Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:17 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Socializing between levels at work, outside of required company functions such as a Christmas party, is a recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 05:29 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,472 times
I do all the time, and I love it. Recipe for disaster or not, it provides for a fun workday, and makes everyone more comfortable. I will never be the type to just come in, nod, and not talk you the rest of the day. I try to talk to those type people too, to make them more comfortable. Nothing wrong with being friendly at work!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:41 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Friendly and communicative is one thing, pounding back shots after work is another.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:54 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
My boss and I talk about almost everything under the sun, that is appropriate of course. I generally have always had a great relationship with my employers in general including the CEOs and my direct bosses. I couldn't imagine working in such a stale environment that had no regular conversation.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:13 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times
I have had a number of very unfriendly bosses in my day. They could talk just fine if it was about a work related issue but if I made any attempt at friendly non work topics I would just get stared at.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,389 times
It really depends on people's personality. I am friendly with a few of my bosses, but fairly formal with others (yeah, I have a lot of bosses!)

Old 01-23-2014, 01:01 PM

416 posts, read 871,479 times
My direct reports socialize with me and talk about their personality lives, kids, hobbies, etc, when time permits, and I do the same. My boss and I don't talk as frequently (maybe once a week - he is located out-of-state), but when we have free time on calls we will socialize a bit.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM

192 posts, read 403,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post
My boss and I don't talk as frequently (maybe once a week - he is located out-of-state), but when we have free time on calls we will socialize a bit.
Same situation here, he doesn't invite it often but once and awhile we'll talk a bit about what's going on with us either individually or as a group. We do crack quick jokes though and can talk pretty freely with one another. He is the same way with everyone in my group, within the group though we do socialize quite a bit in fact two families have become extremely close friends and do a lot of things together, so the environment we have doesn't really condone socializing just my boss is very down to business.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I have had a number of very unfriendly bosses in my day. They could talk just fine if it was about a work related issue but if I made any attempt at friendly non work topics I would just get stared at.
They're telling you, with that stare, that they don't care for you on a personal level. Boy, have I gotten that stare before. I'm thinking of one boss in particular...she was fairly friendly to most everyone... even to me on occasion...but I was NOT her cup of tea and you could tell she'd get antsy when I spoke to her for very long.

On the bright side, and this is horrible (I almost feel guilty), she got fired last week! She was responsible for "laying off" several people including me because of a big thing at work several years ago. I was her scapegoat. Her passive-aggressiveness and poor decision making finally bit her...as it bit me so many years ago. I never wished her ill will but I won't lie...I actually smiled and laughed when I found out she got canned.

As for my current boss, he's 150 miles away in another office. We do not chitchat. However, in the office with other groups, there is a LOT of personal info being conveyed daily. They get down to business, but I know a lot more than I should about my coworkers. They don't really know that much about me... other than I like cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment