-2014, 04:05 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
My experience is in accounting, working in a corporate office setting, so I'll answer all of your questions from my perspective.

No, it is not exciting. It is very boring. Most of my coworkers are miserable. There is actually a junior high mentality among many of my coworkers with the gossiping, backstabbing, and favoritism. No, I have not witnessed people "hooking up" at the office.

Last edited by statisticsnerd; 01-07-2014 at 04:18 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 04:19 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
No, it is not exciting. It is very boring. Most of my coworkers are miserable. There is actually a junior high mentality among many of my coworkers with the gossiping, backstabbing, and favoritism. No, I have not witnessed people "hooking up" at the office.
Dude, breathe in, breathe out. Rise above the foolishness.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
You were just on here telling us how stupid electricians are, and how easy their jobs are. You then went on to say the corporate office jobs are where the real thinking takes place. You mean you've never actually had one of these corporate jobs? How can you make such condescending statements with no formal experience to draw from?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 PM

243 posts, read 1,629,970 times
Leadership who looks down on staff, but don't even know how to do the staff's job. Free lunches and gifts due to poor employee satisfaction survey results. Boss does whatever is on his/her bosses schedule with no mind of his/her own and will throw you under the bus as soon as they feel a little heat. Tons of "CYA". Plenty of being passed over despite working years on end for someone from the outside, even though you will remain the workhorse.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You were just on here telling us how stupid electricians are, and how easy their jobs are. You then went on to say the corporate office jobs are where the real thinking takes place. You mean you've never actually had one of these corporate jobs? How can you make such condescending statements with no formal experience to draw from?
I work in a smaller office, but it's not their corporate office in a big downtown. Mi also worked in a large federal government office, but it was outside downtown.....and we'll, the govt and boring.

And don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say electricians are stupid, I just said the job doesn't require a High level of intelligence like most jobs that require a degree do. That doesn't mean that there aren't some really intelligent people who decided to be electricians over college. The job doesn't require it though. You can be in the bottom 1/3 of your highschool class and excel at it. You can have tattooes on your neck and have trouble speaking English and spelling and doing algebra and excel at it. It's Skilled LABOR. Dont take it personally, but that's how it is.

Last edited by jman07; 01-07-2014 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment