Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:14 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
How about it's the first time such thing is happening to me and I'm not quite sure how to deal with this?

I'm scared. I'm seeking advice before making any kind of move. I have the right to.

I'm not "still there". I left right after the guy called me a "transvestite" and I haven't been back since. The doctor wrote a note and I'm about to quit. Please, read threads carefully before making any hasty judgments.

Of course, it's always those who seek for advice who are regarded as "guilty" for doing something legit. Sick and sad world.

Besides, you guys do realize people from other countries read this board right?

I'm not tall, I'm 5'2 and I was just wearing my regular working clothes. No crazy makeup. At lot of people there said this man was out of line but people would be afraid of siding with me out of fear.
How old are you? You don't need a note from your doctor to quit an internship that is making you anxious. That's kid stuff. Call whoever you report to and tell him that you're not coming back. That's all you have to do.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times
Unfortunately, I do need to have a valid reason to quit an internship over here. That's how things work. Hence the doctor's note. The doctor suggested the note.

I'm in Europe, but trust me, a lot of people where I work were pretty shocked. He could have used any word after all. Why this one precisely?

The conversation was as such ... "Who's Sarah? Sarah, you mean the transvestite I see everyday? The one with the headband on? She's the other intern?!" Yeah, he was referring to me as I wear headbands everyday.

*I changed my name.

This was a conversation between the boss and the employee right in front of me.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Headband?

Just don't go back. End of story.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:24 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I do need to have a valid reason to quit an internship over here. That's how things work. Hence the doctor's note. The doctor suggested the note.
I'm confused then. If this is an unpaid, uncredited internship that you're doing on your own for personal enrichment and not through your university as you described in your OP, then who needs the valid reason for you to quit? To whom would you be giving this doctor's note?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-16-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-16-2014, 12:40 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How old are you? You don't need a note from your doctor to quit an internship that is making you anxious. That's kid stuff. Call whoever you report to and tell him that you're not coming back. That's all you have to do.
Actually, I filed one, and it was the letter from the doctor that was my ace in the hole, though I didn't know it at the time.

OP you are probably not invested enough in the company or your career to file a suit.

I am not thinned skinned and managed sixteen men and worked in a male dominated industry for years without anyone having issue with me or me with them. Including some hearty and healthy banter.

It's when I finally decided to work elsewhere that I had a problem. All the way down to being smacked in the face by my department manager.

I have sent you a DM with a link to a post, that outlines everything that happened in the course of my doing it.

Personally, I didn't want to do it at all. But you'll have to read it to see why.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
It's an optional internship. I found it myself but the university is supervising the internship. I'm not doing it for credit or anything. It's purely for personal enrichment (it's not a U.S internship).
So quit! You're not getting anything out of it but aggravation, and you can be sure that the jackarses at that place will not be giving you any glowing reviews, so walk out right when they need you most. Next time there is a big "nasty" task to be done, quit. What are they going to do, complain to the university? Please. Those morons only have the power over you that you give them. Get up, pack up, and walk out.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:24 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:

I'm in Europe, but trust me, a lot of people where I work were pretty shocked. He could have used any word after all. Why this one precisely?

The conversation was as such ... "Who's Sarah? Sarah, you mean the transvestite I see everyday? The one with the headband on? She's the other intern?!" Yeah, he was referring to me as I wear headbands everyday.

*I changed my name.

This was a conversation between the boss and the employee right in front of me.

Like a sweatband type headband or a hairband type headband? If the former, then it may be your fault. If the latter then its the douchey co-worker's fault.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times
No, it's the latter. Just a regular girl hairband. I'm smart enough not to wear a sweatband at work.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:04 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
When he calls you a transvestite, you could always say, "it's better than being a girlie man".

I understand how stressful an internship can be, but you need to find the internal fortitude to cope. You'll be glad you did.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
I don't think this is a genuine thread but I'll ask the question anyway.

Why don't you just not go back? Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment