Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times

Advertisements

If you want to work on the backlog and stay longer, then do it. Don't expect any kind of extra pay for it. When you are salaried, you work as long as it takes to get the job done.

Be careful about taking on extra work, thinking it's temporary. Upper management might decide to add that work to your plate permanently, and not hire additional people. And you would then have to figure out how to squash extra work into your day or start working longer hours just to get all your work done. This is very common in corporate America today. It's become an expectation and folks that mention it to their managers can be labeled as whiners. Often the response is "we are all busy" or "everyone works extra hours".

To be honest, if I was in your shoes I wouldn't open a can of worms and offer to do this work or bring it up to management. Instead, I would pitch in temporarily when I could, until the new team members are hired. Else your open position might get closed out because the work is being handled by the team (cost savings!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 03:14 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X View Post
What problems would it possibly be opening up from an employer perspective? Genuinely curious on your statement.

Upper management is doing everything they can to get more manpower in place. Losing so many at once was the factor in this. This seemed like a decent suggestion of a temporary fix. I do agree that it may bring up a discussion on other ways that can get the team meeting expectations working within our currently salary; that doesn't seem to be much of a risk though because I fail to see how the answer would ever be "yes, do that, but for free". Maybe I'm too optimistic about that.
Once your employer starts paying you additional wages based on you working extra hours, you could no longer be considered exempt, and that could mean you were never exempt. This potentially opens the employer up to the possibility that they'd be liable to pay you hourly for all the hours you worked while classified as exempt. It also is foreseeable that other managers in similar positions could make a claim that they are miscategorized as well, and seek additional compensation. Not a can of worms an employer would want to open.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:41 PM

216 posts, read 605,468 times
Interesting.

I do have the option of working the extra hours and using them to accrue comp tome, so I might just go that route in order to not open up potential problems. Thanks for the insight on this, everyone who replied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment