Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 05:57 PM

5 posts, read 15,907 times

Advertisements

My goodness, a lot has been said since I looked here. Okay, for clarity. We aren't going to walk away from the sale of this house with 100K, I wished, but not even close. We will be lucky to walk away with our down payment minus any equity that we have gained over the last two years. Again, trying to sell fast requires pricing aggressively=marketing it for close to what we paid for it. And yes, the ~35K is the realtor fee, sorry for the confusion.

When I said they offered more than requested, the salary offer to requested was 2% and bonus was 5% over....However, my husband will also be giving up 6 week of vacation down to 4 weeks and traveling 2 weeks a month internationally. So, in some ways a wash.

He is happy with his current position and loves the company, as well. He was approached by this company and the bigger picture for him is that this job offers changes and challenges that are attractive to him in a professional growth way.. more than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:11 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franco-texan View Post
My goodness, a lot has been said since I looked here. Okay, for clarity. We aren't going to walk away from the sale of this house with 100K, I wished, but not even close. We will be lucky to walk away with our down payment minus any equity that we have gained over the last two years. Again, trying to sell fast requires pricing aggressively=marketing it for close to what we paid for it. And yes, the ~35K is the realtor fee, sorry for the confusion.

When I said they offered more than requested, the salary offer to requested was 2% and bonus was 5% over....However, my husband will also be giving up 6 week of vacation down to 4 weeks and traveling 2 weeks a month internationally. So, in some ways a wash.

He is happy with his current position and loves the company, as well. He was approached by this company and the bigger picture for him is that this job offers changes and challenges that are attractive to him in a professional growth way.. more than anything.

don't take it personally..

I think you got some good responses and you have to weigh the good with the bad.

If he's an engineer working for an oil company willing to go to a less desirable area, you might have a good chance without turning off the employer, if he's going to Iraq to work as contractor, demand more, if he's going to a desirable area and this is a promotion, I'd say not a good idea to push it.

It sounds like a good offer and as someone said, he would know best if there is room to negotiate. If I were you I would check myself a little to make sure my expectations were not in line with years past...things have definitley changed, and if he's happy with his current spot he has to weigh the pros and cons of leaving it.

Given all that, to me it sounds like a very good relocation offer compared to what is out there now, even for high level people.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:49 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franco-texan View Post
I see. Much more complicated.

I assumed that when you said your husband had requested a salary he had requested a 'make me move' number. If somebody comes seeking me and asks me to name a salary that will make me quit and relocate, that number is going to be a 25% increase, not a measly 2% or 7%. Plus parity in vacation.

I would not leave the current job, which he is happy with, for 7% unless I really craved 50% international travel, which could be quite a grind. The reloc is not the substantive part of this decision.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:02 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
WOW! some people don't even have jobs, or vacations, or get to travel anywhere, and you're whining about that!? WOW!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:06 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Buying typically results in a loss due to closing costs, when you are early in your career and still moving around.

If you look at the long term picture, you may be in better shape. It would allow you to price the NJ house to sell at a higher price. You can still rent a house in a nice neighborhood.

While the increase in salary is low, the taxes and cost of living is cheaper in Texas. Your husband's per diem for travel will cover food costs for half the year(2 weeks/month).

Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Certainly, he probably doesn't have much to lose by asking. I relocated, and didn't get a penny, but I think the alternative would have been unemployment. Most everyone I know who has relocated (and admittedly, for lower level positions than your husband) have gotten movers, and a cash allowance.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Yes, you are unrealistic. The relo is not meant to cover every possible cost but to offset some of the cost. In this market relo is given less often and for lower amounts.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Why don't you ask your listing realtor for a discount of 25% of their commission IF you allow them to refer you to another realtor? this will be a wash for them re: the referral fee but will save you some fees.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 AM

5 posts, read 15,907 times
Well, though they didn't come back with covering closing cost(aka. realtor fees), they did come back with an additional sign-on bonus and increased salary. Which all comes out in the wash as equal and met. Thanks for all the helpful, insightful and some personal bubble popping(I have a thick skin and I totally get it ) points of view you have shared. My take away will be that we are incredibly fortunate.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
^^good for you.

Make sure you price the house well from the start. And make sure you proof read ALL of the real estate listing right away. Sometimes important things are left off listings by mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment