Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:51 AM

2,135 posts, read 1,791,532 times

Advertisements

Also keep in mind that while this forum is a great resource your experience may be different than the others in the forum. I'm in a similar situation in that if I believed everything negative that I've read there would be no way that I could get a job in another state much less expect the employer to pay relocation but I'm about to fly out for an in person interview at the company's expense for a position that will pay relocation if I'm chosen (this will be the 4th interview so I think it is a good possibility).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 12:20 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
You have GREAT skills for work in the US. You'll do fine!

Old 02-03-2014, 12:27 PM

313 posts, read 496,932 times
That's fantastic! I live in California, and I love it. I live in northern California (which I think is better than LA, but that's another story) and when I first moved here I was like a kid in a candy shop. It's such a beautiful state, with really friendly and interesting people. Most I've met in CA are transplants, so you'll probably be welcomed just for the fact that you're from somewhere else.

I'm sure you'll find a job, don't worry! Just enjoy the journey, you're not crazy at all!

Old 02-03-2014, 02:01 PM

34 posts, read 41,099 times
Thank you guys

this is rather uplifting.

I must confess that, even if the plan has been designed long ago, now that I am pretty close to the big "move" I am getting rather scared.

That s a strange feeling for me because most of my life i have always been quite reckless and positive.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:52 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
I did the reverse -- went to work in Europe for awhile. I was younger and it wasn't a career move but I still knew no one and had to support myself.

I was terrified lol

I think people need to realize they will almost always be scared before a big move, its not a bad sign, its normal.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:17 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Absolutely not! As long as you both want to make the move I think it is wonderful. My husband and I moved across country around the same age. He changed careers and couldn't be happier where he landed. Best of luck to you and your wife!

Last edited by veuvegirl; 02-03-2014 at 06:30 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 06:51 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
I think the change coming your way may be a good one but I see how it can be for you as I suspect a lot of times we doubt ourselves when we know there is change. I believe you can find work in LA to match some/all of your skills. The best of luck on the move and finding the new job.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:54 PM

47 posts, read 191,347 times
I'm from Denmark and I moved first to LA and last year to SF. I absolutely love it here and will never move back to Denmark.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
As a retired life long salesman, let me tell you that you have an advantage most of us never had. I did very well, and was as high as division sales manager for half of the U.S. with a large well known company. If I had your language ability, the sky would have been the limit.

That advantage is, you speak and write 4 languages. There are many international companies, that would love to get you for your business/sales experience backed up with your language ability. The headhunters would love to meet you, and find you a job. You will be a real feather in someones cap, so to say.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 AM

34 posts, read 41,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
As a retired life long salesman, let me tell you that you have an advantage most of us never had. I did very well, and was as high as division sales manager for half of the U.S. with a large well known company. If I had your language ability, the sky would have been the limit.

That advantage is, you speak and write 4 languages. There are many international companies, that would love to get you for your business/sales experience backed up with your language ability. The headhunters would love to meet you, and find you a job. You will be a real feather in someones cap, so to say.
Again, thanks everybody
I feel way more postive toward the big challenge that awaits me.

I hope that in 6 months from now I will be able to tell you how much I love to be in California and how everything is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment