Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7
Although I agree that I need to report this, I feel like I should not be in a work place that has a 12 year employee act in this manner.
This is a very confusing post. You don't think you should work with someone like this, yet you didn't report him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 12:29 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
I don't care if you are 26 or 76, it is not your age, this long term employee obviously does not respect you. maybe he wanted the job, maybe he thinks you are unqualified, or maybe he is just an ass, but you have to get this straightened out whether you leave the company or not. This is something that can haunt you for years personally as you will know that he is at least a part of the reason you left a job.

The thing is did you earn the job? Are you qualified? If you are than you need to put this guy in his place, the 1st step is to suspend him, whether the boss likes it or not, to be a crew leader you have to have some control over your crew. tell your boss the situation, tell him you do not feel he needs to be fired, but he needs to go home for a while to straighten him out. than only allow him to come back when he decides that he will lose the attitude and will do his job with no problem. If he chooses not to than it is not your problem that he put his ability to support his family at risk by not only assaulting another person on the job, but assaulted his boss.

If you boss does not like it go above his head, if there is nobody that will help you than you start looking for another job.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,728,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This is a very confusing post. You don't think you should work with someone like this, yet you didn't report him.
Yes, I can see how that reads confusing. I believe in integrity, honesty, trust, etc. in a work environment, I have no clue as to how an employee could get away with 12 years of negative/abusive behavior to others (and I have been told this has happened before). This post is asking for advice, what would you do given the circumstances and I see that I need to report the person. I was at a fork in the road and needed some advice as to how you would approach it. I was at a stall and now I believe I need to do what's best for everyone and report the incident. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I don't care if you are 26 or 76, it is not your age, this long term employee obviously does not respect you. maybe he wanted the job, maybe he thinks you are unqualified, or maybe he is just an ass, but you have to get this straightened out whether you leave the company or not. This is something that can haunt you for years personally as you will know that he is at least a part of the reason you left a job.

The thing is did you earn the job? Are you qualified? If you are than you need to put this guy in his place, the 1st step is to suspend him, whether the boss likes it or not, to be a crew leader you have to have some control over your crew. tell your boss the situation, tell him you do not feel he needs to be fired, but he needs to go home for a while to straighten him out. than only allow him to come back when he decides that he will lose the attitude and will do his job with no problem. If he chooses not to than it is not your problem that he put his ability to support his family at risk by not only assaulting another person on the job, but assaulted his boss.

If you boss does not like it go above his head, if there is nobody that will help you than you start looking for another job.
Thank you for the advice, and I can assure you I am qualified for the position. I believe this is the correct course of action. I have never encountered this in my career, and it might not be the last, but I see it as a learning experience for myself as well.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I have no clue as to how an employee could get away with 12 years of negative/abusive behavior to others (and I have been told this has happened before).
You have no clue? Come on, you must have one idea how that can be. Just think about how you handled the situation. Now think about everyone else doing the same thing.

Honestly I think you missed the boat on reporting this. Personally I think your best course of action is to just suck it up. If it happens again then you report it immediately.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You have no clue? Come on, you must have one idea how that can be. Just think about how you handled the situation. Now think about everyone else doing the same thing.

Honestly I think you missed the boat on reporting this. Personally I think your best course of action is to just suck it up. If it happens again then you report it immediately.
I have not had to work with said employee since the time of these incidents, so I doubt it would make any difference if I reported them Monday or 4 weeks ago.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:42 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Yes, I can see how that reads confusing. I believe in integrity, honesty, trust, etc. in a work environment, I have no clue as to how an employee could get away with 12 years of negative/abusive behavior to others (and I have been told this has happened before). This post is asking for advice, what would you do given the circumstances and I see that I need to report the person. I was at a fork in the road and needed some advice as to how you would approach it. I was at a stall and now I believe I need to do what's best for everyone and report the incident. Thank you.
I was made a manager at the ripe old age of 19, partially responsible for management of adults up the the age of 60, it could be that this guy has never once created a problem, but for some reason he does not respect you. Once it gets to the point it has there are very limited options he has left you to straighten things out. If you do not there will be another one on the next job, or the next crew, or even worse you will be forced to deal with this guy long term, so put an end to it now. that is a major part of your job, the management of your staff.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I was made a manager at the ripe old age of 19, partially responsible for management of adults up the the age of 60, it could be that this guy has never once created a problem, but for some reason he does not respect you. Once it gets to the point it has there are very limited options he has left you to straighten things out. If you do not there will be another one on the next job, or the next crew, or even worse you will be forced to deal with this guy long term, so put an end to it now. that is a major part of your job, the management of your staff.
I agree, thank you.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I have not had to work with said employee since the time of these incidents, so I doubt it would make any difference if I reported them Monday or 4 weeks ago.
I'm not sure why not having to work with him since it happened matters. I think you are going to have to answer a lot of questions if you report it now that could call in to question your ability to manage a group of people. Just my opinion.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback, it is why I came here to post this. Although I agree that I need to report this, I feel like I should not be in a work place that has a 12 year employee act in this manner. I am not the first person he has had issues with either. A colleague of mine has had issues with his temper, not physically, but argumentative, etc...and this colleague is one of the nicest persons you'd ever meet. It's not like I can't report these occurrences anymore, I may very well address them with my boss.

Let me also clear something up first: we had a subcontractor working with us, and he did nothing but complain, ***** and moan and literally do no work. I reported this to my boss and requested he not be up on my crew any longer, well low and behold 2 weeks later there he is. My boss could care less.
The fact that you "feel" you shouldn't be in a workplace with an employee like that is only relevant if you actually do something about it. This is not acceptable behavior from ANYONE whether he's a 12 year employee or a 2 month employee, 17 or 47.

I'm totally flummoxed that you would report a subcontractor for moaning, complaining and shirking yet NOT report this employee when he physically assaulted you not once but twice. You surely must realize how totally illogical that is?

And I read what you said about this man knowing where you live, etc. With all due respect, that's the wimpiest excuse I've heard in a long time. Come on, kiddo, straighten up and toughen up. The world is full of bullies and you need to learn how to properly deal with them. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment