Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:40 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,903,321 times

Advertisements

You definitely need to set boundaries with this manager. I'd also refrain from giving him too much information about your life for the simple fact that he's never going to agree, for example, that season sports tickets should take precedence over work. I'd simply state that I have a prior appointment, plans, etc.

Also, you have to be really careful about being this manager's plan B. If you continue to change your plans and be available; he's definitely going to let you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:45 PM

50 posts, read 76,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Clarification question to the OP:

Were the onsite colleagues consulted on the new schedule that your boss published? You stated that you were not consulted.

Permanent schedule changes in a multi-shift environment must be done with all participants. People do have obligations that are unmoveable (school, children, second jobs).

My theory has to do with the fact that you work remotely. The boss may be a talker/ negotiator type, so that those colleagues who are in the office can talk the boss into the concessions they want regarding scheduling. Since you are not physically there, and I suspect you mostly communicate via text/ e-mail like many remote workers, you are at a disadvantage. This boss may not be able to handle negotiation without face-to-face talk. How quickly does the boss reply to e-mails?

I've worked with a few of these people while working remotely, and it is maddening, especially when changes that affect everyone are made. You may have to go onsite for a few hours per week just as "face time maintenance." I've seen managers who only know "management while walking around" and who may as well be illiterate, with a complete lack of response to written communications. When pressed on something that was presented multiple times in writing, they might act totally surprised -- "I don't recall talking about this." For some people, talking is the only communication they do - both inbound and outbound.
There are 10 of us on my team excluding the manager, who makes it 11. Out of that group, only four of them are close to the office HQ or in the same city. I do not know if being close to the office made a difference in who was consulted.

I realize working remotely has its disadvantages, but most people just tell me to "shut up" or "get over it" because the company has been good to me. There is no denying that, but I still have challenges.

I cannot go to the office a few times a week to see my boss in person because it is across the country from me. I "see" him on video calls sometimes, but that's about it.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:14 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,761,374 times
Since you are a remote worker, I would try to talk to your boss on the phone or video chat to explain your position about scheduling. I would avoid using email or IM for something like this to make sure you are both on the same page. I do believe because you don't have real "face time" with him, it is a disadvantage for you anyway vs. some of your teammates. Some people naively think if you work remotely, some boundaries are gone and sometimes they are as in your case it seems. Often more work is expected of remote workers vs. those who come into the office full-time.

I think leaving out the personal details of sporting events is a good idea and just tell him for certain time frames, you have other scheduled plans you have to attend to. What those are, are not your boss' business. I think looking for other work is probably the best idea if your boss isn't more flexible with you and your work schedule. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:21 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
You need to ask your boss for a set schedule because you have conflicts that cannot be negotiated or moved.

I did that with my company and it works out fantastic for me. I am unavailable Mondays and they company no longer bothers me on Mondays. They know I cannot work and I will not come in.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM

313 posts, read 495,926 times
I can relate to your issues, and I found the only solution was to not work there anymore (I was recently laid-off from said job)

I have learned a lot from having a job like this: I will *never* let a boss eat into my personal life ever again. I don't care what the job is.

I had a boss that would call me weekends (I had all weekends off) He would require I work through lunch (illegal in my state) He would call me early in the morning asking me to complete tasks before I even was dressed for work, and he'd call me late at night expecting me to write up documents to email him from my personal computer.

He would also text and call me during vacations and holidays asking for information that he forgot, but things that could absolutely wait until I returned.

Part of this was my mistake: I answered the phone, I answered his texts, I said "How high" when he said "Jump" But this is because I was grateful to just have a job, to just be employed. My employer knew this, and took advantage of my vulnerability.

After three years of an abusive job where I had *zero* personal life, I feel thankful and relieved to have been laid-off. Now I understand that it is likely my boss was working so hard because the company was making less and less money and getting into financial trouble and feeling a lot of anxiety about that. Unfortunately or fortunately for me, it didn't matter how hard I worked or how high I jumped, the solution to their $$ problem was lay-offs anyway.

You should begin looking for other employment, in my opinion.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:42 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,692,634 times
I would definitely talk to your boss about scheduling. Don't be confrontational, just ask what he feels would help you both figure out the scheduling conflicts. Have you asked the other coworkers if they also have an issue?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,708,428 times
This is when you communicate with your boss about your hours and how it can be changed. Usually this happens right after a new manager starts or right after you start working. If I could not set my own work schedule then I would not work for that company, not unless they paid me out the ass.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:09 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,505,524 times
How is your boss's boss? Obviously he lacks some managerial skills. While I am not big on confrontation and I'd say look quitly for another position I'd say talk to your boss's supervisor if you think you can get him put any sens onto your boss. But it can backfire if his boss's calls him and says you complained.
Look for another job.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:22 AM

6,894 posts, read 22,476,326 times
Quit telling him what your plans are. He isn't entitled to information on your personal life.

If you keep saving his a$$ his bosses will never figure out he is a failure at his job and fire him. I'd let him fire me before I'd put up with this.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:39 AM

50 posts, read 76,192 times
I talked to my boss last night and we were able to work out a schedule that allows me to maintain my previous commitments. However, I am still going to keep my eyes open for a job where the schedule doesn't always change on a whim. While I am OK with the occasional overtime and coverage, as I do care about career development, I feel I'd be better off in a position where I have a better, more set idea of what hours and days are expected of me.

My boss's boss was in charge of the team before my manager was promoted into his job, which happened not long after I was promoted myself into this new role last year. In my old position, I had a much more organized boss who didn't spring surprises on us like this and who said extra hours were available, but didn't expect his team to drop everything they were already doing to cover if they couldn't do so. The difference has been a tough adjustment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment