Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:26 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
None of them are unemployable.
With the right training and guidance, all of the 9 people you described can do the work.

If only training was still done.........Lots of employers don't train anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:36 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
No, but your response said you could answer what makes one unemployable to YOU, and then you said no one. I brought up some scenarios for you out of curiosity.

To me, what makes a person unemployable is a negative attitude, a victim mentality, someone who nitpicks everything, is not reliable or dependable, is dishonest, will not take responsibility for where they are at in their lives, has a know-it-all or superior attitude, etc.

We see this here in the forum where some of the people unable to land jobs are the very ones who make excuses for everything. Some try to offer suggestions in an effort to help them, to no avail. They come back with one excuse after the other. They play semantics. They bicker just to have something to do. They are angry and combative. They complain and have negative things to say about corporations and managers and company policy. They're miserable people living miserable lives and then blaming everyone and everything else for their misery.

Those are people who cannot get jobs because of who they choose to be, not because of any insurmountable external conditions.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:38 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
To me, what makes a person unemployable is a negative attitude, a victim mentality, someone who nitpicks everything, is not reliable or dependable, is dishonest, will not take responsibility for where they are at in their lives, has a know-it-all or superior attitude, etc.

We see this here in the forum where some of the people unable to land jobs are the very ones who make excuses for everything. Some try to offer suggestions in an effort to help them, to no avail. They come back with one excuse after the other. They play semantics. They bicker just to have something to do. They are angry and combative. They complain and have negative things to say about corporations and managers and company policy. They're miserable people living miserable lives and then blaming everyone and everything else for their misery.

Those are people who cannot get jobs because of who they choose to be, not because of any insurmountable external conditions.
We haven't agreed on a lot, but I can say we agree on this.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
We haven't agreed on a lot, but I can say we agree on this.
That's better than never agreeing at all!

Old 07-11-2014, 10:15 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,837 times
Quote:

I like your response but the last sentence is not quite true.

The reason is... In a situation where someone is wanting to be hired on as a employee the final decision is made by the hiring company. Which means reaching the goal is not really under the control of the person looking for a job. Even when operating a business the success of that business is not determined by the business but by the customer. If no one buys what the business is selling then the business will fail.

So in reality we are all victims of circumstance. That being said allowing your behavior to be controlled by your environment is a bad thing. So the people who have a negative attitude are allowing it to happen. They can choose to stay positive. A person who is dishonest chooses to be that way.

If our success was only up to our own choice then everyone would be successful at everything they wanted to be successful at! Because they would just need to want to be successful at something and like magic it would happen.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
I like your response but the last sentence is not quite true.

The reason is... In a situation where someone is wanting to be hired on as a employee the final decision is made by the hiring company. Which means reaching the goal is not really under the control of the person looking for a job. Even when operating a business the success of that business is not determined by the business but by the customer. If no one buys what the business is selling then the business will fail.

So in reality we are all victims of circumstance. That being said allowing your behavior to be controlled by your environment is a bad thing. So the people who have a negative attitude are allowing it to happen. They can choose to stay positive. A person who is dishonest chooses to be that way.

If our success was only up to our own choice then everyone would be successful at everything they wanted to be successful at! Because they would just need to want to be successful at something and like magic it would happen.

I never said our success is solely in our own hands. You are talking about everyone in general, I think. I'm talking about people with self-defeating attitudes which can knock them out of the running long before they get to a decision maker.

As I've posted previously, we are all faced with difficulty, it's how you handle it that makes a person employable or not.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:45 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
Quote:

Yeah, so when your employees throw my job application in the trash because they don't want anyone else working at the store it's my fault? When you act like a coward and never let me know if I got the job or not it's my fault? When you post ads on craigslist everyday advertising "part time opportunities" but completely skip my application it's my fault?

When I follow up on the status of my application, and you rudely and violently yell at me and tell me you aren't hiring for the coming future it's my fault?

Get out.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:22 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
Out of these 9 people I made up, which would you say is the most unemployable for professional jobs? What about non professional jobs?

1. Steady Job History. Steady career progression in their professional jobs. Absolutely no professional references. Now unemployed.

2. Steady Job History. Steady career progression. Employed for 9 years between two different companies. Now unemployed 1 year because they just finished serving time on their felony conviction.

3. Recent University graduate. No Internships. No Experience in their field. Held service job/s and did volunteer work throughout university. Now Unemployed 7 months.

4. University Graduate 3 years out of school. Had internship in school. Never worked in their field. Qualifies as a job hopper. Now Unemployed.

5. High School graduate. Has experience in unrelated field. Perfect references, cover letter, etc. Terrible interviewee.

6. Unemployed 60 year old. Perfect references, cover letter, job history, etc.

7. Someone between 40-50 years old who is morbidly obese and had to restart their career because what they were trained in before is no longer relevant or exist. Unemployed 2 years.

8. Someone with visible tatto on their neck or face. Perfect references, cover letter, job history, etc. Consitently does volunteer work (plural). Unemployed 2 years.

9. Someone who worked as a stripper or some other kind of employment people are prude about prior to wanting to change careers.
#1 could be hired for professional or non-professional job without any problems.

#2 not for a professional job - felony conviction will result in finding a "more qualified" candidate i.e. anybody else, non-profession/skilled labor probably no issue for employment.

#3 could be hired for professional or non-professional positions without any problems. Degree will matter in starting salary (likely why s/he is unemployed 7 months later - wants more money than current skill set is valued at by industry).

#4 not sure I would hire, but this is me about 35 years ago. I had a very successful career once I found a required work/talent fit. Not unemployable in either category, but would probably get significant scrutiny prior to a hire, and other candidates were felons.

#5 could be hired for either professional or non-professional position, but would likely get an "additional" interview prior to the offer. Interview skills are NOT job skills, but...

#6 every time I saw this applicant, s/he would get an offer.

#7 probably a pass for both professional and non-professional positions. 2 years is a long time to be unemployed, AND skills were not developed/enhanced during this time; screams unmotivated. The obesity (probably unfairly) adds to that perception. Without current training and improved health (weight loss) this one is unemployable to me (and I am morbidly obese, it's the whole package that creates the problem, not just the weight).

#8 I am old, so visible tattoes and professional positions don't mix, however, this is rapidly changing as tattoes are ubiquitous with the 20-30 yo set, and they are the next generation of professional managers. Non-profession position? Absolutely would hire.

#9 Pass. Would hire for either once s/he has 3 years in a position to develop skills and distance from previous employment.

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 07-11-2014 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Yeah, so when your employees throw my job application in the trash because they don't want anyone else working at the store it's my fault? When you act like a coward and never let me know if I got the job or not it's my fault? When you post ads on craigslist everyday advertising "part time opportunities" but completely skip my application it's my fault?

When I follow up on the status of my application, and you rudely and violently yell at me and tell me you aren't hiring for the coming future it's my fault?

Get out.

It's this kind of misdirected diatribe that indicates the maturity level of some of the people here.

Calm down, I haven't done anything to you.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:05 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
I'm simply describing the behavior of basically every employer out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment