Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:14 PM

40 posts, read 77,598 times

Advertisements

how do i find a profession that match my abilitites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 03:29 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,900,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I have worked a $9 an hour retail job for the last 15 years. Being a manager at a retail store is just going to triple your stress levels believe me.
Not to mention the fact that, if they make you a salaried employee, you would go from making OT for hours over 40 to 50 or 60 hours per week for the same wage.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 PM

358 posts, read 510,303 times
I was made assistant manager at the convenience store I first worked at when I was 21 six months after being hired to work third shift.

I got the same position at another store a few years later (I had moved) about a year after being hired entry level.

It's tough when you have challenges, but if you are always on time, don't take days off, are clean and pleasant and work hard, you will move up quickly enough.

It's easier to teach skills than it is to teach responsibility. Show you are responsible and the rest will follow.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:13 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,065,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Not to mention the fact that, if they make you a salaried employee, you would go from making OT for hours over 40 to 50 or 60 hours per week for the same wage.
I agree. I spent years in retail, And before the company closed they were about to make us salaried. I was flat out told I had no choice and would work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day if they said so. The company was briefly taken over by some bad people and thankfully they closed down before that salaried wage kicked in. Point is, Even not at these extremes retail management will require many more hours then 40. I worked 70 sometimes traveling to stores I oversaw. Even as a single store manager 50 was the norm. The stress does go up, As associates clash with you and each other over scheduling, And you have to put out fires on a regular basis. Customer complaints, inventory concerns and meeting sales goals as well. When the holidays roll around it's even more stressful. In regards to assistant manager, It took me over a year and a half to get there. I moved up to managing multiple stores in the region.

Retail is not often easy. I am glad I got out of it personally.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:20 PM

i want to get out of retail its low pay and i can't live off of ramen noodles. i only get 32 hours a week i like to be able to get a decent full time job getting paid 12 dollars an hour that could actaully help pay bills help me go see doctors when i need one. but i don't know what jobs are like that be nice to have a real career. is there no way i can get a real career? i notice some ppl with learning disabilities able to make or get a career. i feel like it inspires me or am i just stuck like this forever where i may have to work 2 jobs again.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittenhope View Post
i want to get out of retail its low pay and i can't live off of ramen noodles. i only get 32 hours a week i like to be able to get a decent full time job getting paid 12 dollars an hour that could actaully help pay bills help me go see doctors when i need one. but i don't know what jobs are like that be nice to have a real career. is there no way i can get a real career? i notice some ppl with learning disabilities able to make or get a career. i feel like it inspires me or am i just stuck like this forever where i may have to work 2 jobs again.
The customer service from skills in retail can be transferred to other industries, Or better service industry jobs. It happened for me. You are not likely stuck. I thought the same, Believe me.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:38 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,218,202 times
Quote:
how do i find a profession that match my abilitites?
All states have a Job Service. It's not just where people go to sign up for unemployment compensation. They offer skills assessment, training programs, job leads, etc. Not only can they help you determine which fields you're best suited for, they can help you overcome whatever problems you have.

Another place to look is Community College. Two-thirds of CC students need remedial courses in at least one area. Tuition is usually much cheaper than at four year schools, and often can be covered in large part by financial aid (Pell Grants, etc.). About half the students in CC are in their 30s, 40s, and older, so you wouldn't feel out of place.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:39 PM

what other industries i need examples i feel like i don't know much about jobs cept retail and fastfood and hotels what are these industries?

Old 01-09-2014, 05:04 PM

473 posts, read 792,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
All states have a Job Service. It's not just where people go to sign up for unemployment compensation. They offer skills assessment, training programs, job leads, etc. Not only can they help you determine which fields you're best suited for, they can help you overcome whatever problems you have.

Another place to look is Community College. Two-thirds of CC students need remedial courses in at least one area. Tuition is usually much cheaper than at four year schools, and often can be covered in large part by financial aid (Pell Grants, etc.). About half the students in CC are in their 30s, 40s, and older, so you wouldn't feel out of place.
^Listen to what snorpus has to say. I do not know what state you live in, but your state should have a job service program. They have people who are trained to help those who have disabilities (both physical and mental). They have different programs to try to get you into a better job. If you have a disability, you should really contact them. If you don't know how to find these people, I am sure you can just post your state here and someone will find a link for you.

Quote:
what other industries i need examples i feel like i don't know much about jobs cept retail and fastfood and hotels what are these industries?

Old 01-09-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
transportation, travel and entertainment are all industries that have customer service rep or guest service positions. Retail experience was what got me into the hotel business that paid much more then retail, Even as a regional manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment