Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,505 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent graduate and I find it helpful to look at what people do at certain companies and background that led to that job. Since I worked throughout school I didn't have a chance to do internships so now that's coming back to haunt me as I am unemployed. I'm looking at the internships people held and writing ideas down so I can e-mail companies to try to set up an internship. I've contacted people from my alma mater and they have replied and been kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
I tend to recruit younger job candidates, and it's helpful for those prospective employees to look at my profile to see what background they will be assimilating in.
How do you go about finding candidates? What are some tips you would give someone to become visible to recruiters? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 07:29 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
^^^^ what they all said.

I'm on LI at least 20 minutes every day. Newsgroups, checking job openings, sending notes if someone I know really well has moved onto another opportunity. I include a link to my page in all cover letters as it expands on my resume (as someone noted above). More and more spammers are finding LI and using it however, so I'm a bit more wary of who I connect with than I used to be.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:44 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,305 times
I think LinkedIn is a lot of hype and nonsense. It's surreal how you're asked from time to time to endorse people who you either don't know or barely know. C'mon already.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 PM

23,507 posts, read 23,980,674 times
I have been on LinkedIn since September 2007 and have over 500 connections.

I routinely receive invitations from recruiters for job opportunities. In fact, as of the start of 2014, I have received over 10 job inquiries from recruiters.

I found my latest job opportunity through LinkedIn. I wasn't looking, but a recruiter contacted me about an opening.

No, it is not a waste of time at all.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:25 PM

4 posts, read 8,335 times
Default Nothing, zip, nada

I'm with you. I joined Linkedin back in '07 because my employer recommended it. I had a ton of recommendations from my bosses. Fast forward 4 years and I was unemployed trying to get some traction there.....and nothing, zip, nada. I am employed again now. But I deleted my profile. It's a glorified Facebook....not as fun and I did not find it useful while employed or unemployed.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:42 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,134 times
It depends what your field is but Linkedin has been really helpful to me in getting job interviews. I do know of people whose profile is fake on linkedin like people who have worked as junior resources have mentioned themselves as managers etc and its sad that no one actually checks the content of profile

Old 01-19-2014, 11:17 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,620 times
I don't have many contacts but LinkedIn has been useful for contacting recruiters. I am always able to get the name of the recruiter or HR person I need to contact. Calling a company with the full name of the person always gets better results than "may I speak to HR."

Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,397 times
I get contacted about once every two weeks from a "Recruiter" "based on my experience." However after a few emails I quickly realize they haven't even read my bio. Usually they ask about my years of experience or education level which is right at the top of my bio. I've only interviewed for one job that I was contacted about via linkedin, but I turned it down because the company was a train wreck startup.

I wouldnt cancel the account though because theres still always that off chance...

Old 01-20-2014, 07:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I never really got that much traction out of LinkedIn in the banking and staffing industries, but I was very connected to my "real life" community and didn't really USE LinkedIn.

My husband is in the oil and gas industry and he uses it a lot more than me. He's gotten two bona fide job offers from the site, and he has also found people and businesses to do business with from the site. He likes it a lot.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,604,861 times
I would certainly rank linkedin over monster and careerbuilder , though I find you have to go to websites that specilaze only in the job you want to do for the best success. So if you want something in tech check out dice.com If you want something in media and publishing check out bookjobs.com and mediabistro.com and so on .

I am still undecided on indeed.com, everyone says its great, I am just not seeing it yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment