Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:34 PM

163 posts, read 502,580 times

Advertisements

A potential employer send me some form to fill out that basically was a really nosy job application asking me to speculate on a lot of things like how I was perceived by my supervisors. This, of course, was on top of the resume I sent them and was terribly formatted so it took me HOURS to edit as a pdf.

In the college section, I was asked how I paid for college. Is that legal? I don't think it's any of their business how I paid for college and found a number of these questions really inappropriate and not relevant to whether or not I'm qualified for the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 04:42 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
A potential employer send me some form to fill out that basically was a really nosy job application asking me to speculate on a lot of things like how I was perceived by my supervisors. This, of course, was on top of the resume I sent them and was terribly formatted so it took me HOURS to edit as a pdf.

In the college section, I was asked how I paid for college. Is that legal? I don't think it's any of their business how I paid for college and found a number of these questions really inappropriate and not relevant to whether or not I'm qualified for the job.
Yes, they can ask and your answer may be: I robbed banks.
It depends on the nature of the position. If you are candidate for VP of finance or similar, it makes sense. Otherwise, employers who present such questionnaires to potential employees are bad. Really bad. I am also convinced that if its a private company and you inquire about their financial situation, you won't get answers.
I would pass.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:44 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Does this position require government security clearance? Those jobs are highly intrusive in the screening process. They will interview your family and neighbors also.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:49 PM

163 posts, read 502,580 times
It's not a clearance position or finance-related. If that were the type of job, then I'd understand but it's with a small online retailer. I've been asked to fill out questionnaires in the past and they've at least had some relevance to the position and they never crossed any lines. I felt this one did in a major way.

I wish I could pass. I'm so desperate for a job right now.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:50 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Does this position require government security clearance? Those jobs are highly intrusive in the screening process. They will interview your family and neighbors also.
Clearance for security (or secret) jobs is not part of the resume. Its a totally separate and lengthy process, handled by other department than the HR. Resume is for the hiring manager to judge if you may be a good fit professionally and are able perform the job.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Try answering "semester by semester" or something like that maybe?

Old 01-11-2014, 04:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
It's legal. You are not required to respond.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's legal. You are not required to respond.
^This. I'd use a vague answer that really doesn't say anything. Something like "I used varied financing resources."

Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
^This. I'd use a vague answer that really doesn't say anything. Something like "I used varied financing resources."
I agree. It's intrusive and none of their business. These kind of people will probably also pull your credit report. I'd leave it blank and make them ask me to my face. But if you're afraid that would keep you from getting an interview you need, Charlygal's vague answer is a good one. As oberon_1 noted, you can bet they won't be forthcoming with their financial information. And I agree you should be wary of this place. Good luck. Job hunting these days is hell; you have my sympathy.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is a perfect answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment