Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:31 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times

Advertisements

How about hiring a professional coach to help them be better in job interviews?

Actors hire acting coaches

High Level Business Executives hire coaches to help them come across better

Public Speakers, teachers and trainers get coached

Why not painfully shy job hunters?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:52 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,927 times
Likely because most unemployed folks don't have the funds to pay for them.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 PM

180 posts, read 378,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't think the instructor is a bigot, but I do think he/she is overly generalizing.

I have interviewed and hired people from Asia and the Middle East, all women, and none of them were shy. Practically all were recent immigrants. FWIW, we were hiring people who were bi-lingual in specific languages so that may have played a role, but none of us spoke any language but English so the interviews were entirely in English.

Also, FWIW, I have known personally and professionally a number of Asian women in particular and the majority of them are not shy. They were usually very willing to be vocal and speak up when they needed to be and participate regularly in discussions, many times heated discussions where men were involved so I think that that is just a cultural bias of sorts of us Americans in regards to Asian women in some cultures. Also, I grew up in an area with a lot of Arab immigrants and I went to school from K through 12th grade with a number of kids from Iran and Iraq in particular and none of them were shy and none of their mothers were very shy. They also were proud of their Islamic and Persian heritage and most of them had at least a part time job.

I agree that some women are brought up to be "demure" but once they are here, I don't see that continuing with a specific group of immigrants. Those particular individuals just may be shy but I wouldn't lay the blame of their shyness squarely on their nationality or immigrant status.

I have known quite a few loud mouthed immigrants from a variety of countries, including Asian and Arabic nations and worked with a lot of them and none of them had any shyness issues that prevented them from working or getting jobs. Most of them had their own businesses, were going to school, AND worked!
I'll second this....if anything it's language barriers.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,312 times
I dont know about this. my IT floor is 85% FOB asian

Old 01-22-2014, 02:45 PM

322 posts, read 286,342 times
I dont think they are shy or introverted, just maybe uncertain of their english skills or nervous in a new environment. The stereotype of Asian and Middle Eastern women being subservient and meek is such bs. So tired of hearing it. All the Asian and Middle Eastern women I know are just as extroverted as anyone else and I dont believe that is the reason they are not getting a job or a callback.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:36 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
No.

I find it ignorant to assume a personality type based on cultural background. That's not "overly PC", it's treating each person as an individual.
Being "socialized" as the OP somewhat clumsily put it, is NOT a personality type. That's a cultural influence. People are all pretty much the same, but cultures are different, and that means that people are taught to behave differently. When people behave as is expected of them in their home country, that is NOT a personality type, and recognizing it as culturally appropriate behavior (for another culture) is not bigotry, but understanding. Assuming that people all behave the same in the same circumstances, and that any differences are attributable only to individual psychology, is ignorant.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:16 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Being "socialized" as the OP somewhat clumsily put it, is NOT a personality type. That's a cultural influence. People are all pretty much the same, but cultures are different, and that means that people are taught to behave differently. When people behave as is expected of them in their home country, that is NOT a personality type, and recognizing it as culturally appropriate behavior (for another culture) is not bigotry, but understanding. Assuming that people all behave the same in the same circumstances, and that any differences are attributable only to individual psychology, is ignorant.
You're either really struggling to comprehend what I've written, or just mucking up the board.

I've specifically said that regardless of cultural upbringing, people as individuals have varying personality types and behavior. Expecting a consistent personality type from a specific culture is foolish. Nowhere. Repeat - nowhere - have I said that anyone should expect people to behave the same in the same circumstances. You're just flopping that red herring in there to try and substantiate whatever argument you've decided to pick here.

So, I'll repeat, again, individuals have varying personalities. Expecting an Asian woman or a Persian male to act in whatever stereotyped manner in which your bias dictates is "normal" for their race is foolish and insincere. Thus, the OP's lumping "immigrants" in one type is grouping by the wrong characteristic. It's not the cultural background that places these people in that category, it's the personality type.

There are plenty of examples on this board and in real life of this very dynamic.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:15 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNguyen View Post
It is a shame because these introverts are very good workers. However, the problem you described can be overcome. I certainly did. I think joining Toastmasters can help these people. My brother has the same problem and he is unemployed right now. He is too afraid of the interview process. He doesn't believe he can get any job with his accent while competing against native speakers during an interview. I am trying to tell him to go to Toastmasters meetings but he doesn't believe it will work for him. It works.

Toastmasters - the importance of communication skills for your career
This is an excellent recommendation. I interview people from all over the US and overseas and recently recommended this to someone like your brother. Accents are fine, but if the speaker is hard to understand it distracts the listener from the topic of conversation. If he has a hard to understand accent, I would also suggest an accent reduction coach such as this type of company which I have no connection to Private Accent Reduction and American Accent Training

To the OP. I think your are painting people with a broad brush as I have interviewed the people you mentioned and found some of them to be quite aggressive. But I have also met some who are like you described.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:48 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
America in recent years has been flooded with Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants. Many are highly skilled and willing to work hard. They would be excellent employees.

Trouble is many are scared to death to interact with people outside their family and friends. English is a second language to them and they are unfamiliar with how people find a job in America. Their culture does not encourage assertive behavior on the part of women, so they don't sell themselves.

Now days even lower level clerical jobs require intense interviews and conversations with at least five people just to be come a finalist for the job.

But many of these applicants, while well meaning and interested, are just so painfully shy that they really struggle in today's competitive job market.

What can be done so painfully shy but well qualified applicants can get hired?
This is NOT isolated to middle eastern or asian folks only! Over the other side of the world people don't have to "sell themselves' to get a job! Everyone is EXPECTED to work, so employers are not acting like they do here where it's some privilege to work!

Old 01-23-2014, 04:51 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It is very difficult. HR and companies hate Introverts/shy people. They'd rather hire someone who drinks on the job or has a felony record than hire someone shy. As I've commented before the shallow nature of the selection process in addition to the bias against introverts will kill them. The only thing they can do is learn to fake their way through it.
Big diff between an "introvert" and a "shy" person! HR's better read the dictionary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search