Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 PM

659 posts, read 940,220 times

Advertisements

I am planning to become a Bookkeeper or do Payroll for a few years before getting my Bachelor's in Accounting. My overall goal is to leave the United States and work abroad. I know the Big 4 has firms all over the planet, I don't know about other firms though. Roughly how long in the industry do I have to work before I get the opportunity to go abroad?

Would love to work in China, Singapore, Australia or even some parts of Europe My thinking is that it takes 10 years or so but I keep getting these stories online from expats that worked at Firm A and got transferred within 3 years or so to Firm A in Country X. So I'm not sure.

I've always wanted to work and live abroad. Can't keep this wanderlust at bay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
I am planning to become a Bookkeeper or do Payroll for a few years before getting my Bachelor's in Accounting. My overall goal is to leave the United States and work abroad. I know the Big 4 has firms all over the planet, I don't know about other firms though. Roughly how long in the industry do I have to work before I get the opportunity to go abroad?

Would love to work in China, Singapore, Australia or even some parts of Europe My thinking is that it takes 10 years or so but I keep getting these stories online from expats that worked at Firm A and got transferred within 3 years or so to Firm A in Country X. So I'm not sure.

I've always wanted to work and live abroad. Can't keep this wanderlust at bay
I think it may depend on factors like how many other people in the company want to work abroad and may apply for open positions. If you can afford to do some interning for the companies you are looking at before getting a job with them, that may give you some inside info on working for them abroad. Is there a reason you could not simply apply for open positions they have in other countries rather than "putting in time" in the corp in the US?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:37 PM

Simply put, I would need to put in time for a US company in order to get the money saved for a Bachelor's in Accounting or a CPA in the future. Foreign countries don't really have CPAs from what I recall. And it's also a Plan B. If things don't work out in the foreign country, I could move back to the USA and get a job that pays relatively well because of my B.S. degree and CPA as opposed to only having the Associate's and still having that entry level job.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:30 PM

280 posts, read 350,348 times
Bookkeeping and payroll are not really considered accounting jobs. Working either one of those jobs is almost definitely not going to help you get into a big 4 firm. While there is no CPA abroad there are other professional designation that are the equivalent. Getting a CPA may not help you get a job abroad. Outside of the US most countries follow IFRS (international accounting standards).

Old 02-04-2014, 08:33 PM

180 posts, read 377,946 times
wrong major.... I'd do study abroad in college or attend an Asian university as a foreign student if foreign accounting is your dream.

I never met a foreign accountant while living as an expat....I've met lots of different expats but never an accountant.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Being a bookkeeper or payroll admin are kind of dead end jobs, but they will give you a wage to cover the college costs. I believe most states now have a 150 hr requirement for sitting for the CPA exam, so you might as well get a Masters degree. Why not do undergrad in accounting and a foreign language? Then a masters in Internation Business?

Accounting standards can sometimes vary by country, but much of the world is standardizing and the plan is for the US to eventually move into these international standards. A solid accountant should be able to learn the international standards.

Going to work for a large multinational like PWC or Deloitte would give you a good opportunity to go abroad. I have known of a few accountants on long term assignments overseas.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
You're going to need to keep a job for more than a couple months to be able to land that overseas gig.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:43 PM

@Suncc49: That's what I'm doing. I'm taking the bookkeeping jobs for a few years here in the states to help pay for my undergrad in Accounting. As for International Business, I did research online and they pretty much said degrees in International Finance and International Business aren't that coveted compared to just getting an Accounting degree. Pretty much, it was said getting an Accounting degree and then getting a job abroad opens more doors and is much easier to work abroad than just getting International Business degree.

-shrugs- I don't really know tbh. I'm not planning to work at the Big 4 until I get my undergrad out of the way.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:30 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minos16 View Post
wrong major.... I'd do study abroad in college or attend an Asian university as a foreign student if foreign accounting is your dream.

I never met a foreign accountant while living as an expat....I've met lots of different expats but never an accountant.
I was one. And met a lot of them. I see this as a fairly typical occurrence in big public companies.

OP - one path that might get you where you want to be is to try and get a job with a big public company as an internal auditor once you get an accounting degree.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:44 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
@Suncc49: That's what I'm doing. I'm taking the bookkeeping jobs for a few years here in the states to help pay for my undergrad in Accounting. As for International Business, I did research online and they pretty much said degrees in International Finance and International Business aren't that coveted compared to just getting an Accounting degree. Pretty much, it was said getting an Accounting degree and then getting a job abroad opens more doors and is much easier to work abroad than just getting International Business degree.

-shrugs- I don't really know tbh. I'm not planning to work at the Big 4 until I get my undergrad out of the way.
Masters of Accounting is good, but focus your courses towards something useful internationally, like cost accounting. If you get a Masters in US taxation, it won't help much abroad.

I really like that you are focusing on paying as you go with no debt!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment