Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 PM

12,772 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

I went to the bookstore today & looked through a few of those money-making magazines by the company small business opportunities to see what they have these days. I jotted down a lot of websites, so we'll see what they're about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I have seen telecommute customer service/reservations type positions posted on the internet. The ones I saw were for booking U-Haul or hotel room reservations. As you might expect, there were technical requirements such as having high-speed internet, a good headset and mic, etc.
Thanks so much War Beagle! I looked up U-Haul & they have a job posting for an E-Customer Service Agent (Work from Home). I had someone I know who desperately needs a job apply for it today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 03:23 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,033 times
I was recently looking into working from home, mainly because I despise my current job and don't make enough at it so while I look for a new job, I still wanted to supplement my income now and unfortunately, my hours and location don't make it feasible to have more than one "brick and mortar" job back to back like I used to.

One thing I did was check out message boards dedicated to stay at home moms who are dedicated to still bringing in an income (work at home moms). They're the best pool for working from home because they're choosing (or have to be) home lol There are plenty of gigs out there, the issue is often how much they pay and finding them.

If you like customer service type deals, 1-800-flowers or whatever it is was hires people to work from home seasonally. I got hired by them but ended up not doing it because it turned out that the hours they wanted would have completely overlapped with my day job (and the pay wouldn't have been enough to justify quitting for it) but it was most certainly legitimate, 100% work from home, and everything, including the training and interviewing was online/via phone.

Anyway, stuff is out there, you just have to do the legwork. Or the butt in chair in front of a computer work. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2014, 05:32 PM

180 posts, read 378,192 times
Well, another option is sales out of your house.

I buy stuff wholesale online from china and sell on ebay for easy profit. Granted I worked in asian wholesale prior but sky's the limit since most of your competitors actually live in china and have to dropship from there($$ and LONG wait times). PM and I'll give you the sites I use.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:10 AM

Thanks Guys!

cyberphonics, yes, I mentioned 1-800-Flowers before. I've emailed them an inquiry before to be hired for the next season, but I've never heard from them. I don't know if they hire WAH reps in California, but I sent out another inquiry email today for Mother's Day hiring time.

minos16, again, no selling on eBay for me. I don't want to get into that kind of thing.

There needs to be a VIRTUAL JOB FAIR with companies hiring for WAH jobs!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
I remember reading a few years ago that one of the national florist delivery services (I don't remember which one) hired people to be work-from-home customer service agents.

I know that's not much to go on, but it's a possibility worth checking into.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:34 AM

552 posts, read 834,685 times
I would recommend not working form home....ever. I've been working form home for 7 years now and it sucks ( even though I get paid 6 figures). Grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence.

There's a lot to be said about networking, and human interaction.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:34 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
I would recommend not working form home....ever. I've been working form home for 7 years now and it sucks ( even though I get paid 6 figures). Grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence.

There's a lot to be said about networking, and human interaction.
That's interesting. I've also been working from home for 7 years and get paid 6 figures. I wouldn't trade this for anything in the world, except for being financially independent of course.

I guess it goes to show how different work situations suit different people.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks Guys!

cyberphonics, yes, I mentioned 1-800-Flowers before. I've emailed them an inquiry before to be hired for the next season, but I've never heard from them. I don't know if they hire WAH reps in California, but I sent out another inquiry email today for Mother's Day hiring time.

minos16, again, no selling on eBay for me. I don't want to get into that kind of thing.

There needs to be a VIRTUAL JOB FAIR with companies hiring for WAH jobs!
Second the bolded!!! lol Hmm, I'll look back at my list of gigs I was looking into and see if I can find another one to post about.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:31 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yes, I know there's been a couple threads on this before. I want to keep this topic VERY much alive because I'm sure many of you, like myself, are sick & tired of working outside the home for various reasons & you would "give your right arm" if there was something legit & even AT LEAST an extra several hundred dollars a month that you can make from home.

MY personal goal is to have 2 or 3 work at home gigs to the point where I make enough to at least live comfortably, meaning, have a modest home (even nice apt which I have now), can travel 1-2 times a year, etc. without scraping by.

I don't like work at home jobs where you have to sell something or it depends on how many people you know, or it's something way too complicated. I'd love taking customer service calls, doing data entry on the computer, even stuffing envelopes if the pay is worth the time. I've tried some things throughout the years without much success.

Now that it's 2014, does ANYONE know of anything at all?

Check out this website: realwaystoearnmoneyonline.com

It's an informational blog. The person who does the site posts reviews on various work-from-home positions. They are legitimate opportunites - BUT the catch is they don't usually pay very much. Most of these are part-time work. If you like being on the phone, there are plenty of opportunities for that, but it's very low pay.

If you see anything about "stuffing envelopes" those are scams.

There are also a few companies to check out who have work from home positions such as U-haul (dispatch), American Express, 1-800-Flowers, GE Capital (store credit cards customer service), Hilton Hotels (reservations) to name a few.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 PM

Thanks guys for really helping myself & others who want the FREEDOM of working at home! We all have different personalities, so someone's always going to not like something. I do know how it feels to work from home & I'd do it FOREVER! I can interact with humans on my own time.

I also thought of Googling & joining the most popular WAH discussion boards. There's got to be some kind of informative info there.

Wry_Martini, if it's other than 1-800-Flowers, I'll try to find out which other flower delivery company it is. If someone knows, please post it.

sunny AZ, I bookmarked that site to look through, thanks so much! Looks good so far.

I PM'd a couple of you.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 01-29-2014 at 11:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment