Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 16,239 times

Advertisements

Speaking from the '50 HR managers with 51 answers' mindset, as an HR manager i always find it very odd when someone tracks down my name to contact me on linked in as a follow up for their application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 02:29 PM

160 posts, read 266,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah_V View Post
Speaking from the '50 HR managers with 51 answers' mindset, as an HR manager i always find it very odd when someone tracks down my name to contact me on linked in as a follow up for their application.

Would the say that approach which do more to hurt their chances of getting as oppose to help it?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,309,684 times
Quote:
It's not odd.

There are two reasons:
1. I can't tell you how many times my resume has gone into a black hole, and you don't even get a "thanks for applying" or even a "sorry we hired someone else" 4 weeks after you applied.

2. People are conditioned to "follow up"

Old 02-13-2014, 04:15 PM

402 posts, read 744,535 times
Quote:
Maybe look at it from a different perspective. The candidate was interested enough in the position and your company to take time and do research to seek you out in hopes of standing out from the mass of resumes we understand that you get.

Remember when follow-up was a good thing?

Old 02-13-2014, 05:39 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,318,244 times
Quote:
What's 'odd' is that an HR manager would find that 'odd'.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:57 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,687,957 times
Quote:
People taking the time to apply to a company,and wanting 'some' idea that their resume was even received( hell, even if its an auto reply) is odd?

What I'm noticing more and more are ads that state 'only qualified applicants will be contacted'. With all this modern technology one would think that communication was easier today but nope..... 20 years ago companies were more likely to respond you with nothing but a typewriter and snail mail at their disposal.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
People taking the time to apply to a company,and wanting 'some' idea that their resume was even received( hell, even if its an auto reply) is odd?

What I'm noticing more and more are ads that state 'only qualified applicants will be contacted'. With all this modern technology one would think that communication was easier today but nope..... 20 years ago companies were more likely to respond you with nothing but a typewriter and snail mail at their disposal.
It's like the old NES zapper game Gumshoe, don't call us, we'll call you.

I can understand the logic though. The HR manager may get inundated by all these different people sending out a notice that they put in for the job. It may bog down their inbox and add work. Plus when you consider that you have all the filters, perhaps the person is all for not as their applications hit the shredder for not having the right buzzwords, experience or relevant experience.

I will agree that feedback was MUCH easier before technology entered the job search. It is rare that I get feedback other than "your application has been received" when it comes to private sector jobs. Surprisingly, my feedback from a local school district has earned me more interviews on a smaller amount of applications.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Why is that odd? Someone who is qualified for a position that interests them takes the time and energy to send a resume and than they wait weeks to hear something, and don't, so they inquire.

Congrats, you just gave an example as to why job applicants hate HR.

Do you think people apply for fun and don't expect a response?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:59 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,010,237 times
Quote:

I find it odd that you're on LinkedIn (A website for NETWORKING) and when people use it for it's intended purposes, you have a disdain for it.

Do you find it odd that people put gas in their cars?

Old 02-14-2014, 02:04 PM

50 posts, read 129,592 times
I would actually be impressed that a candidate took the time to find me on Linked In. It would make me think that they are very adept with social media AND that they really want the job. Maybe the key is to finding the actual hiring manager and writing to them on Linked In. Skip the H/R people altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment