Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times

Advertisements

I haven't written any production source code for years and still I have companies trying to get me to write code for them. The sad part is they just don't get it. I can help them but not the way they want. But they won't listen when I try to explain how I can help. I have to deal with that problem about once a month.

Sad but true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM

164 posts, read 266,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
For those out there who are veteran IT workers, how do you feel about the constant intrusions of work into your personal time? I know that many of my colleagues over the years have suffered heart attacks, strokes, and broken marriages. Some have even died at a relatively young age from the stress. I realize that the pay is usually very good, but do the long hours, constant on-calls, late nights, and lack of much real time-off get to you?
I wouldn't care. I just wish I could find a job. With all the certifications I have and still unable to find even a desktop support position is just depressing.

All about who you know...

Old 01-14-2014, 12:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
I've been an IT worker for most of life, and I'm still trying to figure out an exit strategy. All of the above are true. Weekends, holidays, nights, long days, and it doesn't get any easier.
As I've posted before, there are plenty of IT jobs that you don't have to work long hours. It really depends on the company and the line of work.

Say you work in support and off hour coverage is required. There should be a rotation and a proper escalation process.

Some folks thing the key to getting more time off is being a manager, I can see that but in many cases being an IT manager may require you to do 2-3x more work than your subordinates.

Another cause of losing time is that you've asked for more money and the only way a firm can justify that is to give you more responsibilities. Job security also creates more work, if you thought that by adding more job securing responsibilities you're gonna be hanging around for a long time. That's exactly what you've asked for which is more of your time is required.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
When I was a contractor... I was almost never called after hours.

A week after I became a benefited employee... I was handed a pager and told I'm first call 24/7 and had to let anyone know when I would be delayed in physically coming in.

I had 28' Pearson Sailboat on San Francisco Bay that I ended up selling because without fail, I would be out on the Bay and a crisis would erupt.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
When I was a contractor... I was almost never called after hours.

A week after I became a benefited employee... I was handed a pager and told I'm first call 24/7 and had to let anyone know when I would be delayed in physically coming in.

I had 28' Pearson Sailboat on San Francisco Bay that I ended up selling because without fail, I would be out on the Bay and a crisis would erupt.
^ Yep, been there. Risks and rewards.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
^ Yep, been there. Risks and rewards.
The ironic things is all those great bennies have been disappearing... 401k match, profit sharing, employee stock... etc.

In hindsight... probably would have been better to concentrate on dollars without benefits.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:54 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
I've been in IT also for 15 years .

I know all about going out for a bike ride, ski, etc. and as soon as you are just getting going you get the phone call. Overnights are my least favorite. I am getting too old to not sleep.

The flip side is when I gotta go to the dentist at 1pm on a monday for 2 hours, nobody is really complaining. I guess it is give and take.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:18 PM

I have a lot of leeway... in many ways they seldom care where I am... just make sure everything operates smoothly and be there when called.

Almost feel the Doctor of Star Trek Voyager

Summoned to duty and the first thing out of my mouth is saying please state the nature of the emergency.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 PM

Main problem is that companies are always looking for ways to reduce dependency on IT workers and IT folks are doing their best to secure their jobs. Guess who has the upper hand? You'll never win because some companies are trying to best to burn people out indirectly. They can't afford to promote everyone and they can't keep bumping up salaries. At some point they will get the new kids in and the old folks out.

Just remember folks, there is no such thing as loyalty in this business. Businesses are looking to save money is one of their chief objective.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:53 PM

675 posts, read 1,700,954 times
I was in IT for 10 years (sysadmin) and finally quit 3 years ago because of the work/life balance. I could do it while young and single but once I became a mom to small children it just didn't work - I basically was answering two pages in the middle of the night, just one had diapers (but both were often just as immature and cranky!) The funny thing is that after 3 years of not working I still get pinged by recruiters, although whether they would actually seriously consider me for those jobs with the drop-off in experience I don't know.

Totally agree with those who have said it's all about environment. At my last job I could have eaten off the floor of the data center and there were six of us rotating on call so it should have been awesome, but with the number of people manufactured "emergencies" there was no relief, it was one of my worst workplaces. Management was bad, everyone I worked for ended up getting fired or leaving in disgust within a year of my departure, so the final insult is that I can't actually use anybody but HR for a reference for that company.

Most of my long-term former colleagues who were senior to me have moved on, either out of the industry or to slightly less intense roles or industries...it just gets harder to live the lifestyle once you get to your 50s+. And of course some of those colleagues were railroaded out the door anyway.

I miss the work terribly, at least on a pure IT level, but there just isn't a lot of respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment