Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:53 AM

53 posts, read 68,780 times

Advertisements

I have a degree in social science. I am willing to relocate anywhere! Tell me where are all the jobs.

Entry level

I read Houston is a hot market right now but the media has been saying that for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 07:54 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,543,992 times
well, there is a lot going on in Houston. I can tell you that much

Old 01-17-2014, 08:12 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,409,165 times
As far as I can tell in my industry (Accounting/Finance) the entry level jobs have just been done away with. Now the experienced associates are doing their job AND the entry level work.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 AM

5,108 posts, read 6,050,707 times
Social Science degree? What kind of job did you think that was going to prepare you for?

I hear there a lot of jobs available in North Dakota but I doubt that they would care whether you had a BA in Social Sciences. They may care if you can drive a truck, are willing to work hard or can be a good sales person.

Honestly even before the downturn in the economy I wouldn't have thought that a degree in Social Science would prepare you for any particular field except to continue going to school and getting a masters or doctorate in a more specialized version of the degree.

That or as a check off that you have a degree and therby are qualified to apply for some government job or a sales job (Enterprise Car Rental, Selling cell phones or cars, etc)

Standing joke in our family is that my daughter got a degree in Psychology but got a job in IT because she had picked up a lot of skills over the years now she is doing very well. ( 'Lab Rats, computer users its all the same thing' is how our standard comment goes)

Last edited by MidValleyDad; 01-17-2014 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,944,891 times
There are jobs everywhere to some degree.

What kind of job are you aiming for?

Do you have an aim? Or do you just "want a job.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM

10,097 posts, read 9,974,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
There are jobs everywhere to some degree.

What kind of job are you aiming for?

Do you have an aim? Or do you just "want a job.
I have a goal. Not too worried. I just feel bad for all those that cannot for the life of them find steady good paying work.

I think it sucks for them and the millions out of work. I really think the main issue is not the deficit or big government but stagnant wages not keeping pace with inflation.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:55 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,951,672 times
If you are in social science you really should be looking at DC. The reality is outside of state capitals there really is not much in the way of opportunities outside of DC with a social science background. Truth be told you should be looking at a city you can get a professional graduate degree in while you work. Ie...DC.

Basically while there may be jobs in Houston, they may not be right for what you majored in. North Dakota's jobs are almost purely for those who are laborers or work in engineering and science related to natural resource extraction.

Also if you have a BA in a social science it is not worth nearly as much, and it will be much harder to find than a BS in one. It's really the quantitative social scientists who find jobs here in the district.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:33 AM

2,047 posts, read 1,744,039 times
I would agree that the DC Area may be your best best. You may want to look for positions at smaller research/consulting firms.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:05 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,488,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspeakable View Post
I have a degree in social science. I am willing to relocate anywhere! Tell me where are all the jobs.

Entry level

I read Houston is a hot market right now but the media has been saying that for years.

See if this will help you find what you are looking for.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...job%20openings

Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM

53 posts, read 68,780 times
I do have preference in relocating out west but I will definitely look more into the D.C job market.

Here is a savvy tool I found on indeed.com

Can't Find a Job? Best and Worst Job Markets | Indeed.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment