Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 AM

66 posts, read 169,459 times

Advertisements

Obviously networking is a huge part of any job search these days.

So I was wondering, if you wanted to work for a company that you didn't personally know anyone at, and you had no better than a 3rd-person connection to any of their employees on LinkedIn, how would you go about bridging that gap?

I know you can pay the site $10 or something ridiculous like that to send a random person a direct message, but I was hoping to find a smoother way in than just the random creepy stranger approach.

Any tips or tricks for getting connected to employees of a certain company on LinkedIn or otherwise?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 10:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Work those 2nd-degree connections.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the response. As I mentioned in my first post, I don't currently have any 2nd-degree connections to the company I wish to work for. That's why I'm trying to figure out how to bridge the gap and was asking for suggestions on how to do that.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:38 AM

I guess what I meant is that you need to methodically work the people in between you and that 3rd-degree person.

Think of them all as planks on that bridge you want to build.

Using Linked In directly, I believe there is a "Get introduced ..." option that shows you the most likely people you would use to get to that person. Choose the person you know best because you need someone who would be willing to step out and make another connection on your behalf.

Write that person (a 1st-degree connection) a quick message and simply spell out your goal. Then ask that person to pass along your message and contact info to the 2nd-degree contact and ask THEM to pass your message to the desired person.

Sort of like, "Hey Bob, my friend Action100 was hoping you would pass this message to your friend John Smith."

Old 02-03-2014, 01:30 PM

So, I mean on a level it sort of makes sense.

But really, what's the difference between that and just emailing the person you are trying to get in touch with directly and telling them what you need to tell them?

Either way seems quite impersonal.

It's either,

"Hi my name is ____ and I've been interested in your company..."

vs.

"Hey boss, a friend of a friend, neither of whom you know, wanted me to pass along the following message:

'Hi my name is ___ and I've been interesting in your company..."

Old 02-03-2014, 01:42 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
I have linkedin so that recruiters can contact me, I think thats the only real reason for the account. When people try to connect with me on linkedin I generally get the idea that its to get something out of me. I feel like if I add people (higher up's) they get the idea that Im just asking for a job.

What I really hate is when people from India add me as a friend on facebook because I have my job listed on there. I get like 1 a week.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action100 View Post
So, I mean on a level it sort of makes sense.

But really, what's the difference between that and just emailing the person you are trying to get in touch with directly and telling them what you need to tell them?

Either way seems quite impersonal.

It's either,

"Hi my name is ____ and I've been interested in your company..."

vs.

"Hey boss, a friend of a friend, neither of whom you know, wanted me to pass along the following message:

'Hi my name is ___ and I've been interesting in your company..."
I don't really think Linked In is the best way to do it. I mean, you asked, and that's my recommendation for how.

Truly effective networking needs to happen in person. Check the target person's profile for memberships (Chamber, Rotary, etc) and attend some meetings with the goal of introducing yourself.

Otherwise, you might as well just email them.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:30 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,282 times
Take a look at some of the industry groups as well, I've picked up a couple of connections out of those.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:43 PM

291 posts, read 505,834 times
Sometimes, LinkedIn gives a month free membership and it allows you to send messages to people you aren't connected to, so you should look into that. Just remember to cancel before your trial ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment