Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 PM

322 posts, read 384,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Man, how can you say that? I hate all these "managed" languages don't give you access to the memory location to do your own thing. They want to "manage" everything for you. Which is not always good.
Yeah, automatic memory management is a fail! Go assembly language and C!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,508,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In advanced to coding? Is this the 1960s waterfall approach? Architects don't come up with designs anymore. They didn't even do that when I worked at Google. Programmers come up with designs and present it to Architects in an iterative fashion.
NJBest even if you are talking XP and scrum, some design has to be done at an upper level when multiple projects had to coexist and share the big bones data structure. Then, in each project, sure, it's up to the team. On our iterations though we talked about tasks and how long was going to take to complete them.

However, even when I was working solo on a project I would draw class diagrams, methods and such and put it on the wall - well on the desk, cuz we didn't have walls in extreme programing Of course these changed a lot, once you start coding, but it's a good starting point.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuengineer256 View Post

No it is not a failure

One time I had to convert a dll into vb to be used in a vb.net project.

The code was written by a lab in germany in C++. I was the only one in the team who knew it so the boss gave it to me to"translate".

I dare any of you to find me an equivalent of memcopy() in any manged language.
The code as name sounds copy the content of a region of memory to other region of memory.
Couldn't do it. It remained as a C++ dll wrapped nicely in a c# layer and we called it from vb.net.

that code controlled a delicate and expensive machine. My point it that where it really matters you have to use languages that give you access to the byte. What do you think all these fancy ides are written in? Tell you: C++

Old 01-23-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
This thread has sort of digressed into what constitutes good or bad programming. The OP's question was not that but whether programming is a good field to go into. I remember reading about a guy who had won some high profile programming competition and got a job offer at Google after winning it. I think he was from Russia. But anyway, I read an interview with him. One of the comments that struck me was that he said he liked to solve programming problems similar to the ones in the competition after work because he found it 'relaxing'.

This is an important point. Some people find programming very stressful while others find it relaxing or even fun. Your job satisfaction will obviously be affected by which category you fall into. There is pay, prestige, how you're treated at work. But how much you enjoy the work itself is important too. If you find you enjoy it, it's more likely you'll be good at it. But you need to be honest with yourself. Most programmers will claim to enjoy it for an interview or such without really meaning it.

very good point. yes, the fields is and will continue to be a very good one for years to come, if you like it.
Problem is going into it, one might not have any idea if they like it, because they don;t know what to expect. They don;t know about the pressure in software companies and things like that.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 AM

663 posts, read 1,723,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
No it is not a failure

One time I had to convert a dll into vb to be used in a vb.net project.

The code was written by a lab in germany in C++. I was the only one in the team who knew it so the boss gave it to me to"translate".

I dare any of you to find me an equivalent of memcopy() in any manged language.
The code as name sounds copy the content of a region of memory to other region of memory.
Couldn't do it. It remained as a C++ dll wrapped nicely in a c# layer and we called it from vb.net.

that code controlled a delicate and expensive machine. My point it that where it really matters you have to use languages that give you access to the byte. What do you think all these fancy ides are written in? Tell you: C++
Yes, where you need access to the byte you need a language that gives you access to the byte. But memory leaks are so common and so hard to track down that as long as such a need is uncommon it's worth it to have to occasionally wrap the pieces of code that need that sort of access in a C++ dll in a .NET or Java call than it is to build the entire project in C++.

(FWIW, VB6 had a call called CopyMemory. I'm guessing that function never made the jump to VB.NET? Seems like it would be problematic even if it did make the jump.)

Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,706,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuengineer256 View Post
Hey, there is something to be said for Assembler and C. Nothing is quite the culture shock to switch back to assembly after working with Java for a few years. Going from working with one of the easiest/laziest languages in to world to bare metal programming is a tough transition, even when you have years of experience in it. But unfortunately or maybe fortunately certain types of work still require it, and it earns me one hell of a living, so I just grin and bear it.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:27 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,191,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Hey, there is something to be said for Assembler and C
Low-level programming can be eye-opening for those who have never done it. If they notice it, program size differences can floor them.

These days, even embedded programming can use high-level languages. I'm pulled both ways when I think about it - CPU speed and memory costs are SO low that maybe "it's okay" to be ridiculously inefficient relative to what COULD be done with lower-level languages.

But sometimes I really wonder just how FAST certain types of programs would be if they didn't have the fluff of higher-level implementation.

[I just started up a process explorer and looked at some running programs - Firefox is currently about 380 MEGABYTES in size. Now, I'm sure an awful lot of that is data rather than program but it never ceases to set me back on my heels to see things like that. I "grew up" on PDP11s that had, like, 128KBytes TOTAL for the (early UNIX) OS and programs and data. We crammed our programs into that space and achieved amazing results (image processing lab). Crazy.]

Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,574,605 times
Well, the new trend in tablet use more than PC's due to mobility has forced some of us to actually try to be more efficient with the codes. For me, I've been spending the last couple days going back through my codes and rewriting a lot of the subroutines to make everything run better. When I ran these apps in my i7 work machine, everything went well. But when I tested them in my tablet, holy cow it was sluggish. So, I went back to change a few things. It's amazing how a few lines of codes could change so much the program is run.

I just tested a new version of my biggest app on my windows rt tablet and holy cow it's running so much more smoothly and snappy. What I did was go back and take out some unnecessary check cycles. Allocating memory was another big one.

I've found that simpletons (aka normal folks) don't realize that the UI isn't all there is to a computer program. For every thing that moves on the screen, there are a thousand non-UI things that run in the background.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:37 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,574,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Hey, there is something to be said for Assembler and C. Nothing is quite the culture shock to switch back to assembly after working with Java for a few years. Going from working with one of the easiest/laziest languages in to world to bare metal programming is a tough transition, even when you have years of experience in it. But unfortunately or maybe fortunately certain types of work still require it, and it earns me one hell of a living, so I just grin and bear it.
I personally don't see why java is so popular. Having worked with both java and c, I would pick c any day.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,191,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I personally don't see why java is so popular. Having worked with both java and c, I would pick c any day.
Me, too, however there is MUCH to be praised about OOP; ease of change, ability to get shell (that is, empty) programs running fast, then modify the objects out from underneath it and STILL have running programs is fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment