Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:58 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

No question, firing people is hard. "It's the management duty I hate most," entrepreneur David Robins said.

"But in a start-up, margins for error are so slim and time is so critical, sometimes you just don't have a choice."
Robins speaks from experience. Cofounder of Binfire, which makes collaborative project-management software, Robins has let three key employees go since 2010 -- all within six months of their start dates.

Hardest part of being the boss: Firing people - Jan. 23, 2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:45 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Yep. Firing people is hard. Firing people who have become your friend over the years is even harder.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:33 AM

164 posts, read 838,326 times
I've had to do it probably half a dozen times. The first one hurt the worst and I was upset about it for days. Without trying to sound cold and callous now, I've come to accept that unfortunately it's usually due to the employee's actions (or lack thereof) and thus they've brought it upon themselves. Still never easy.

Now, laying off a well-performing employee due to restructuring or something? That would kill me and to be honest I'm not sure I could do it.....

Old 01-26-2014, 09:39 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
I've had to do it probably half a dozen times. The first one hurt the worst and I was upset about it for days. Without trying to sound cold and callous now, I've come to accept that unfortunately it's usually due to the employee's actions (or lack thereof) and thus they've brought it upon themselves. Still never easy.

Now, laying off a well-performing employee due to restructuring or something? That would kill me and to be honest I'm not sure I could do it.....
It's business and anyone that understands business will understand these types of layoffs/firings.

As to your first comment on the firing of employees, I 100% agree. They bring it upon themselves, they essentially fire themselves and you just have to be the hammer that drives that nail into their own hand crafted coffin.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
It's hard but sometimes someone isn't cut out for a particular job and you might view it as giving them the opportunity to find something more suitable to their talents or personality.

Also someone should have enough verbal warnings and write-ups to not be overly surprised when they are let go -- but also many people will try to get themselves fired so they can get on unemployment handouts, they'd rather have free money than have to show up to work.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I have felt badly firing people that just didn't have what it took to do the work, that should never have been hired by my predecessor, but in some cases such as an employee that would drive drunk in the company vehicle, despite providing counseling, that fakes job injuries or steals from the company, it's satisfying to finally get rid of them after all of the documentation and warnings.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:05 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have felt badly firing people that just didn't have what it took to do the work, that should never have been hired by my predecessor, but in some cases such as an employee that would drive drunk in the company vehicle, despite providing counseling, that fakes job injuries or steals from the company, it's satisfying to finally get rid of them after all of the documentation and warnings.
Have you had to fire someone due to physical abuse/violence? If an employee was physically abused twice and other employees saw it the second time, not the first, would you fire the accused person on the spot? I understand companies have different policies, but this is a question based on your experience.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:07 PM

151 posts, read 258,145 times
One lady in our Engineering group has been with the group for 25 years and so is my boss. This lady was a poor performer in the beginning but in the last 10 years she has turned progressively worst. All engineers except her come to work at 7 and she used to come in a 8. Over the last 10 years, she slowly moved her start time to 8:30, 9:00, and now finally 10. After everyone leaves at 4 or 4:30, she would leave too. My boss is too close to her. I don't think he can fire her. One time he gently reprimanded her in the annual review and she was crying for an hour. If she works for the 6 hours there, I and others wouldn't be complaining but she works for less than half of the time she is there. She is spending most of her day complaining about other people and she really believes that she is the most productive member on the team. She some how convinced herself that she is too busy and too important. Fortunately, we have a system that tracks our productivity very effectively and last year she is rated at 30% efficiency. Amazing.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:11 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNguyen View Post
One lady in our Engineering group has been with the group for 25 years and so is my boss. This lady was a poor performer in the beginning but in the last 10 years she has turned progressively worst. All engineers except her come to work at 7 and she used to come in a 8. Over the last 10 years, she slowly moved her start time to 8:30, 9:00, and now finally 10. After everyone leave at 4 or 4:30, she would leave too. My boss is too close to her. I don't think he can fire her.
That is annoying, but so are the people that actually stay all day and take forever to get anything done.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:35 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Honestly? If you can't fire or lay off people, you shouldn't be managing them to begin with.

I have had to fire people before and, while not pleasant, I stayed calm and professional and answered questions. It's hard. I get it. But if you accept a management positions, it goes with the territory. On the other hand, I've been laid off twice (over the course of a 20 year career) and both times were due to division-wide layoffs (not performance-related). The first time, the corporate head actually started crying when she was giving us the news. Oh, please. Nothing like getting laid off by a blubbering idiot who gets to keep her job. The second time, the manager was so nervous, she could barely get it out and didn't know the answers to very basic questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment