Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:53 AM

544 posts, read 1,438,878 times

Advertisements

Florida is not. We were told when we signed our lease if we broke it we were responsible for the entire lease and that they were not responsible for re-leasing the property in that case. A lot of properties here are vacant owners and managed by property management companies who do little to take care of the property but sit back and collect the rent + their fee. That plus having to pay security, 1st AND last month's rent...on a 6 month lease, that's half of the lease right there. If you break it, you lose all that money. I'd have to find the Florida statutes and see if that's correct, I'm more familiar with Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:26 AM

35,648 posts, read 21,015,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekocat View Post
Florida is not. We were told when we signed our lease if we broke it we were responsible for the entire lease and that they were not responsible for re-leasing the property in that case. A lot of properties here are vacant owners and managed by property management companies who do little to take care of the property but sit back and collect the rent + their fee. That plus having to pay security, 1st AND last month's rent...on a 6 month lease, that's half of the lease right there. If you break it, you lose all that money. I'd have to find the Florida statutes and see if that's correct, I'm more familiar with Colorado.
\

In Fla there is a new law and you have the options... a private owner may not know this, but rental property management and apts complexes do. The choice is in place in FLA. The new LAw I think was 2012... but not sure, and leases are renwed yearly as a rule , so you should fall within new guidelines. My lease is up May 22...I dont have any news yet, but probably have to report end of March/ and no I'm not-- I am near oldsmar,,, and no one to sublease to--besides not allowed

Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 AM

544 posts, read 1,438,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
\

In Fla there is a new law and you have the options... a private owner may not know this, but rental property management and apts complexes do. The choice is in place in FLA. The new LAw I think was 2012... but not sure, and leases are renwed yearly as a rule , so you should fall within new guidelines. My lease is up May 22...I dont have any news yet, but probably have to report end of March/ and no I'm not-- I am near oldsmar,,, and no one to sublease to--besides not allowed
Thanks I'll see if I can find it.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:09 PM

4,265 posts, read 8,164,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
If you can a government letter saying that you are moving at the government's request then you may get a break from your landlord. Similar to government contractors getting a travel orders letter when traveling so they could get the government rate at hotels. At the time I was doing such traveling most hotels honored the letter but some didn't. If you can such a letter and a sympathetic landlord you may be able to avoid the fee.
I had something similar happen recently, and, the owner and leasing company cut me a break on getting out of the lease if I could get someone in to take my place. I was able to do that and it worked out well for both sides. Just ask nicely and see what options you have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment